Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - River Cruise in Holland

River Cruise in Holland

River Cruise in Holland

Postby Toongirl » 08 Jun 2011 21:02

Hi all,
Over Easter we had a 4 day mini cruise from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, Antwerp and Utrecht then back to amsterdam. We sailed with the Croisi Europe line. This was our first river cruise and we enjoyed it very much. The cabins were quite spacious and all had large picture windows. (I think some of the larger boat have balcony cabins but our was fairly small) It was lovely sailing through the Dutch and Belgian towns. There was always something to look at and we felt that we had a real feel for the countries. We loved Antwerp and Rotterdam. We have been to Amsterdam a few times before but I now feel it's more of a young person's city: just my opinion of course.
One great advantage of the river boat was that the wine was included with lunch and dinner, which came as a very pleasant surprise to us! The staff, as on all the other cruises we've been on are wonderful. The 'above deck' staff were French, whereas the 'below deck' staff were Phillipino.
One disadvantage for me was the food: there was nothing wrong with it and most people thoroughly enjoyed it but there was no choice. The chef announced what that evening's meal would be. I don't really eat meat, other than chicken though I do eat fish. I know I should have said something the first night but I let it go and then I didn't want to make a fuss after that, as it was only for three evenings anyway. For anyone who isn't as fussy as I am, it wouldn't be a problem.
The weather was fantastic and that made the holiday really. The entire top deck was a sun deck and we sat out almost the whole time.
The one major downside was that the only bar/lounge wasn't very big and if the weather had been poor, the entire boat would have been squashed in there or in their cabins, which would have been a bit claustrophobic. I think that would put me off river cruising in northern Europe again to be honest. We were blessed with hot sunny weather but it could so easily have been wet and windy in April.
The river boats are fine for short mini breaks but they obviously lack the comfort and facilities of the ocean cruise ships. However, it was a very pleasant interlude.
Angela
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: River Cruise in Holland

Postby Mungo » 08 Jun 2011 21:14

Sounds good. :D A river cruise os on my "to do" list. ;)
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Stan Deasy » 09 Jun 2011 10:28

Hi Angela...good review. May said,and I agree,you made some interesting points that one may not normally consider. Helpful to us as a European river cruise is quite high on our "things still to do list".Thanks,Stan.
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby JollyJill » 09 Jun 2011 10:38

Thanks Angela I enjoyed reading your review. We haven't been on a river cruise yet but like Stan and May, it is on our 'to do' list. I've not seen much of Germany and thought a river cruise might be a good way to do it.
My only reservation with river cruises is that they appear in the brochures/online as quite expensive.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 02 Oct 2011 19:02

Thanks for that Angela.

If anyone's interested, here's a link: Croisi Europe (at cruisingholidays.co.uk)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gemma » 02 Oct 2011 20:32

Like Jill said, when I see River Cruises advertised they seem to be quite expensive - any idea why ?
Gemma
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Toongirl » 02 Oct 2011 21:07

I have to say we didn't find ours very expensive. It was only 4 days cruising through Holland and Belgium but it also included ferry fares (and food) from Newcastle and all food and drink pn the cruise was included. I can't quite remember the price but I don't think it was more than £500.00 per person. other than little pressies I bought for my mum and the grandchildren, we didn't have to spend another penny. (Of course, Husband had to have a Belgian beer in Belgium!) All in we had 5 nights, 6 days. I suppose you could get an inside cabin on a med cruise for that, not sure, but we didn't feel as if we paid over the odds. When we found out, on the boat that night, that wine was included, it was like a special bonus 'cos he wanted red and I wanted white!!
Angela
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 02 Oct 2011 22:14

Gemma wrote:Like Jill said, when I see River Cruises advertised they seem to be quite expensive - any idea why ?

I can only speak for Viking... Although the cost appears quite high compared with ocean cruises it really is all-inclusive. Our next one (10 days) includes flights, transfers, 9 tours, 2 hotels (Hiltons), and wine / beer / soft drinks.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Toongirl » 04 Oct 2011 22:19

Our cruise was through Croisi Europa and I couldn't fault them. My only criticism would be that there might not be enough indoor social space on a rainy or cold holiday. Everything else was fine.
Angela
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby LizC » 08 Oct 2011 22:17

Himself would like to do a river cruise but my perception is they are more expensive than the open sea. I'm sure it would be very interesting but I like the Med because in June you are more or less guaranteed good weather.
Liz
x
LizC
Ensign
Ensign

Next