Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Ventura C deck balcony cabin

Ventura C deck balcony cabin

Ventura C deck balcony cabin

Postby Dave » 21 Sep 2011 07:03

There's been some talk (in another topic) about the advantages of choosing a balcony cabin on C deck on Ventura, so I thought I'd share my opinions in a 'cabin review'. (Hopefully, it might be of interest to those considering other Grand class ships such as Azura, Grand Princess, etc.)

This was only our second cruise with a balcony. Three months previously, we'd had a junior balcony suite on Balmoral and, since the general layout and square-footage were very similar, comparisons were inevitable.

I felt Ventura's cabin was functional and rather cramped which, given its reasonable size, might seem puzzling. The 'bathroom' (no bath!) was the smallest we'd ever had - including those in our previous inside and outside cabins. Taking a photo wasn't easy!:

Between the bathroom and the rest of the cabin was this great big... er, space. Actually, it was a space with a shelf and a rail and I suppose it could be described as a walk-in wardrobe. It might be better described as a wardrobe with no doors:

It was a bit of a squeeze to get past the bed, but at least this was a double (unlike Balmoral's two singles!):

The 'living area' is compact, and the single comfy chair became a place to dump our clothes:

But the saving grace for this cabin was the balcony - it was not only quite big, but it was half-covered by the balcony above which meant that we could pop outside for a fag - even in the rain!

Although the balcony has ample space for a couple of loungers, there were only two chairs, a small table, and one footstool. Looking down on the balconies below, we could see they all had two footstools, so I asked our cabin steward where our other one was. He told us that only the deluxe balcony cabins have two footstools! So sun-bathing on the balcony required laying out towels on that green plastic stuff that's very painful to walk on in bare feet...

Our Ventura cruise in the Caribbean was absolutely brilliant. Our memories of Ventura are generally very favourable; our memories of P&O are less so. And all we ever say about the cabin is: "Big balcony...".
Last edited by Dave on 18 Feb 2013 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Ventura C deck balcony cabin

Postby jenny wren » 21 Sep 2011 15:35

We did a Transatlantic on Ventura in a C deck balcony and decided it we had one again we would take a blow up air bed (like you take to the beach) to lie on and leave it behind if weight was an issue!! As it was I just lay on the floor...we did think that the advantage of the balcony outweighed the disadvantages of the cabin and would happily choose it again.....
jenny wren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dave » 21 Sep 2011 15:43

jenny wren wrote:We did a Transatlantic on Ventura in a C deck balcony and decided it we had one again we would take a blow up air bed (like you take to the beach) to lie on and leave it behind if weight was an issue!! As it was I just lay on the floor...we did think that the advantage of the balcony outweighed the disadvantages of the cabin and would happily choose it again.....

Agreed - the balcony was the best bit!

I wasn't going to post this, but since you mentioned sunbathing on the balcony... :oops:

...still, at least I've made the photo smaller than normal - and you can't see my knees. :lol:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby jenny wren » 21 Sep 2011 17:47

Nothing wrong with your knees Dave !! I did have a cushion under my head !!
jenny wren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby grannyM » 21 Sep 2011 18:04

As I don't sunbed the floor was not a problem but we did have some issues about there only being one footstool. :lol:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Skier Pete » 22 Sep 2011 00:49

I'm a D-deck man or better still E-deck (but must be a CC grade cabin as the balconies are not over looked as they are on D-deck), for the bigger cabin and the nice extras, Not being one for sitting in the sun, i use the balcony for photography and drinks at sunset. Note I went on Azura but it's basically the same ship design.

CC Grade cabin on D deck

And from the other direction

The balcony

Looking down on C-deck and D-deck balconies ( well half of a C-deck balcony) C are nearer the bottom of the photo and D nearer the top)
Note 2 foot stools on D deck

Pete
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 22 Sep 2011 07:44

That's good to know Pete. That is the same cabin as we had on D but definitely better not to be overlooked. Ours was a late booking for Grand Princess last year and we couldn't get an E deck but will keep it in mind for the future. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby jsb » 22 Sep 2011 08:28

We knew we would be overlooked when we booked our C deck balcony cabin, but decided we didn't mind and the covered bit will be great for OH to stand under to have a smoke if it is raining. We know the people either side of us so they won't mind him smoking. ;)
Don't worry be happy.
jsb
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England