Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Booked: Phoenix Reisen M/S Sofia Danube Cruise

Booked: Phoenix Reisen M/S Sofia Danube Cruise

Postby tomvet » 06 Jun 2016 17:16

Well I did say that after our Costa Mediterranea cruise that we would rethink our cruising strategy - this time we are going to check out a river cruise on Phoenix Reisen's 190 passenger M/S Sofia.

As Mai is starting 'big' school in September we are now more or less confined to school holidays so this cruise will be taken at Easter 2017. We intend to have a few nights in Bavaria pre-cruise that has to be planned and organised yet :D .

The itinerary: 4 countries, one new one for me, three new for the kids, All new ports for all of us! :thumbup: :D

Tue 18/04/17 Passau / Germany 15:30
    Wed 19/04/17 Vienna / Austria 10:00 21:30
    Thu 20/04/17 Esztergom / Hungary 08:00 09:00
    Thu 20/04/17 Budapest / Hungary 13:00 22:30
    Fri 21/04/17 Bratislava / Slovakia 14:30 18:30
    Sat 22/04/17 Dürnstein / Austria 08:00 13:00
    Sat 22/04/17 Scenic Cruising Wachau (Danube) / Austria
    Sun 23/04/17 Passau / Germany 09:00

Can't wait to sample the river cruise experience! :thumbup:
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Trace » 06 Jun 2016 17:30

Wow Tom do you ever stop!! How many cruises has Mai done now? I know she cruised before the twins came along. I hope you keep diaries/ notes of them all for when the girls are grown up.

Never thought about a river cruise, hubby fancies trying one but I aren't sure, I don't know why... Maybe as I like the Med/Adraitic area, for a bit of sun?

Look forward to hearing more about it :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 06 Jun 2016 17:33

That's great news Tom! I can't wait for you to sample the river cruise experience either. :thumbup: :D

We're doing our fourth river cruise next month. It doesn't mean that you'll enjoy a river cruise... but we do and I really hope you will. (Actually, I'm sure you will because I think you'll find that most people on a river cruise are travellers as opposed to cruisers - if you see what I mean.)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 06 Jun 2016 18:03

Looks amazing Tom, there must be so much interest on a river cruise, even if it is just sitting back and enjoying the scenery.
You have ten months to brush up on your German.
Gut gemacht!

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 06 Jun 2016 18:51

Well done,Tom.

What is the cabin situation on a smaller river vessel? I assume you will have had to take 2 cabins.

Lots of planning to do for shore visits and plenty of new languages for the young 'uns to adjust their ears to ;) it looks like fairly short visitsxto most places . Is it really only I hour in Esztergom ?

I hope it all works out well and you have a great time.

I assume it will be mostly German Officers ? - and European crew ? Not an Italian shrug in sight ? ;)

Ich wunsche Ihnen eine herrliche Kreuzfahrt auf der Donau .

You WILL Enjoy ! JA ??? ;)
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 06 Jun 2016 19:08

octocruiser wrote:Well done,Tom.

What is the cabin situation on a smaller river vessel? I assume you will have had to take 2 cabins.

Lots of planning to do for shore visits and plenty of new languages for the young 'uns to adjust their ears to ;) it looks like fairly short visitsxto most places . Is it really only I hour in Esztergom ?

I hope it all works out well and you have a great time.

I assume it will be mostly German Officers ? - and European crew ? Not an Italian shrug in sight ? ;)

Ich wunsche Ihnen eine herrliche Kreuzfahrt auf der Donau .

You WILL Enjoy ! JA ??? ;)

JA! Kath we will most definitely.

I think the hour in Esztergom is to do a tour that later finishes in Budapest and meets the ship there.

Yes we took a drei bett cabin and a regular double. Kids get a 30% discount even if they are the second passenger plus €30 pp discount plus €80 OBC so all in all a good deal.

Yes Deutsch officers and Bulgarian crew!!! and yes hopefully no Mediterranean shrugs onboard.

I am very excited about this from every facet!
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 06 Jun 2016 19:11

Dave wrote:That's great news Tom! I can't wait for you to sample the river cruise experience either. :thumbup: :D

We're doing our fourth river cruise next month. It doesn't mean that you'll enjoy a river cruise... but we do and I really hope you will. (Actually, I'm sure you will because I think you'll find that most people on a river cruise are travellers as opposed to cruisers - if you see what I mean.)

I think we will. OH is just a tad concerned on how the kids will be kept occupied at night with no theatre show! At that time of the evening we may have the sun deck to ourselves to run and tire ourselves out.

We will no doubt enjoy ourselves and are looking forward to something a little different to what we have been used to. :D
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Mungo » 06 Jun 2016 19:29

Sounds good Tom! :D

A river cruise is on my to do list and am sure at some point will get round to trying one! :thumbup:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Booked: Phoenix Reisen M/S Sofia Danube Cruise

Postby Peka » 06 Jun 2016 21:13

:clap: Yay! I reckon this will be another Cruising Mates first! :mrgreen:
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic 2019
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Re: Booked: Phoenix Reisen M/S Sofia Danube Cruise

Postby dst87 » 06 Jun 2016 21:30

Sounds wunderbar Tom. A river cruise is definitely on my to-do list so I look forward to hearing how you get on!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Next