Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - River cruising with Shearings

River cruising with Shearings

Postby tomvet » 30 May 2015 12:45

Anyone ever thought of taking a river cruise with Shearings, they certainly have some very good prices!

Shearing's River Cruises

Not sure about the quality and getting to them does involve a very long coach drive - but that could be part of the fun too!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 30 May 2015 12:54

Thanks for that Tom.

Having had a couple of holidays with Shearings, we would certainly consider a river cruise with them.

I've had a look and quite fancy a cruise on the Rhine. Germany is a country I would like to see more of.

A thought for the future maybe. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 30 May 2015 13:00

JollyJill wrote:Thanks for that Tom.

Having had a couple of holidays with Shearings, we would certainly consider a river cruise with them.

I've had a look and quite fancy a cruise on the Rhine. Germany is a country I would like to see more of.

A thought for the future maybe. ;)

'Future' :!: :?: :!:

You are know to change your mind in just 17 short hours!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: River cruising with Shearings

Postby khkate » 30 May 2015 18:51

The two river cruises that we have done in the the 1990's were both with Wallace Arnold (which has of course now been taken over by Shearings). They were both very good and exclusive charters. One was on the Rhine and the other was on the Rhine and Moselle. They both included transfer by coach from local stops to the interchange point, which was South Mimms and then picking up the tour coach, which went via the Channel Tunnel and onto Amsterdam. This transfer was all done in one day and was very long. On the first one, we got to the ship after dark and the gangplank was not properly lit and somebody fell between the pier and ship. The second one, there had been a problems with the coach and we didn't get to the ship until about 10pm and we had to cross over two other boats to get to ours. However, the actual cruises were wonderful, some excursions were included and it was quite relaxing. I think now, at least for some of them, they do provide the possibility of a flight transfer which would be much shorter, and certainly we would consider them again in the future.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Oct 2019, Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral