Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Marella Explorer Large Balcony Cabin 10150

Marella Explorer Large Balcony Cabin 10150

Postby Dave » 01 Jan 2019 13:29

I took a couple of photos with my phone of the cabin when we arrived and then forgot to take any more for a review. Oh well, they'll have to do... :(

Cabin 10150 is described as a 'Balcony Cabin (Large Balcony)'. Explorer was originally Celebrity Galaxy and later became Mein Schiff 1, being refitted and extended in the process. Outside cabins were given balconies and balcony cabins had their balconies extended to about double the original size - hence 'Large Balcony'. We chose one of these because for us the balcony is the single most important feature of any cabin.

Inside, the cabin is pretty much as you'd expect in terms of size and facilities.

The bathroom (no bath!) reminded me of the one on Celebrity Eclipse; it's smart but compact and has a roomy shower compartment with a proper glass door and a powerful shower.

The spacious wardrobes are opposite the bathroom and there's a modern safe which, unlike in the days of the Thomson name, is free to use!

There's a decent-sized fridge and tea / coffee -making facility which can be seen in my photo. Unlike in our junior suite on Discovery 2 which had loads of power and USB sockets, charging USB equipment was a real pain. There was only one free power socket (by the dressing table) and we had to keep unplugging the kettle to get a second socket. Not good!

The bed was large and extremely comfortable and, unlike on Eclipse, the cabin was wide enough not to require the corners of the bed to be chopped off in order to be able to move around. ;) Having said that, there wasn't nearly as much floor space as we like to have but it was easy to push shoes, bags and rucksacks under the bed to get them out of the way.

The décor was understated to say the least. Everything was very smart and in excellent condition but the colour scheme was 'shades of brown' and I can't recall a single picture on the walls.

At the balcony end of the cabin is a comfy 'half-sofa' seat which can unfolded into a single bed. While it's not big enough for two, it was okay for one (me!) plus assorted bits and pieces that weren't tidied away! Opposite the seat is the dressing table.

The TV is wall-mounted opposite the bed and was really excellent. There was a fair range of TV channels, but it was its interactive mode that was extremely impressive. Checking the onboard account, browsing excursions, booking restaurants and so on was all very user-friendly. We bought a wi-fi package at a very reasonable rate of £49 'always on' for a week, which I only ever used in the cabin (mostly to post to my forum blog) and although it was often slow (as can be the case in a cabin) I was always able to upload text and photos - with a bit of patience.

And finally, the balcony...

The balcony is as wide as would be expected but is surprisingly deep - actually, doubly so. Unfortunately, despite there being nothing at all directly above the balcony, it's completely covered - meaning that sunbathing wasn't often possible. The large size gives plenty of room for a lounger, two chairs and a small table... and a really good hammock. My wife loved it!

(Photo taken while opposite Beehive of the Seas. ;) )

To summarise: Cabin 10150 was compact but smart. The shower and the interactive TV system were excellent, but there were no USB sockets and only one free power socket. The best feature was the large balcony, which was worth paying a little extra for. :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 01 Jan 2019 16:07

Interesting. Never had a balcony. We will be having one on Sagas new ship.
Can’t wait to show you all .
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 02 Jan 2019 10:14

Cabin looks good, and I can see you being impressed with the balcony (and hammock). But balconies still have no appeal for me - against my better judgement,on this last trip my friend persuaded me to go for one. I stepped onto it once, for less than a minute, so never again! :shock:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 02 Jan 2019 15:59

Gillzajoker wrote:Cabin looks good, and I can see you being impressed with the balcony (and hammock). But balconies still have no appeal for me - against my better judgement,on this last trip my friend persuaded me to go for one. I stepped onto it once, for less than a minute, so never again! :shock:

Each to their own of course... we're the same with Main Dining Restaurants. Actually, even more so because we haven't set foot in one for years! ;) (If only there was a discount for not needing to be served by a waiter... :think: )

I can just about remember our early days in inside cabins - waking up and switching on the TV to view the webcam to see if we were arriving in port. Now of course, we step out onto the balcony with our coffees and enjoy the arrival at leisure and in real life! :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Marella Explorer Large Balcony Cabin 10150

Postby Camela » 03 Jan 2019 15:12

It's your cruise so do it your way. Five years ago we went to Vietnam, then decided to join friends on their cruise around northern Europe. As it was only 2 months later we saved by booking a window only to have the hottest 10 days in early May for several years. Now only balconies and we do like to have the fresh air too.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby tobysgranny » 04 Jan 2019 09:48

Only ever had a balcony since we started cruising in 2005. I just love being out there especially first thing in the morning and enjoying drinking my first cup of coffee (weather permitting). I also love being out there when coming into ports especially early morning.

We used our balcony on QV quite a lot especially in the Caribbean. We have an aft balcony cabin on Explorer Of The Seas in April so really looking forward to that and I’m sure the hike getting there from the lifts will keep me fit. Certainly the view going through the Suez Canal will be different,

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland