Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Booked: A Cruise on Seine Princess - and a house in Normandy!!

Booked: A Cruise on Seine Princess - and a house in Normandy!!

Postby Dave » 31 Aug 2015 22:39

As I mentioned in another topic (Carry on Cruising? Or is it time to move on?) we've been struggling to find a 14-night summer 2016 cruise itinerary that appealed to us. So we seriously considered doing a two-week land-based holiday in Normandy instead. Today we arrived at a compromise - or rather the best of both! :D

To cut a long story short, we've decided to do a 7 day river cruise on the Seine from Honfleur to Paris followed by a week in a holiday home in Normandy. A map will help me describe what we'll be doing: We'll drive from Whitstable to Folkestone or Dover (tunnel or ferry) and cross to Calais. Then we'll drive to Honfleur where we'll leave the car and board the ship to Paris (we've both been to Paris a few times, but not together). From Paris, we'll take a train and a taxi to Honfleur to get the car and drive to the house at Vire. And when it's all over, we'll drive back to Whitstable.

We chose Seine Princess simply because the cruise fitted our dates and requirements. We booked through CroisiEurope's French website because the price was a lot less than it was on their UK site! We're very happy with our choice (at this moment!) because, from the photos, Seine Princess looks very like the last river cruise ship we were on - Viking Neptune, which we thought was a very nice ship. (BTW, Seine Princess has just the one suite so we booked it. :D )

Although we both want to explore Normandy, we chose to stay in a holiday house so that we could invite the four kids and two grandkids to spend a week with us. We spent a lot of time browsing websites before deciding on this one which looks perfect for the adults and the children (there's also a sauna and a big pond!):

So there we are; we'll be doing a cruise next summer after all - and it'll be our fourth river cruise! :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Booked: A Cruise on Seine Princess - and a house in Normandy!!

Postby Camela » 31 Aug 2015 23:02

Really sounds like a good summer holiday - time for two and the family.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby tobysgranny » 01 Sep 2015 01:18

Looks fabulous Dave. I'm sure you will have a great time.

It's a long time since we have holidayed in France. We used to go often when the girls were younger which was easy living in Plymouth and using Brittany Ferries, and before, of course, cruising took over. We both love Paris too.

The river cruise from Paris to Honfleur sounds really great and worth thinking about for the future.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby adogap » 01 Sep 2015 08:27

I’m sure the scenery from Honfleur to Paris will be stunning, I did not think that it was possible due to low bridges. We have booked a French river cruise on Braemar next summer but it can only go as far as Rouen and then we are bused into Paris, not nearly so romantic! Train journey back to Honfleur will be rather special as well, how long does that journey take?

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 01 Sep 2015 09:28

Sounds fab. Just out of interest did you know that CDF base a ship in Calais that cruises to the Fjords.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 01 Sep 2015 14:18

adogap wrote:I’m sure the scenery from Honfleur to Paris will be stunning, I did not think that it was possible due to low bridges. We have booked a French river cruise on Braemar next summer but it can only go as far as Rouen and then we are bused into Paris, not nearly so romantic! Train journey back to Honfleur will be rather special as well, how long does that journey take?

Chris

Hi Chris

You probably already know this, but river cruise ships can go under very low bridges. In this photo from Viking Neptune you can see that the room from where the captain usually drives (?) has been lowered - and that she (we had a female captain) and an officer are using external controls. We were sitting on the top deck and had to duck as we went under this bridge - great fun!

Fred says that the train from Paris to Honfleur takes about two hours.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Sep 2015 14:25

Looks a wonderful place - and with the cruise, you've got the best of both worlds! :D
Last edited by Gillzajoker on 02 Sep 2015 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 01 Sep 2015 14:30

tomvet wrote:Sounds fab. Just out of interest did you know that CDF base a ship in Calais that cruises to the Fjords.

Thanks for that Tom. When we were in Calais a few weeks ago I saw a small cruise ship and meant to find out more, but I'd forgotten until you reminded me. I've had a quick look at the Croisières de France website and their prices look quite low. With some of their cruises based so close to us it would be very convenient for us, so I'll take a longer look now... :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 01 Sep 2015 14:42

It looks like a lovely combination Dave and one that we would certainly consider in the future. (When one of my kids makes me a Granny).

We are already considering more river cruises in the future and maybe exploring more of our own shores too. ;)

As P is reluctant to fly long haul, the world is becoming a smaller place for us. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby SandraDJ » 01 Sep 2015 18:26

That sounds like a lovely compromise. One of these days I will do another river cruise, if I can find a reasonable solo price.

Honfleur is gorgeous.

Have a great time.
Booked cruises:

Ovation of the Seas - Inaugural/Maiden voyage round trip out of Southampton - April 2016
Britannia - Southampton to Bermuda (repo) - October 2016
Norwegian Epic - March 2017
SandraDJ
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next