Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - New River cruise line for Europe

New River cruise line for Europe

Postby grannyM » 31 Aug 2013 07:40

From Telegraph Travel
The launch of Emerald Waterways challenges Viking River Cruises’ dominance of the four-star river-cruise sector.

Emerald Waterways
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 31 Aug 2013 08:20

Thanks Marie, very interesting. That indoor/outdoor pool looks very inviting, Chris would love that! The smallest cabins look a tad too small and none of them, with the exception of the Owner's Suite, look as though they have much wardrobe space - perhaps the reality may be better. I like the decor though! :D
Last edited by judgegeoff on 31 Aug 2013 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: New River cruise line for Europe

Postby tomvet » 31 Aug 2013 08:38

Competition - cheaper prices hopefully!
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 31 Aug 2013 08:51

Thanks Marie. I've had a good look and it all seems a big step up from Viking Neptune and Viking Clara Schumann (with her truly tiny cabins). I suspect the prices will be a big step up too!
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 31 Aug 2013 09:23

The Emerald panorama balcony suite looks interesting :lol: I was looking at the cabin plan thinking the wardrobe is on the balcony! but then read and saw the decking area for the balcony is inside the room and the window lowers.
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic 2019
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby bobbyoscar » 31 Aug 2013 09:56

I must admit on first glance I thought it was lovely - made me want to look at the deck plans etc. Our wish list is getting longer by the minute :lol:

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 31 Aug 2013 10:10

tomvet wrote:Competition - cheaper prices hopefully!

Wishful thinking on my part! Clearly they are segmenting the luxury end market with corresponding prices!
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Peka » 31 Aug 2013 10:14

tomvet wrote:

Wishful thinking on my part! Clearly they are segmenting the luxury end market with corresponding prices!

I know.

I see that it is £500 off per person till the end of September, rather that was the final price :oops:
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic 2019
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby tomvet » 31 Aug 2013 10:19

Peka wrote:
tomvet wrote:

I know.

I see that it is £500 off per person till the end of September, rather that was the final price :oops:

The only good thing about that is that it decreases the likelihood of I meeting a certain person on a river cruise. They will be here and I will not! :lol: :lol:
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 31 Aug 2013 11:28

Peka wrote:The Emerald panorama balcony suite looks interesting :lol: I was looking at the cabin plan thinking the wardrobe is on the balcony! but then read and saw the decking area for the balcony is inside the room and the window lowers.

I had exactly the same thought Peka, until I studied the plan more carefully. The designers appear to have attempted to give the sitting area in front of the 'floor-to-ceiling' panoramic window a 'balcony feel' by changing the carpets in that area and providing it with a table and chairs. This will be further enhanced by the lowering window. Quite a good idea for river cruising in Europe, where the weather may often be too cold for balcony sitting. I suspect the experienced balcony passengers might find it a little restrictive. It would however be a treat for us 'insiders'! :D
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next