Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cabin Review: Marella Discovery 2 Stern Junior Suite 8086

Cabin Review: Marella Discovery 2 Stern Junior Suite 8086

Postby Dave » 03 Jan 2018 18:10

Before I go any further I must point out that this cabin is almost identical to the one I reviewed a year ago here...

Cabin Review: Tui Discovery Junior Suite 8082

Since that review, TUI introduced a sister ship to Discovery which they named Discovery 2 and then they renamed the cruise line from TUI to Marella. So Marella Discovery 2 is almost identical to TUI Discovery!

We loved Discovery so much that we not only booked a cruise on Discovery 2 while still on board, but we chose the identical cabin grade. There are 7 Junior Balcony Suites at the stern on deck 8 and we picked the centre one - 8086 - because the curve of the deck means that it has a slightly deeper balcony than those on either side of it! :D

With the cabin being so similar to last year's, I don't need to add much. I'll still post a review though for completeness - and because I hope it will be found by people searching for reviews of Marella Discovery 2 cabins. And anyway, I did manage to find three differences...

The first difference is the table on the balcony. This time we had a full-height table on which we were able to have breakfast (on one day at least!):

The second difference is the wall lights. This time, each wall light had a built-in USB socket - a minor touch but one that proved very welcome. We didn't need to use any of the adaptors we'd taken at all; our white USB leads are clearly visible in the photos below:

My apologies for the slightly messy state of the cabin! :oops:

The final change we noticed was that the plastic shower curtain had become a glass panel:

Oh, and one more thing... In my other review I mentioned the unlimited supply of pods for the very nice coffee machine. This time we were limited to two pods per day. It seems that TUI have decided to save a few pennies on coffee, but I suspect that the steward would have supplied us with more pods if we'd asked.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous review is that it's a long walk from the stern cabins to the nearest main stairway and lifts - these are more or less centrally placed along the length of the ship, and there's another main stairway nearer the front. However, there's an easily-missed stairway in the corridor on the port side near to the stern which only leads up to the 'beauty / spa' area, but it's a useful short cut up to deck 9.

If we cruise on either Marella Discovery ship in future we'll certainly go for one of the seven stern balcony suites again. :thumbup:
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 04 Jan 2018 17:45

As I said last time, I do like the look of these Marella Discovery JS cabins. Although being ex RCI ships I should say that I am familiar with them and consider them to be the best Balcony and JS suite cabins we've had for space and storage. :thumbup:

Although both the Discovery ships were previously RCI Vision class the junior suite layout is very similar to the one we had on, Voyager class, Adventure of the Seas. My lasting memory of that cabin was the large walk-in wardrobe which was absolutely excellent. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 05 Jan 2018 13:08

Many thanks for posting your cabin review Dave, it is always good to get information about the accommodation available in different ships. :thumbup:

The photos are excellent and revived memories of our cruises on the 'Vision' class ships.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 05 Jan 2018 23:36

Thanks Marie and Geoff.

Mentions of Vision Class are interesting and I remembered Geoff referring to it while we were on board Discovery 2. It hadn't really occurred to me before, but those ships really are designed to give sea views from most parts of the ship. Our particular favourite area is the buffet restaurant which is where many ships have 'observatory' lounges or bars. On Discovery 1 and 2 we've always sat by the windows which provide views almost vertically down to the sea below.

Having now cruised on ocean-going ships varying in size from the pre-stretched Braemar (~20,000grt) to Costa Diadema (~133,000grt) I've come to believe that midway in between those two (~70,000grt) is the perfect size. :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 06 Jan 2018 00:39

Dave wrote:Thanks Marie and Geoff.

Mentions of Vision Class are interesting and I remembered Geoff referring to it while we were on board Discovery 2. It hadn't really occurred to me before, but those ships really are designed to give sea views from most parts of the ship. Our particular favourite area is the buffet restaurant which is where many ships have 'observatory' lounges or bars. On Discovery 1 and 2 we've always sat by the windows which provide views almost vertically down to the sea below.

Having now cruised on ocean-going ships varying in size from the pre-stretched Braemar (~20,000grt) to Costa Diadema (~133,000grt) I've come to believe that midway in between those two (~70,000grt) is the perfect size. :D

I think that the importance of a ship's size depends on the type of cruise that you are doing. My particular favourites are the very small ships going around the little ports of Turkey and Greece, where the bigger ships cannot berth. On the other hand, if going on a transatlantic cruise or similar with a lot of sea days, the bigger ships provide more scope for entertainment and exercise.

We have been berthed close to several Mein Schiff cruise ships, but were not very impressed with the black hulls with large white writing on them. I think that the new ex. Mein Schiff ship will look much better when she is given a Marella paint job.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 07 Jan 2018 14:01

Lovely cabin, smart, spacious and seems to be loads of storage. Having just returned from Queen Elizabeth I am no fan of shower curtains :x Thank you for sharing Dave

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Kruzer » 15 Apr 2018 14:40

Thanks for the pics Dave, they are probably the the most detailed view of the type cabin I've booked on Discovery. I booked last November and even then there were no stern cabins available! Perhaps it was just that it was too early and those cabins had not been released I don't know.
I opted for a junior balcony suite instead, on deck 8(for 4 pax - 8524) although there are only 2 of us. I can't find any pics of that cabin only the stern ones like yours. We've been on Thomson Cruises before but always either Med or Caribbean (usually Ocean Village or Destiny (ah! the good old days). So I'm also glad to hear what you think of Destiny.
This time we're going East on an Asia cruise next March and looking forward to it I hope we enjoy it as much as you seem to have done.
I've started a post on TUI Asia so perhaps we will get some info there.
Happy Cruising :wave:
Kruzer

Postby Dave » 15 Apr 2018 15:03

Kruzer wrote:Thanks for the pics Dave, they are probably the the most detailed view of the type cabin I've booked on Discovery. I booked last November and even then there were no stern cabins available! Perhaps it was just that it was too early and those cabins had not been released I don't know.
I opted for a junior balcony suite instead, on deck 8(for 4 pax - 8524) although there are only 2 of us. I can't find any pics of that cabin only the stern ones like yours. We've been on Thomson Cruises before but always either Med or Caribbean (usually Ocean Village or Destiny (ah! the good old days). So I'm also glad to hear what you think of Destiny.
This time we're going East on an Asia cruise next March and looking forward to it I hope we enjoy it as much as you seem to have done.
I've started a post on TUI Asia so perhaps we will get some info there.
Happy Cruising :wave:

Hi Kruzer

Re. the 2 and 4 berth junior balcony suites on Discovery (1 and 2). We had the 2-berth 8086 last Christmas and the 4-berth 8082 the Christmas before. I believe the only difference is that the sofa in the 4-berth cabin converts to a bed and (presumably) the sofa in the 2-berth cabin doesen't. So in practice, for two people there's no noticeable difference.

We know that the sofa in 8082 converts to a bed because when we arrived at the cabin it was made up. Somehow, the cabin had been double-booked and was made up for another couple too! Fortunately, we'd arrived first and we established our right to the cabin at reception before the other couple arrived. :D

We've done nearly 30 cruises with a variety of cruise lines and agree that TUI/Marella is our favourite cruise line and Discovery 1 and 2 are our favourite ships. We've cut down on cruising recently in favour of land-based holidays, but we're continuing to do Christmas Caribbean cruises and next time we're trying TUI's latest acquisition, Marella Explorer.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom