Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - P&O "AURORA" INSIDE CABIN No. A214

P&O "AURORA" INSIDE CABIN No. A214

Postby judgegeoff » 29 Aug 2017 14:10

P&O “AURORA”

NORWEGIAN FJORDS CRUISE No. R714 – 20/8/17 to 27/8/17

REVIEW OF INSIDE CABIN No. 214

Chris and I had booked the cruise on a 'Guaranteed Saver' basis through our friends at 'Cruise Select'. This is where we were guaranteed at least a certain grade of cabin, but the actual allocation would be carried out by the Cruise Line shortly before the sail away. As we tend to spend very little time in our cabins, we were quite happy with this arrangement. About two weeks before sailing we found that we had been allocated to Cabin No. A214, an inside cabin amidships on the port side of deck 11 (the ship has 13 decks). We were very happy with the choice as we are usually allocated cabins on lower decks.

Our corridor looking forward.

Our corridor looking aft.

As my back problem makes me a very restless sleeper, we decided to ask for the beds to be made up as twin beds and they had been made up as requested. One bed was against one of the cabin's walls, with a narrow bedside table between it and the other bed and then there was a wide bedside table between the second bed and the wall of the en-suite shower room. Each bedside table had two deep drawers. Both beds had individually controlled reading lights and there were switches positioned between the beds to control the other cabin lights. There was a telephone on the narrow bedside table between the two beds.

In one corner of the cabin there was a sofa/day bed and a fixed half round table which had a kettle and tea and coffee making items and two wrapped biscuits which were replaced twice a day if necessary. A small round table had a small stainless steel tray containing a selection of boiled fruit sweets.

We had a very useful writing desk with a large mirror above it. Also above the desk was a small fridge mini bar, with an electronic safe above that and a flat screen TV above the safe. Beneath the desk were 4 deep drawers, so plenty of drawers in the cabin. We also had a comfortable chair that slid under the desk to maximise room in the cabin. There was a single 240V UK power socket just above the desk.

We had a triple wardrobe unit which provided plenty of hanging space. The single unit nearest the door was just hanging space although the bar was so high that Chris could not reach it easily – so I was allocated that one! The double unit had two shelves at a high level (one was used to store our lifejackets) with a hanging bar below it. There were no shelves in the units which meant casual shirts had to be kept in the drawers.

A tall mirror was attached to the en-suite shower room wall within the cabin, to check that we were dressed correctly.

The en-suite shower room was excellent. There was the usual vacuum w.c., a built in washbasin with a big mirror above it and a larger than usual shower cubicle. Storage was provided behind two mirror doors of cabinets on each side of the washbasin unit., very useful as we each had our own cabinet. My cabinet had a 240v/110v electric razor power socket unit within it.

The shower was a delight compared with most of the ship's cabins that we have experienced. Although the cubicle had a plastic curtain the cubicle was so large that the curtain did not draw in on me when showering. The shower controls and head were made by the German quality company 'Grohe' and were very efficient and well controlled. A little valve unit attached to the control unit's outlet pipe drained water from the shower head and hose when the shower was switched off, so that the head did not drip. Altogether, a delight to use.

There was a shower gel dispenser in the shower cubicle and the supplied toiletries included a bar of soap (although I always take my own), shampoo, conditioner and hand and body lotion. The towels were plentiful and were always very clean and fresh smelling. They were changed twice daily whether we hung them up or not. Two pool towels were provided in the cabin and were replaced as necessary when used.

Our cabin steward, William (from India) was very efficient and we were very satisfied with the service he provided.

Conclusions

Overall we were extremely happy with the cabin that we had been allocated. However, there was only one power socket in the cabin which is not enough in this modern world. It seems that most of the cabins have just a single power socket. We had 2 cameras, a camcorder, a Kindle and an Ipad and mobile phones as well as a fitness tracker – so a single power socket was inadequate (especially as they request that passengers do not charge equipment when not in the cabin or whilst sleeping!). On request we were given a 4 way extension lead, but I don't know how many the ship would have had available. It is a pity that additional sockets could not have been added during the ship's refit. I did wonder what overseas passengers with 110v only equipment would get.

I found the mattress of my bed to be very hard and it really did not suit my back condition (although, to be fair, Chris was able to sleep well despite the hardness). When I asked if there were any mattress toppers were available, I was told that none were available as the whole of the ship's supplies had been pre-ordered by guests. I suspected that regular “Aurora” cruisers know that the matresses are very hard and so pre-order toppers. A mattress topper was found for me after 3 really bad night's sleep but, although it improved the mattress, I still had restless nights. I normally sleep well at sea. But not on this ship.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 29 Aug 2017 15:52

Interesting reading, you had everything you needed.Sounds a nice cabin. I always ask for mattress topper before we pay balance.
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 29 Aug 2017 16:34

Thanks for the review Geoff of what looks like a very nice cabin. I agree with you about one power socket being totally inadequate - like you, we often have half-a-dozen or more devices that need charging. I suppose the issue is a legacy one; when the cabling was installed a single socket per cabin limited the total demand to a safe level. Nowadays though, we have many devices to charge, but each requires only a tiny amount of power.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 30 Aug 2017 13:16

Good comprehensive review, Geoff :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 01 Sep 2017 08:55

Looks like a very nice cabin Geoff. Thanks for taking the time to post your review and photographs. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Mungo » 02 Sep 2017 07:40

Thanks Geoff. Not been in and inside cabin on Aurora. It will be interesting to see if the layout of F deck inside cabins are the same as that's what I have for my New Year cruise. ;)
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral