Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Fjord Cruise 2019 - Totally Overwhelmed!

Fjord Cruise 2019 - Totally Overwhelmed!

Postby Mungo » 22 Sep 2018 08:08

After May P&O will have stopped gratuities being added automatically.

You’ll get a cheaper deal probably on a large ship like Azura as she has far more balconies on offer. Also P&O offer a variety of fares. Select is more expensive as you get to choose dining sitting and cabin number and get shuttles if required into towns free plus usually some on board spend. Then comes Early saver and finally Saver fares. Cheaper but less cost. It all depends on the difference in price as to what we book. Fred offer Anchor fares (similar to P&O’s Saver ones) and sometimes other offers are available. You need to research well! :mrgreen:

Good luck with your search!
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Fjord Cruise 2019 - Totally Overwhelmed!

Postby khkate » 23 Sep 2018 19:38

As you say you have just retired, you must be over 50/ Thus, have you looked at Saga? Initially the prices are higher, but their ships are smaller - Saga Sapphire takes 720 passengers. you can pick your cabin, no need to buy a drinks package as house brands of spirits and soft drinks are included, tops are included, you also get door-to-door transfer to/from the ship (or freeparking at the port), insurance included. Thus once on board little extra expenditure apart from shore excursions (which you can prepay before you go. Just a thought - and something else to consider.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 25 Sep 2018 10:19

contacttheresa wrote:Thank you all so much for your help!

Am going to have a look at Fred Olsen cruises so I can compare with P&O.

Am now torn whether to go a little later than planned, maybe June as from advice weather may be kinder to us and we will get better use from the balcony!

Its good to get lots of viewpoints and I know I will just have to 'go for it' and chose a cruise. Wish I was a person who could just do that from the start lol!

Any more advice still welcome!

BTW july is wet month :lol: is anytime i go anyway. Not sure how accurate that is but thats what i was told on the bright side the waterfalls are always beautiful after a downpour
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 25 Sep 2018 10:21

another thing with fred is the drinks package looks good on paper but its actually quite limited and doesn't include things like cocktails but does include house wines, house spirts, beer and soft drinks it gives other drinks such as cocktails at 50%. I like Fred but also like RCI and P&O :lol: actually id go on a ferry if it was touring where i want to go :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby judgegeoff » 26 Sep 2018 05:12

contacttheresa wrote:Thank you all so much for your help!

Am going to have a look at Fred Olsen cruises so I can compare with P&O.

Am now torn whether to go a little later than planned, maybe June as from advice weather may be kinder to us and we will get better use from the balcony!

Its good to get lots of viewpoints and I know I will just have to 'go for it' and chose a cruise. Wish I was a person who could just do that from the start lol!

Any more advice still welcome!

£3,000 for just 7 nights seems rather expensive to me. My wife and I have just returned home from an 8 night cruise from Shanghai to Japan and back to Shanghai aboard Royal Caribbean's "Quantum of the Seas". The package included flights from London to Beijing, 3 nights in an excellent hotel in Beijing with an included tour to visit the Great Wall, the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, a flight from Beijing to Shanghai, a night in a hotel in Shanghai prior to boarding the ship and flights from Shanghai to London. We had a very nice balcony cabin with unrestricted views and the deluxe drinks package which gave us any drinks up to the value of $12 per glass. The package cost for the two of us was just over a third more than the cost that you have been quoted for the Fjords cruise so yes, I do think that the quoted cost seems rather excessive.

Have you looked through the cruise reviews on the forum? There are many reviews of cruises to the Fjords (I did one for an "Aurora" cruise to the Fjords in September of 2017). We had an inside cabin then but the review of the ship and the photo albums attached might help you get a feel for the ship and the cruise. I hope that this is useful.

Please do not hesitate to post any more queries, there is always somebody who can help.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous