Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - CMV in liquidation

CMV in liquidation

CMV in liquidation

Postby newmember » 21 Jul 2020 09:07

FY, Various news reports yesterday that CMV has gone into administration, and all cruises are cancelled with immediate effect.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

CMV in liquidation

Postby Gillzajoker » 21 Jul 2020 10:29

Oh, what a shame! :cry:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

CMV in liquidation

Postby judgegeoff » 21 Jul 2020 22:00

Very, very sad, particularly for the staff. But I suspect that they may not be the last cruise line to go under due to this pandemic. Hard times are ahead! :(
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: CMV in liquidation

Postby Camela » 22 Jul 2020 21:35

Cruise ships are in port, air services restricted and few passengers, trains virtually empty. Resorts and hotels that open are of necessity a shadow of their former selves. The travel industry is in a major decline in which there will be few winners in the short term. Keen travellers are not booking despite inducements and I like many other have my travel budget waiting to be spent. We really can only hope that a vaccine is found to enable confidence in our world again - very sad.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 23 Jul 2020 10:34

Camela wrote:Cruise ships are in port, air services restricted and few passengers, trains virtually empty. Resorts and hotels that open are of necessity a shadow of their former selves. The travel industry is in a major decline in which there will be few winners in the short term. Keen travellers are not booking despite inducements and I like many other have my travel budget waiting to be spent. We really can only hope that a vaccine is found to enable confidence in our world again - very sad.

I, for one, would not pin my hopes on a vaccine any time soon. They take years to develop, test, improve, test,
perfect, test, etc. etc. To date, the quickest that a vaccine was ever produced was the Mumps one, and that
took 4 years. Ebola 'surfaced' in 1976 and they haven't got one for that. The AIDS virus took 20 years. The
annual flu vaccines are 'hit and miss' (which the scientists themselves say, albeit in different terminology) as they
have to more or less guess which strain will be prevalent for the forthcoming season, and despite millions having
that vaccine annually, between 450,000 and 650,000 people die from seasonal flu every year, world-wide.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Peka » 26 Jul 2020 11:26

Not really a surprise, for a long time I have wonder how they managed to stay in business for so long. :shock:

My parents just lost their cruise though, on what was to become the Amy Johnson. :(

Do you think that Marco Polo (55) and Astoria (72!) will be scrapped?

Edit -

Just found Marco Polo for sale on this site QPSShips
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

CMV in liquidation

Postby adogap » 27 Jul 2020 12:12

Hope Marco Polo continues to sail with another line, really classic ship and apparently the engines are the original.
I don't think CMV owned Astoria, she was chartered from a company in Lisbon and due to be returned next year?
Real shame CMV couldn't stay 'afloat', definitely more business for FOCL. I wonder if this is why they purchased Amsterdam and Rotterdam?

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 06 Jan 2021 18:29

Sadly all their ships are sold now and mostly going for scrap :( - Marco Polo is heading to Alang now.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to CMV