Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - P & O Azura Balcony Cabin, Deck 10 W/Acces Grade HB

P & O Azura Balcony Cabin, Deck 10 W/Acces Grade HB

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Aug 2016 16:48

Everything a wheelchair accessible cabin should be (well, almost)

P & O Azura
C304
This cabin is situated on Deck 10, port side and 21 cabins from the very front of the ship just opposite the lifts which made it very convenient when needing to visit other areas of the ship. Disembarking at ports for w/chair users was also via the front lifts, usually down to Deck 4 where there was a ramp better suited for those having to use a wheelchair. A notice was always displayed informing us which lifts to use just in case you didn’t hear the announcement over the tannoy. The only downside was that the MDRs are situated towards the back of the ship, so a little ‘trek’ to get to them. Although very close to the lifts, the only time we heard noise outside the cabin was on the last night when people were returning to their own cabins. Apart from that, it was quiet.

On Azura there are two types of balcony cabins:
• Superior Deluxe Balcony with Bath/Shower
• Balcony with Shower

C304 is in the second category, with shower. Within this level there are six grades of cabin, this is the second highest HB

Sue had recommended us to try for a cabin on C deck as they tend to be larger than usual. Even so, we were somewhat taken aback by the size when we entered.

The door on the left is to the wet room. The cabin measures 21' 6" from the door to the balcony and the width is 16'. Note the space at the bottom of the bed, plenty of room there to turn around in a wheelchair.

Wardrobes which were plenty big enough and the safe is in the end unit which has shelves. The smaller units contain a fridge and a cupboard with shelves where you will find the hairdryer.

The view from the balcony door

The space available at the sides of the bed to enable a wheelchair to be placed for transfer into the bed.

...... and I thought I was out of the picture :oops:
Last edited by bobbyoscar on 17 Aug 2016 08:16, edited 4 times in total.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Aug 2016 16:48

The Wet Room

The ramp into the wet room was much smaller than the photo shows and little effort was required to wheel into it. Andy was able to wheel straight into it without having to complete a nine point turn ;)

Again, no having to wheel back and forwards, the w/chair could easily be positioned next to the toilet for transfer or turned towards the sink, easy to do.

The bench pulls down from the wall and plenty of grab rails, just in case...... There was also an emergency pull in this room.
Last edited by bobbyoscar on 10 Aug 2016 16:27, edited 4 times in total.
Cruises booked:
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Aug 2016 16:49

The Balcony

.... and so to the balcony. We really couldn't believe the size of this :D

There was a very gentle ramp to allow Andy to wheel onto the balcony. Thanks to Sue's, Pete, for showing me how to retrieve the centre section of the ramp to allow the balcony door to shut. Until then, I had been using my fingers to pull the ramp back whilst thinking 'I must be doing this wrong!' :oops: '

A better view of the ramp.

...... and finally, taken from the back of the balcony.

We would have no hesitation in booking this cabin again, it made life for us so much easier. I also understand the same is to be found on Ventura.
Last edited by bobbyoscar on 17 Aug 2016 08:21, edited 2 times in total.
Cruises booked:
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 06 Aug 2016 17:50

That looks amazing, Glynis. It must have added greatly to your comfort and convenience to have ample space to 'live' in.

Looking forward to hearing more about the cruise.

By the way, you say the cabin had almost everything you needed - what was missing ? ;)
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 06 Aug 2016 17:59

Brilliant wheelchair accessible cabin. What a difference it must have made to Andy to have all that space to manoeuvre. The balcony is awesome. :thumbup: :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Aug 2016 17:59

octocruiser wrote:By the way, you say the cabin had almost everything you needed - what was missing ? ;)

As Andy has no balance, at home we have a metal frame which goes under the mattress and then has a side on each. It's only about 10 inches in width at the pillow end (sorry, I can't remember the name of it). It means he is able to use it to pull himself to sit up. Without it, he cannot sit up unaided and he tends to fall over. Plus, it also stops him from rolling off the bed. There is no way I would expect a cruise line or a hotel to provide something like that.
Cruises booked:
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Aug 2016 18:17

Now, you are not going to believe this but I alluded to a few 'not very pleasant' people we had met in one of my earlier posts.

One comment was regarding our cabin. I was asked by someone how we were finding getting around on the ship? This ship is very wheelchair friendly. I was then asked if we had a W/A cabin? When I replied yes. I was told that she couldn't see why 'your husband needs one as there's not much wrong with him.'

To say I put her right is putting it mildly!

Strange that she avoided me for the rest of the cruise ;)

Fortunately almost everyone else we met went out of their way to be of help like opening doors so that I was not trying to keep the door open whilst trying to manoeuvre the w/chair out onto the open decks. There are a couple of automatic doors for w/chairs but these are in the middle of the ship and we were often not too close to them.
Cruises booked:
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Mungo » 06 Aug 2016 18:33

Glynis, it really was a large cabin wasn't it? Glad you managed to get one on C deck with the extra large balcony. Pleased that Pete was able to help show you how the ramp worked! :mrgreen:
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Aug 2016 18:38

Mungo wrote:Glynis, it really was a large cabin wasn't it? Glad you managed to get one on C deck with the extra large balcony. Pleased that Pete was able to help show you how the ramp worked! :mrgreen:

Pete to the rescue :clap: :clap: :clap: :D
Cruises booked:
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Trace » 06 Aug 2016 18:55

What an amazing cabin Glynis, and it's so great that it met your requirements. :)

Fabulous photo, I can't wait to read more.......
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next