Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cuban Fusion on TUI Discovery 2 - the countdown begins!

Cuban Fusion on TUI Discovery 2 - the countdown begins!

Postby Dave » 04 Oct 2017 17:41

Although our interest in cruising has waned somewhat in the last year or so, we haven't stopped altogether. Yesterday, I went into the Thomson shop in Canterbury to pay the balance on this year's Christmas cruise. Although actually it'll be a New Year cruise this time because we fly to Jamaica on Boxing Day!

Last Christmas we were on TUI Discovery in the Caribbean and we had an absolutely fabulous cruise, not least because we thought that Discovery was the best ship we'd ever been on. Almost unheard of for us, we booked this year's Christmas cruise while we were on board. There was a bit of a discount and the charge to select a particular cabin was waived. Being very early bookers meant that we were able to reserve 8086, a Premier Junior Suite in the centre at the stern - it has the biggest balcony and it's in what we think is the perfect position.

One niggle I have with Thomson/TUI is that if you don't pay to select your plane seats you can end up being allocated seats on either side of an aisle, which is what happened to us last year. So, not wanting to chance it again, I paid a further £68 to make sure we sit together - with me having a window of course!

The itinerary includes Montego Bay (Jamaica), Georgetown (Grand Cayman), Cozumel (Mexico), and Havana (Cuba) where we have two days. Grand Cayman and Cuba will be new to us and we've begun to browse for ideas for what to do. We're definitely going to hire a classic car (with driver) in Havana and I really like the look of Havana Vintage Car Tours... 8-)
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 04 Oct 2017 18:32

My daughter went to Cuba ( hotel stay ) though stayed on a beach hotel she paid and stayed over night in Havana. She loved it, the cars are wonderful ( my hubby prefers British Vintage ) there are plenty about and even if you google you can book one online, well worth a ride in one.
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 04 Oct 2017 19:08

I love old American cars, especially those from the mid-1950s.

My all-time favourite has to be the 1957 Plymouth Fury - the one that starred as 'Christine' in the Stephen King film of the same name. Perfection on four wheels! :thumbup:

While browsing websites for vintage car tours in Havana I came across this beauty - an almost identical model to Christine, a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere. I'm not too sure about the colour, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. :D

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 05 Oct 2017 10:48

I 'swam' with the stingrays on Grand Cayman - a great experience. In Havana, check out the old train used by Castro - very interesting. Don't let Fred wear emerald green cycling shorts..............'tis the costume of 'ladies of the night' :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 05 Oct 2017 18:09

Gillzajoker wrote:I 'swam' with the stingrays on Grand Cayman - a great experience. In Havana, check out the old train used by Castro - very interesting. Don't let Fred wear emerald green cycling shorts..............'tis the costume of 'ladies of the night' :lol:

We've got from 9am until 8pm in Georgetown so I imagine we'll do an excursion as well as have a fair amount of time at a beach - me snorkelling and Fred sunbathing. The excursion that appeals to me is the Atlantis Submarine... :D

On this trip, the phrase sub-standard views has a positive meaning. After boarding the Atlantis Submarine, you’ll dive to a depth of 100 foot to explore the sea bed. This is deeper than any beginners’ scuba dive would take you. From the portals on either side of your vessel, you’ll be able to look out on Grand Cayman’s marine park. Shoals of mercury-coloured tarpon and schools of silverside fish make regular appearances in the water here, as do muscly grouper fish. If you’re lucky, you’ll also catch a stingray or a sea turtle cutting a course through the water. The highlight of the trip has to be the World Famous Cayman Wall. It boasts to be the best dive site in the world, with a host of different coloured coral. And with moray eels, lobsters and plenty of tropical fish its pretty impressive stuff.

(Image and text from the Thomson website.)

(p.s. We did the 'stingray stuff' on Moorea. 8-) )
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 05 Oct 2017 18:50

Wow! That submarine looks fantastic Dave. :thumbup:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 05 Oct 2017 21:34

judgegeoff wrote:Wow! That submarine looks fantastic Dave. :thumbup:

It certainly does Geoff. Thomson's website says that it's £68pp and the excursion lasts 1.5 hours, which seems quite reasonable value. Of course, I don't know how much of that time is spent submerged...

We did something similar in Curacao, but it was only a semi-sub. I posted an account here: Semi-sub in Curacao.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 05 Oct 2017 22:17

Dave wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:Wow! That submarine looks fantastic Dave. :thumbup:

It certainly does Geoff. Thomson's website says that it's £68pp and the excursion lasts 1.5 hours, which seems quite reasonable value. Of course, I don't know how much of that time is spent submerged...

We did something similar in Curacao, but it was only a semi-sub. I posted an account here: Semi-sub in Curacao.

I have been aboard so called 'submarines' that were actually boats with portholes or windows underwater in the hull (i.e semi-subs), but never in a proper submerging vessel. I think £68 sounds very reasonable and would certainly be taking the excursion if I was on that cruise. I am a tad envious!

Many years ago I spent some time working in a department who's permanent staff were mainly ex submariners and, it has to be said, they were a very odd lot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom