Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - P&O Britannia Balcony cabin - Deck 15 A234

P&O Britannia Balcony cabin - Deck 15 A234

Postby grannyM » 13 Oct 2015 18:34

We immediately liked the colour combination and minimalist design of the corridor walls and carpet.
An illuminated letter box with door number
Welcome aboard on the large flat screen TV opposite the bed. A UK 3 pin plug on the TV unit and also one below at floor level.
Not a huge cabin but at least enough room for two people to pass at the foot of the bed.
Again, nice colour and design in cabin. Light grey carpet, fittings and soft furnishing with Jade trim in curtains & counterpane
Fridge with shelf for hairdryer inside door. Only one long shallow drawer on unit which held the kettle and tea things as well as phone. No bedside cabinet on this side of the bed.
Two 3 pin UK sockets above (the one beside the kettle 'Always on' even when key card was removed at door) and one special 2 pin exclusively for hairdryer.
One 3 pin UK socket below.
It was very irritating that there were no bedside lights to enable one person to read and not disturb the other. There were four spotlights above the bed but it was really too bright for nightime reading.
I must also mention here that there were two decent drawers at the other side of the bed and that was 'it' for drawer space. No comparison with the amount of storage space we had on Epic in July. The open wardrobe opposite the shower room was typical of other ships with loads of coat hangers and also there was the familiar long door with shelves and the safe inside. Unfortunately I was sure I had taken photographs of both these areas but they are no where to be found on my camera.
The usual 'cosy' shower room but the basin area was on a slant giving a little more room near the WC. You will perhaps notice the the shower cabinet is also a good size with a glass panel and a separate glass door. Unfortunately the water pressure from the actual shower was abysmal.

What a stupid place to have the handtowels. We moved them every day to where the bath mat was hanging otherwise my dressing gown would never have been dry.
Nice toiletries from White company. Also soap.shampoo dispenser in shower cabinet.
Probably the smallest balcony we have ever had.

For those who like to sunbathe beware the overhang on Deck 15. Although at any given time it would probably only your face that was in direct sunlight anyway.
The fabulous flat screen TV flattered to deceive. You could view the ship's webcam, get information about the current weather and for the following ports. You could see all sorts of videos about the actual ship, the port excursions, the speciality restaurants, the Celebrity chefs thoughts on the food and drink, the type of entertainment we could expect onboard. However you could NOT access your ship account or actually book your excursions or specialty restaurants as you can now do on many newer ships. Why P&O have gone with a system that does not do any of this is a puzzle. We also did not think the journey details were very good either. It was a system that we had not seen before and found it lacking compared to the usual system we have seen on most cruises. There was no information about the mileage from last port to next port, or sea and weather conditions which could affect the ship.

We had a lovely Cabin Steward, Viktor from Goa who kept the cabin and shower room absolutely spotless. Ice bucket full in fridge every day. He was a nice person and we could not fault him. All in all a very nice cabin in spite of these criticisms of ours.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: P&O Britannia Balcony cabin - Deck 15 A234

Postby Tiggy » 13 Oct 2015 19:29

Hi Marie
The cabin looks lovely, nice and modern with clean lines, a bit like IKEA. :lol:
I see what you mean about the balcony, a bit on the small side.
Thanks for the photographs.
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 13 Oct 2015 19:47

Thanks for the cabin review and pics Marie.

It looks spacious although it is a shame about the little niggles- the lack of reading lights would have annoyed me too.

As for the TV and P & O's lack of information re the journey- it is something that we don't like either.

Did you know in advance what times you were arriving and leaving each port?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 13 Oct 2015 20:03

Thank you Marie. I could settle very well in this cabin and put up with most of the minor niggles although the weak shower would have been annoying. Perhaps with Britannia being such a new ship a lot things still require ‘tweaking’.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 13 Oct 2015 20:32

Great review Marie, Thankyou for sharing.

I don't mind a small balcony, as long as I have one :D
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 14 Oct 2015 06:37

Thanks for the review Marie. I like the décor. :thumbup:

I would have found the lack of proper reading lights disappointing because my e-reader isn't backlit. Probably the best bedside lights we've had were on Celebration - a lamp with an additional small spotlight on a flexible stalk:

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 14 Oct 2015 06:49

Thank you for posting such a great review Marie, enhanced by some terrific photos, the cabin looked very smart. Chris and I always read in bed every night before dropping off to sleep and we too would have found the lack of reading lights annoying.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sevenseascoaster » 14 Oct 2015 07:20

Thanks for that Marie. Good to see what you were describing when with us. Love the décor neutrals my favourite. Silly placement of the towels but that tap over the basin looks shorter than the silly long one (that gets in the way!) on the Eclipse and not good planning for a new ship to have poor bedside lights! All the new ships seem to have cut down on balcony space :roll: Apart from those niggles looks good :)

Second time I have put this up kept disappearing :D .
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Hannah » 14 Oct 2015 11:49

Thanks for taking the time to review your cabin. Re the lights that is where a kindle comes into its own - one can read without lights on whilst OH sleeps - bliss. Hope you enjoyed Britannia and destinations.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 14 Oct 2015 12:01

Hannah wrote:Thanks for taking the time to review your cabin. Re the lights that is where a kindle comes into its own - one can read without lights on whilst OH sleeps - bliss. Hope you enjoyed Britannia and destinations.

Well yes and no. My Kindle is an older version without a lit screen, whereas my wife has a Paperwhite Kindle which she can read in the dark. So it depends on the model you have.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next