Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - River Cruise in Holland

River Cruise in Holland

Re: River Cruise in Holland

Postby Dave » 09 Oct 2011 12:03

LizC wrote:Himself would like to do a river cruise but my perception is they are more expensive than the open sea. I'm sure it would be very interesting but I like the Med because in June you are more or less guaranteed good weather.
Liz
x

I suppose it's quite difficult to compare prices because, after all, what does any cruise cost?

As a very rough guide, Viking's river cruises work out at around £200pp per day. That's a lot more than some oceans cruises we've done, but less than others - especially bearing in mind that river cruises are usually all-inclusive and include excursions.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Shelledpea » 09 Oct 2011 13:50

I agree with Dave that you are looking at around £200 ~ £250per night per person for a river cruise ~ I'm sat here with Uniworld, Viking and Avalon brochures and am waiting for an AMA brochure to be delivered.

As Dave says they are pretty much All Inclusive Transfers to the airport, Flights, cruise, Drinks with meals (inc Wine, beer and softs) Unlimited free tea and coffee, Tours at each stop (Uniworld offer a choice!).

We've been pricing up for a cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam (~ I'd prefer the longer flight at the beginning) and the prices are pretty much on par at about £3779 for the 15 night cruise but Avalon come in cheaper at around £3000 but don't include such a large selection of drinks with lunch and breakfast but they do offer an All Inclusive drinks upgrade. This is something B & I are going to do when the children are older as family cabins don't exist and if you take children under 18 they have to share with an adult so no chance of us having one cabin and them another.

They really have peaked my interest and I feel some of the Uniworld ships with there Baroque style interiors would really suit the voyage, Avalons are much more contemporary whereas Vikings are very cool Scandavian modern in feel.

I also feel the river cruises would be the perfect way to see Russia
We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
Shelledpea
Captain
Captain

Postby Toongirl » 09 Oct 2011 20:33

Hi Shelley,
Our cruise was through Holland and Belgium and we certainly felt that we got a real feel for those countries by cruising through the rivers, as they meandered through the towns and villages. It was a very nice way to see the landscapes.
Angela
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 18 Oct 2011 05:29

Liz and I were talking about perhaps this is our next adventure instead of another cruise, perhaps in 2013 as we going to Barbados in Feb 2012 for five weeks. My Nieces 21st and Liz BD in the same month and we can rent from family. The perks of marrying an warm climate island woman.

I have one question for now and that is the mention of the Chef telling you what the main menu would be as in one choice. Liz prefers veg and some meat but not fish, so are their no alternatives?
RobBar

Postby Toongirl » 18 Oct 2011 22:26

Hi Rob,
On the Viking River cruise there was no choice at meal times. I didn't want to ask for an alternative but I'm sure they would have found something for me. It would be worth checking before making a booking though.
Angela
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 18 Oct 2011 23:54

Toongirl wrote:Hi Rob,
On the Viking River cruise there was no choice at meal times. I didn't want to ask for an alternative but I'm sure they would have found something for me. It would be worth checking before making a booking though.
Angela

Agree, thanks
RobBar

Postby Dave » 19 Oct 2011 08:04

This is from Viking's FAQs:

What type of food is served on board?

In Europe and Russia, all our meals are prepared on board by our European chefs, and consist of European-style food with regional specialities. In China, your meals are prepared by both European and Chinese chefs, and our Swiss hotel management oversees your dining experience.

Breakfast is typically a buffet featuring fresh fruit, juices, pastries, eggs, cheeses and cold cuts or cereal; you can also order from our menu of featured “hot selections” of the day. Lunch usually includes soup, a salad/sandwich bar, choice of entrée and dessert. Dinner is your choice of three or four courses, including a choice of entrées (typically including one regional speciality relevant to your destination). In China, we have Western-style lunches and dinners as well as family-style Chinese menus designed by celebrity chef Martin Yan.

Can you accommodate my dietary needs?

In most cases we can. Every meal has vegetarian options on the menu, and our chefs are able to prepare low-salt or gluten-free cuisine. If you require a liquid diet or strictly kosher foods, you may have your products shipped to your cruise ship and we will be more than happy to serve your special meals. Please be sure to make your requirements known when you make your reservation so we will be fully prepared when you begin your journey.

Guests requiring special diets such as vegetarian, low salt, diabetic or low cholesterol meals must alert Viking River Cruises one month prior to departure and inform the Maitre d’ when on board. The chefs will make reasonable efforts to accommodate these requests.

We've certainly been asked about our dietary requirements, and it's clear there's a choice of courses. Much the same as an ocean cruise I'd think. :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Toongirl » 19 Oct 2011 21:01

if booking one of these cruises, please check if food is an issue for you. We were on fairly small ship (I think it was called Monet) which sailed from Amsterdam to Antwerp, Rotterdam and Utrecht and each evening the chef came to the lounge and announced the dinner for that evening. There was only one choice. As I said earlier, I'm a bit wussy and didn't say anything (a man on my table ate all my meat courses) I'm sure if I had said something they would have provided an alternative but I was brought up to 'not make a fuss!' Thanks, Ma!
I promise that on our cruise there was only one starter, one main and one desert (also cheese and biscuits) After all, there were only 5 members of staff on the boat.
Angela
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 19 Oct 2011 21:14

We've booked two Viking Cruises and I'll try to remember to mention the food in my reviews. :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 19 Oct 2011 22:42

Dave wrote:We've booked two Viking Cruises and I'll try to remember to mention the food in my reviews. :D

Thanks Toongirl and Dave, certainly important to know before shelling out a wack of monies
RobBar

Previous