Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Scenic future sales presentation - Maidstone 14/6/17

Scenic future sales presentation - Maidstone 14/6/17

Postby judgegeoff » 14 Jun 2017 19:09

Chris and I spent this afternoon at the Marriott Tudor Park Hotel near Maidstone, where we were attending a Scenic Information Session to promote Scenic's river cruises and introduce their first venture into sea cruising.

Maidstone is about a 35 minute easy drive from our house and we arrived at the Hotel at 2:00 pm and were directed to the Hotel's 'Thurnham Suite' where we were welcomed by ladies from the Scenic company. The room had been set out with a large screen at one end and with large round tables, each seating around 8 or 10 people with packs of information about their current and future cruises. Tea and coffee was available at the rear of the room.

There were four ladies from Scenic – Lucy, Stacey, Wendy and Sophie and Lucy started a presentation at 2:30 pm, beginning with Scenic's river cruises. It was a good presentation with Lucy speaking for about 5 minutes, followed by a short video, then Lucy speaking for a further 5 minutes, then another video etc. etc. The subjects covered included the difference between Scenic and their competitors and then the various rivers that Scenic cruise. The mixture of dialogue and video worked very well and the presentation was very interesting. There is little doubt that Scenic are one of the premier river cruising companies but, as always, this comes at a price and it is up to individual cruisers to determine if the additional fare costs are good value. Scenic provides a butler service for all its cabin grades but we doubted if we would ever have much call to use his/her services. It was interesting that Scenic cruises are 'all inclusive' and they do not even take details of your credit card when you embark on the ships.

The last part of Lucy's presentation covered Scenic's first venture into sea cruising with the “Scenic Eclipse”, a unique discovery yacht. This new vessel will be 168 metres long and will have a gross tonnage of 17,085. Her 200/228 passengers in 114 all verandah suites will be cosseted by 192/176 crew members, so almost a 1:1 ratio. There will be 9 different dining venues on board with no surcharge for using them. All suites will have the use of a butler and all the usual Scenic advantages of unlimited complimentary beverages and Wi-Fi etc. will be available on this ship.

What will make this ship really different is that she will have two helicopters on board and Lucy told us that the charges for being flown in them will be minimal, intended to just cover insurance costs. Wow! Zodiac inflatable boats will be available to take guests to remote places and kayaks will also be available, as will scuba diving equipment.

But the icing on the cake, for me, is that the ship will have its own submarine, although this will involve additional charges.

Sample cruises on offer were 'Chilean Fjords & the Falkland Islands' on the 21st November 2018 Santiago to Buenos Aires for 16 days (from £7,825 per person), 'Ultimate Antarctica' on the 4th January 2019 from/to Buenos Aires for 16 days (from £11,745 per person), 'Ultimate Arctic' on the 25th June 2019 from/to Oslo for 12 days (from £8.995 per person) and 'The Footsteps of the Vikings' on the 28th July 2019 from Bergen to Reykjavik for 10 days (from £5,345 per person).

Cruise fares and costs are all relative but, having been retired for over 20 years, I am afraid that these cruises are outside of my modest budget, so I will not be able to sample this new type of cruising. But Lucy said that the suites are selling well and I am sure that there will be people prepared and able to enjoy this niche market. We can all dream though!

The presentation finished at 3:30 pm after which sandwiches and coffee/tea were made available to us all whilst the Scenic ladies answered any queries that people had. A 5% discount was available to anybody signing up to a Scenic river or sea cruise over the next three days.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Scenic future sales presentation - Maidstone 14/6/17

Postby khkate » 15 Jun 2017 11:57

Certainly sounds very interesting Geoff and like the idea of all-inclusive too. So good to see that cruise lines can still build new ship that look like ship and she doesn't look overpoweringly large either. The itineraries sound amazingm, but yes, out of our price range too. However, thank you for sharing - we shall join you in dreaming!
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Jun 2017 14:57

Sounds amazing, Geoff! Also too pricey for me, and definitely a no-no for destinations - I don't 'do' cold! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 15 Jun 2017 21:25

Thanks for that Geoff - it's interesting to see what we might do if we win the lottery. Having said that, I don't think we'd be interested in visiting the Falkland Islands even if the cruise was a bargain basement one!
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 15 Jun 2017 22:09

Gillzajoker wrote:Sounds amazing, Geoff! Also too pricey for me, and definitely a no-no for destinations - I don't 'do' cold! :D

We all know you do hot tongue but don't you do cold shoulder equally well! ;)
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 15 Jun 2017 22:11

When I win the euro millions Geoff, I'll charter the ship and take you all!
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 15 Jun 2017 22:24

tomvet wrote:When I win the euro millions Geoff, I'll charter the ship and take you all!

Thanks Tom, we will keep our fingers (and toes in my case) crossed. :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 16 Jun 2017 08:18

tomvet wrote:When I win the euro millions Geoff, I'll charter the ship and take you all!

Will hold you to that Tom! Not holding my breath.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Jun 2017 13:17

tomvet wrote:
Gillzajoker wrote:Sounds amazing, Geoff! Also too pricey for me, and definitely a no-no for destinations - I don't 'do' cold! :D

We all know you do hot tongue but don't you do cold shoulder equally well! ;)

Only for those who deserve it, dear - mainly YOU! :lol: :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Mungo » 16 Jun 2017 21:41

Looks interesting but out of my price bracket too! :o
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral