Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - We are off to China and Japan next year (now next month)

We are off to China and Japan next year (now next month)

Re: We are off to China and Japan next year

Postby Camela » 28 Sep 2017 21:23

Enjoy the pair of you, sounds a great itinerary. I so want to do Japan (having only had 2 nights there in a previous life). But Geoff, aren't you the cruising duo who don't choose balconies? What a deal to go for!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 28 Sep 2017 23:04

Camela wrote:Enjoy the pair of you, sounds a great itinerary. I so want to do Japan (having only had 2 nights there in a previous life). But Geoff, aren't you the cruising duo who don't choose balconies? What a deal to go for!

We have occasionally cruised in ocean view and balcony cabins, but you are correct that most of our cruises have been in inside cabins. We tend to spend very little time in our cabins and so having a balcony is not as important to us as it may be to other people.

However, this cruise will be a special one for us and, as the cost between an inside cabin and a balcony cabin was much less than most cruises we have experienced, we decided to splash out and treat ourselves. :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

We are off to China and Japan next year

Postby grannyM » 29 Sep 2017 14:51

Sounds a great trip at a very good price Geoff. It is a very fitting way to celebrate your Golden Wedding year and Chris' special birthday. :thumbup: :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 10 Aug 2018 01:51

Well, time marches on and our cruise is just a month away now, so I thought I would tell you how things are progressing. Unfortunately Royal Caribbean have changed our itinerary slightly and we are no longer visiting Shimizu (for Mount Fuji), but instead will be spending two nights instead of one in Yokohama (for Tokyo). Royal Caribbean advise us that it was...."For operational reasons to increase our cruise experience". Hmmm, I am not so sure about that. We have booked ship's excursions for all of our ports with the exception of our first port, Kyoto, where we arrive at 2:00 pm and depart at 4:00 am the following morning, but where no excursions are strangely offered.

When we were sent details of our flights we found that although the ship disembarks in Shanghai early in the morning of the 23rd of September, our flight home (via Abu Dhabi) was not scheduled until 12:30 am the following morning. We have booked a ship's tour of Shanghai for that morning, with Airport drop-off, but that will leave us at the Airport at 12:00 noon - over 12 hours before our flight!

I spent some time doing some research on how to spend those 12 hours and discovered that the Maglev train (derived from magnetic levitation) runs from a station within Shanghai's Pudong Airport to a station on the outskirts of Shanghai city centre, 30 km (18.6 miles) away. It is the fastest commercial train in the world, reaches a speed of 430 km/h (267 mph) and takes under 8 minutes to complete the journey. It runs every 15 minutes and costs around £10 for a return journey. So we plan to leave our luggage in the Airport's Left Luggage facility and take the Maglev train to Shanghai for a few hours. But we will make sure that we leave Shanghai in time to catch a taxi back to the Airport should the train not be running for any reason.

We are very much looking forward to experiencing such a futuristic form of transport, but it does perhaps beggar the question of why we are still sending millions of pounds in foreign aid to a Country than can afford such a luxury, when it seems we cannot afford to maintain our roads that are now full of potholes!!!
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 10 Aug 2018 10:31

Shame about Mt. Fuji - poor excuse!

In answer to your last question, Geoff, it's because by giving 'our' money in aid
the 'fat cats' get awarded contracts to make them even more obscenely rich :evil:

If you get chance, see the Yu Gardens in Shanghai - a wonderful place :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby judgegeoff » 10 Aug 2018 17:56

Gillzajoker wrote:Shame about Mt. Fuji - poor excuse!

In answer to your last question, Geoff, it's because by giving 'our' money in aid
the 'fat cats' get awarded contracts to make them even more obscenely rich :evil:

If you get chance, see the Yu Gardens in Shanghai - a wonderful place :D

Many thanks for your advice Gill. :clap: The Yu Gardens are on our itinerary for our tour of Shanghai on our sightseeing excursion from the ship to the Airport, although I don't think that we will be spending a lot of time there as the whole excursion only takes 4 hours. However, if we think that it is worth a return visit (and I suspect that we will), we can go back there when we return to Shanghai later in the day on the Maglev train and spend a few hours there.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 10 Aug 2018 21:05

Will someone plz clarify for me what operational reasons are? It is such a fuzz!
I found yuyuan gdns a tad disappointing but I loved walking the bund.

Shanghai has only a few but v discreet tourist sights - you will see them all in 4 hours though not in huge detail.

The train sounds fab.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tobysgranny » 10 Aug 2018 21:55

I hope you enjoy your cruise on The Quantum Geoff. We had a wonderful cruise on her when she was repositioning to Shanghai. It is one ship I would love to go on again. I hope you and Chris have a wonderful time and can’t wait to see your pictures and hear all about your fantastic trip.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Aug 2018 11:39

I have received our flight details and hotel and transfer vouchers from Travel Agents Cruise.co.uk and am not a happy bunny! Shortly after we had first made the booking we realised that the hotel allocated to us in Beijing was not suitable for us. Chris has had corneal transplants in both eyes and is still taking anti-rejection drops in her eyes every day. Many of the online reviews of the hotel in Beijing stated that there was a lot of smoking in the hotel, in the rooms as well as the public areas. In view of this we chose a separate hotel that had good reviews and paid a considerable additional sum and this was shown on a revised invoice dated the 3rd of October 2017.

The vouchers for the Beijing hotel, transfers and a day tour that we have now received show the original hotel and it transpires that no booking was made at the alternative hotel, although the additional payment was taken. Fortunately there was still a room available at the second hotel and we have been assured that it has been reserved for us. Cruise.co.uk are going to send us a new set of hotel, transfer and excursion vouchers in the next few days, these will be perused very closely and I will let you know if they are correct.

When we applied for our Chinese Visas we had to advise them of the name, address and telephone number of the hotels that we would be staying in and so, had there not been any room available in our nominated hotel, no doubt we would have been involved in a lot more tedious paperwork.

The moral of the story is simple - check everything that the Travel Agent sends you and don't assume that it is correct.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Aug 2018 08:08

So annnoying when so called 'experts' don't do their job properly. Hope all is well with next
paperwork! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext