Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Costa Fortuna Premium Balcony Cabin No 6467 Lisbona Deck (6)

Costa Fortuna Premium Balcony Cabin No 6467 Lisbona Deck (6)

Postby Wansbrough » 18 Apr 2014 15:06

I will start with the cabins location, as you will see from the image below this is an aft facing cabin on deck 6. We have not had an aft cabin on Costa before but were not put off after our previous MSC experience where because there are only 2 areas to change decks meant you had to walk a fair distance every time to go up or down. The Costa ships we have been on have 3 stair/lift areas and the rear one is within quick reach of the cabin.

Our location meant that almost nobody walked past the cabin as it was right in the centre at the aft so from that respect the cabin was quiet.

Looking from the stair lobby towards the aft

Looking into the cabin from the corridor

Although classed as a premium cabin is no different than any other Costa cabin we have had except ....... for a little pinch point right outside the bathroom. At first we couldn't understand why but eventually I think I sussed the reason. There appears to be a large structural support running down one side of the cabin and I believe this has meant that a lot of the cabin has all been pushed over to accommodate it. You can see the steel on the first 2 photos below of the balcony.

The cabin itself was well maintained and very clean, plenty of storage, hangers and drawer space. Its really just a very typical comfortable and basic Costa cabin.

The only other grumble would be that you could sometimes hear music from the bar below but we always sleep with the balcony door open and the noise from the turbulent water outside drowned it out anyway. :D

The bathroom is again a no thrills typical Costa one which was clean and well maintained. Lovely sticky shower curtains which are always cold when you touch them! Yuk!

I had done some research into the aft balcony's on these ships and discovered that due to the profile of the ship they are in fact deeper than the standard balcony. Here are some photos to show you what I mean. It all does look a little tired but there is a reason for this which I will explain. The ship is 11 years old and I think overdue a dry fit and one of the things which soon became apparent was the funnel often spewed out flakes of soot which consequently landed not only over parts of the upper decks but also on our balcony. The steward hoovered our balcony every day as well as mopping it but I think he is fighting a losing battle. The seats and deck show signs that this has been happening a while. Once we were aware of it we became more careful what we touched or leaned on.

Would I book this cabin again?......yes, even considering the bad bits it was still a great cabin in a great location.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 18 Apr 2014 15:19

Thanks for that W. We're newly converted to Costa and your review of your aft cabin might well prove a helpful reference one day.

We've not had a stern balcony cabin yet, but our experience of a corner balcony on Deliziosa makes me think I'd prefer one to a side balcony. The advantages are that there's more shelter from the wind and that you can see everything you pass - albeit after others have seen half from their balconies!

Being somewhat unsociable, I'm not keen on the sloping partitions though. :oops:

The cabin itself looks okay but I'm surprised you had an old-style TV. As you say, a refit might be due.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Costa Fortuna Premium Balcony Cabin No 6467 Lisbona Deck

Postby Peka » 18 Apr 2014 16:09

Looks comfortable enough :)

Not sure about the balcony the soot thing would be annoying and stop you using it.. the chairs look :sick: , undeniably a great view to wake up to (on sea days) If you woke up and there was a fugly ship staring you in the face first thing it wouldn't be so good :lol:
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Costa Fortuna Premium Balcony Cabin No 6467 Lisbona Deck

Postby Wansbrough » 18 Apr 2014 16:34

Peka wrote: If you woke up and there was a fugly ship staring you in the face first thing it wouldn't be so good :lol:

Like these 2 little beauties you mean? :lol: :lol:

The first one was in Aqaba then lo and behold next day in Eilat as well. :lol: :lol:

Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 18 Apr 2014 16:58

Looks like a nice position W. Glad you enjoyed it. We had an aft cabin on Eurodam and we did appreciate how quiet the corridor was. Pity about the soot on the balcony. What a shame for the cabin steward having to clean that every day. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland