Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Booked: Another Phoenix Reisen river cruise before we have taken our first cruise.

Booked: Another Phoenix Reisen river cruise before we have taken our first cruise.

Booked: Another Phoenix Reisen river cruise before we have taken our first cruise.

Postby tomvet » 08 Jul 2016 22:39

This time we are moving from the Danube to the Rhine on a short break river cruise covering the Christmas Markets on Phoenix Reisen's Aurelia. It is not until Christmas 2017 and we never book this far our, however in the 5 week Christmas Market season even this far out, we booked the last available cabin in our budget aka the cheapest :D We hope to tag on some cheapie Ryanair or Eurowing flights when they become available!

I won't bore you all with the technical details of the ship as they can be read elsewhere once the author of that website gets wind of this and denigrates my choice etc etc However, it is on an all inclusive basis, well apart from spirits. We also get €30 OBC!!! :D

All inclusive
Full board with breakfast buffet , multi-course lunch and dinner , afternoon tea / coffee and cake , midnight snack . Upscale European cuisine . House wines , draft beer , soft drinks such as cola , lemonade , juices, mineral water , coffee / tea

This is the route

I have to say she looks a very neat littles ship with great Carpets!!! :D

Not sure how scenic the Rhine will be in November, but this is a cruise for the kids and getting into some pre-Christmas cheer! :D

October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby adogap » 08 Jul 2016 23:19

Looks great and a what a fabulous itinerary to purchase all those Christmas treats. Minivets will be enthralled!
I’m not surprised it sold out so early

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 08 Jul 2016 23:36

It all looks great Tom - the ship and itinerary both! :thumbup:

I won't be reading anything elsewhere so I'll have to make do with your accounts...
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Booked: Another Phoenix Reisen river cruise before we have taken our first cruise.

Postby tomvet » 08 Jul 2016 23:56

Looks like Phoenix Reisen will be our new very best friend. We are no longer Costa. I received a response on our Costa Mediterranea complaint - finally in English! They offered my wife and I €50 discount on a future cruise to be taken before Feb 1st and only if booked at the full brochure price. For starters, no one pays the full brochure price. Secondly, we tried to book a cruise on Fascinosa for Feb 18th but did not follow through on it - however, in their response Costa made reference to it and their disappointment that we had cancelled it - then to offer a discount that was end dated prior to a cruise we expressed an interest in! In not so many words I told them to stick their offer where the sun don't shine!!! and cced the response to thamm@costa.it!

I expect to be told that I am now on Costa's black list. :D
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Jul 2016 14:58

Like the look of the river boat, Tom.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Mungo » 09 Jul 2016 15:50

Looks and sounds good! :D
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Booked: Another Phoenix Reisen river cruise before we have taken our first cruise.

Postby jocap » 09 Jul 2016 20:45

Tom, I once won an Inter-Railing holiday in that area in late Nov/early Dec, and travelled from Rotterdam to Vienna with various stops and side-rail tracks along the Rhine. It was still very beautiful, but I do remember the intense cold which comes when you're well away from the sea. I know I always advise people going on Christmas market cruises to take hat and gloves, but the cold we felt penetrated up through our sensible shoes, and we needed big hoods more than just hats! Loved every minute, but it's certainly colder than living on an island, however vast.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 09 Jul 2016 22:58

jocap wrote:Tom, I once won an Inter-Railing holiday in that area in late Nov/early Dec, and travelled from Rotterdam to Vienna with various stops and side-rail tracks along the Rhine. It was still very beautiful, but I do remember the intense cold which comes when you're well away from the sea. I know I always advise people going on Christmas market cruises to take hat and gloves, but the cold we felt penetrated up through our sensible shoes, and we needed big hoods more than just hats! Loved every minute, but it's certainly colder than living on an island, however vast.

Hi Jo
Thanks for the heads up. I have been to Maastricht(which is not that far away from the area we intend to cruise) in January and I got cold burn through my trouser legs. It was worse than what I felt in Rovaniemi, Northern Finland (above the Arctic Circle) in December. I have been to Christmas Markets in Frankfurt and Poland and it was mild, however, while snow would be magical, it does come with a price. We shall dress appropriately.
Tom
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 12 Jul 2016 21:16

Deposit paid and final payment not due until 21 days before departure!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tobysgranny » 13 Jul 2016 14:54

Really impressed Tom. All looks excellent and very tempting for the future.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Next