Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Viking Neptune cabin 311 (Cat A) review

Viking Neptune cabin 311 (Cat A) review

Viking Neptune cabin 311 (Cat A) review

Postby Dave » 30 May 2013 10:10

I intended to post a review of our cabin on Viking Neptune as soon as I'd written the review of the cruise, but I think I put it off because I wasn't sure about the quality of my photos. Still, better late than never, and I'll try harder to take decent photos in future!

From the deck plan you can see that Viking Neptune has five cabin grades. That's true, but there are only two different sizes - normal (deluxe) and small (standard). All the cabins except the tiny ones on the lower deck are much the same, and the grade (and hence the price) depends on the location. With that in mind we'd originally booked a Deluxe C grade cabin, but were upgraded to Cabin 311 - on the upper deck in a great location - as a 'thank you' for a review I'd written about a previous cruise. :D

(Click images to zoom.)

My first impression on entering the cabin was that it was very smart. Not big, but bright and modern (although my photo makes it look dark :( ). And I immediately loved the huge opening window. The window ledge was wide enough to sit on and although the weather was cold the air-conditioning vent on the ledge kept me warm!

The bed was extremely comfortable, although strangely the duvet was a bit short so it was important to set the cabin temperature just right.

The bathroom (no bath though) was very nicely equipped with modern fittings and quality toiletries and towels. In size, it was like most cruise ship bathrooms and certainly bigger than the one we had on Ventura!

Unlike many other cruise lines, Viking don't charge for bottled water. I've never understood why, having paid £thousands for a cruise, lines such as Thomson charge a silly amount for something that costs them so little.

You can also make out two radio receivers in the middle of the photo. These are taken on excursions so you can always hear the guide, and they work really well.

Although it was rather small, the TV offered a much wider variety of channels than we've seen before as well as films shown at set times. We didn't use it though and I wonder how many people do - there are more interesting things to do on a cruise than watch the telly.

As we've always found in every cabin we've had, there was plenty of storage space. Our cases fitted under the bed easily and there was room to spare in the generous wardrobe and drawers. There was a safe in the wardrobe and unlike certain other cruise lines (sorry again Thomson) it was free to use.

In conclusion, I felt this was a very nice cabin. However, I'm not sure I'd want to pay extra simply to be higher and in the centre of a ship that doesn't sway anyway, and where nothing is more than a few seconds' walk away, so my advice would be to go for a lower grade. If I try to compare this cabin with ones we've had on ocean-going ships I'd have to say it's like a typical balcony cabin - without the balcony (although the window is some compensation).
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Viking Neptune cabin 311 (Cat A) review

Postby JollyJill » 30 May 2013 12:53

I was interested to see the photos of your Viking cruise Cabin Dave. In 5 weeks time, we will be off to Russia for our first Viking experience. Initially, we booked a FX cabin which was standard but up graded to a Verandah restaurant. I couldn't quite understand why, although they said that it was something to do with the refurbishment of their ships that are doing the Russian cruise.
We are not complaining as the cabin looks good. It's 230 sq ft which with a verandah will be fine. It's a shame that like your cabin, ours doesn't have a bath. Perhaps Viking ships don't have baths. :?:
Anyway, we are both very much excited about our return to Russia and our first river cruise together. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 30 May 2013 14:32

what sort of sockets did you have - on Luftner they weren't UK compatible and I had to borrow an adapter from reception to recharge my camera battery
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 30 May 2013 16:50

Meg50 wrote:what sort of sockets did you have - on Luftner they weren't UK compatible and I had to borrow an adapter from reception to recharge my camera battery

They were French, but we always take adaptors anyway. I remember some people borrowing adaptors at reception.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Barry » 31 May 2013 07:50

Think that now puts a river cruise on our to do list, once we've got the ocean cruises done! Cheers.
Barry
Commodore
Commodore