Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Marco Polo?

Marco Polo?

Marco Polo?

Postby Trace » 05 Apr 2015 17:59

It's about to start again on Quest +1, ( Sky channel 195,) it was really good and worth watching :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Marco Polo?

Postby khkate » 05 Apr 2015 18:16

Sorry Mungo - I must have missed those photos. There was a Portuscale ship ip on the pages too.

Saga Ruby was sold to be a floating hotel in Myanmar but following various posts on a different forum, it became apparent that the company that were going to use her had gone into administration. She has ben sitting in a shipyard in Thailand that is not equipped to carry out the conversion and there were hints that she was transferring to a shipyard in Rotterdam to be worked on. So, it is highly likely that she is up for sale again - wouldn't it be great if she could be brought back into service either as a cruise ship or a floating hotel somewhere inEurope where all the Saga Ruby fans could stay on her again (and others too of course).
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Marco Polo?

Postby Mungo » 05 Apr 2015 20:59

Trace wrote:I'm just watching Mighy Cruise Ships on Quest at the mo, it's a Marco Polo cruise that it is featuring, on a Baltic cruise.

I saw the programme a few months ago...... Really enjoyed it. :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Mungo » 05 Apr 2015 21:00

khkate wrote:Sorry Mungo - I must have missed those photos. There was a Portuscale ship ip on the pages too.

Saga Ruby was sold to be a floating hotel in Myanmar but following various posts on a different forum, it became apparent that the company that were going to use her had gone into administration. She has ben sitting in a shipyard in Thailand that is not equipped to carry out the conversion and there were hints that she was transferring to a shipyard in Rotterdam to be worked on. So, it is highly likely that she is up for sale again - wouldn't it be great if she could be brought back into service either as a cruise ship or a floating hotel somewhere inEurope where all the Saga Ruby fans could stay on her again (and others too of course).

That's OK :D

Would be nice to her back in the UK. ;)
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Barry » 06 Apr 2015 11:29

khkate wrote: ..... would be a suitable addition to the Saga fleet. Certainly her ice-strengthened hull would make her ideal for the Arctic cruises.

I sincerely hope not, don't think the shareholders would be overimpressed either :roll:

Vintage ships like vintage cars are expensive to maintain and although are great sentimental value seldom perform as good a newer models.
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Marco Polo?

Postby Skier Pete » 06 Apr 2015 15:47

Mungo wrote:Ship for sale and Saga Ruby....... They sadly look the same. :(

That's because they are both Saga Ruby

here's an image of both of them, the easy difference to spot is the shape of the porthole/windows

Saga Ruby upper image
Marco Polo lower image

Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Marco Polo?

Postby Mungo » 06 Apr 2015 16:33

Pete, both Marco Polo and Saga Ruby are up for sale. :(
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Peka » 06 Apr 2015 17:12

Total facepalm moment there Pete :lol: reason read the whole thing before replying! We were in no doubt about different ships!

Trace, We recorded the Mighty Ships and watched before going away and it got deleted, but the powers of undelete saved it once more :lol: I wanted to rewatch it and see who I could spot! Didn't realise it would be repeated so quickly (probably should have)
Peka

Booked: Adriatic 2019 / Black Watch

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Marco Polo?

Postby Skier Pete » 06 Apr 2015 17:41

Mungo wrote:Pete, both Marco Polo and Saga Ruby are up for sale. :(

Yes I know that but your caption is

" Ship for sale and Saga Ruby"

which to my understanding of the English languauge means two seperate identities i.e. the ship for sale being the subject of the thread Marco Polo and the Saga Ruby.

However an alternative way of reading that statement is as a comparison of the ship for sale with the Saga Ruby to confirm identity.
Such are the quirks of the English language, which gives rise to ambiguity very easily and one of the reasons no good legal document has any punctuation except for full stops, as the use of commas is a prime reason for mistakes made by ambiguous meanings

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Skier Pete » 06 Apr 2015 17:44

Peka wrote:Total facepalm moment there Pete :lol: reason read the whole thing before replying! We were in no doubt about different ships!

I don't think so!!!!
Read my explanation of English lanuage quirks in sentence constuction in my earlier reply.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext