Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Review: Family from Hell enjoy their three rivers Christmas Market cruise with M/S Aurelia

Review: Family from Hell enjoy their three rivers Christmas Market cruise with M/S Aurelia

Review: Family from Hell enjoy their three rivers Christmas Market cruise with M/S Aurelia

Postby tomvet » 07 Dec 2017 11:33

judgegeoff wrote:I have just revisited your review Tom and see that you have now added the photos. It looks like the girls had a fantastic time and I am very envious of that half metre long sausage baguette . Mmmm! Brilliant photos, thanks very much. :thumbup:

Indeed Geoff, the sausage and deep fried potato cakes were divine, followed up with white chocolate fruit skewers and covered marshmallow (irish cream liquer flavour). Then there was the Liebkuchen and the Stollen!!! Not to mention the odd cup or two of Gluhwein!

As I say they are a feast for the senses - smells, tastes, sounds, atmosphere, colour - simply great. We only came accross two grumpy stall holders - one got irate a I took a photo of her lantern and said they were copyrighted - I simply asked, if I bought one, I could still take the photograph. I asked had she them patented - she looked puzzled!

Ketchup with your sausage sir?

or some to take back home sir?

Last edited by tomvet on 07 Dec 2017 13:35, edited 2 times in total.
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Review: Family from Hell enjoy their three rivers Christmas Market cruise with M/S Aurelia

Postby khkate » 07 Dec 2017 11:37

Thank you for sharing your holiday - it brought back memories of the first river cruise we did, which visited most of the same ports (not Bonn, Frankfurt and Dusseldorf) and not at Christmas. We are soon off an a Christmas Markets OCEAN cruise - that visits 5 different markets in a week! I too am looking forward to the gluhwein, etc - though not too sure about merry-go-rounds, my joints can't handle them these days.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Review: Family from Hell enjoy their three rivers Christmas Market cruise with M/S Aurelia

Postby tomvet » 07 Dec 2017 11:42

khkate wrote:Thank you for sharing your holiday - it brought back memories of the first river cruise we did, which visited most of the same ports (not Bonn, Frankfurt and Dusseldorf) and not at Christmas. We are soon off an a Christmas Markets OCEAN cruise - that visits 5 different markets in a week! I too am looking forward to the gluhwein, etc - though not too sure about merry-go-rounds, my joints can't handle them these days.

Lesley, you only have to sit on them and let them take you around, not have to push Harry on one.
:D

Have a great cruise? Would do the Christmas Markets all over again. Actually looking at one that sails from Frankfurt along the Main to Affashein and Wurzburg - its another 4nighter. I also saw a 4 nighter on the Seine ex Paris, calling at Rouen and Vernon for €189 for 4 nights - am tempted there - but that's next week!!!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Dec 2017 12:54

Fantastic review and photos, Tom - loved it all :D

(And if youre the family from hell, I'd like to be adopted into it!) :thumbup:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby adogap » 07 Dec 2017 12:58

Hi Tom. Your girls are delightful! They have grown so much since we last met and it is lovely to catch up with them . Well done to Mai for all her help :clap:
Scenery is fabulous, I was expecting it to look much colder. Only you could fit in so much at each location (I would have required a cardiac ambulance after 533 steps :oops: )
Ship is lovely and very tastefully decked out for Christmas.
I really enjoyed your review and photos, thank you

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 07 Dec 2017 13:15

Gillzajoker wrote:Fantastic review and photos, Tom - loved it all :D

(And if youre the family from hell, I'd like to be adopted into it!) :thumbup:

No problem Gill - would be delighted to have you. We may have to enter negotiations if you wish to bring your aquatic aquaintances with you. :D
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 07 Dec 2017 13:47

adogap wrote:Hi Tom. Your girls are delightful! They have grown so much since we last met and it is lovely to catch up with them . Well done to Mai for all her help :clap:
Scenery is fabulous, I was expecting it to look much colder. Only you could fit in so much at each location (I would have required a cardiac ambulance after 533 steps :oops: )
Ship is lovely and very tastefully decked out for Christmas.
I really enjoyed your review and photos, thank you

Chris

Great to hear from you Chris. Pity HAL didn't facilitate a meet up in 2017. Note to self, check for 2018 possibilities.

Yes the kids are growing up fast. Mai lost her first tooth on the cruise - devastation followed by elation! :lol:

The 533 steps were not bad - coming down was worse than going up.

I cannot say anything negative about this cruise - perhaps a dry morning in Koblenz would have been nice but we did get a lovely afternoon for the scenic sail down the Rhine!

You must be in the throes of packing for your next cruise! Have a good one!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 07 Dec 2017 16:11

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your review Tom - it's greatly appreciated! :thumbup:
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 07 Dec 2017 16:28

I frequently look into cruising mates but rarely post these days.

I had to make an exception today a though because I so thoroughly enjoyed your review Tom.

Having been on a cruise with you and Mai, I know what a great Dad you are. Having also spent time with you, Mrs TV and all the little girls, I also know that you are most definitely NOT the family from hell. They have always behaved well in restaurants both on and off ships and are a joy to be around.

It was great to see the photos of the girls and how they have grown. As we were in Cologne ourselves 3 weeks ago, it is such a shame that our paths didn't cross.

Thanks again for a great review. :thumbup:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 07 Dec 2017 18:23

JollyJill wrote:I frequently look into cruising mates but rarely post these days.

I had to make an exception today a though because I so thoroughly enjoyed your review Tom.

Having been on a cruise with you and Mai, I know what a great Dad you are. Having also spent time with you, Mrs TV and all the little girls, I also know that you are most definitely NOT the family from hell. They have always behaved well in restaurants both on and off ships and are a joy to be around.

It was great to see the photos of the girls and how they have grown. As we were in Cologne ourselves 3 weeks ago, it is such a shame that our paths didn't cross.

Thanks again for a great review. :thumbup:

Thanks Jill. Indeed we have had fun times with you and Peter and hopefully we can have more in future.

I know we are not the family from hell it is just he that thinks so but deep down even he cpuldnt believe it. He just cannot deal with others that are as intrepid as himself. So to make him feel better he tries to take the feet out of others. Pitiful really.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

PreviousNext