Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cuban Fusion on TUI Discovery 2 - the countdown begins!

Cuban Fusion on TUI Discovery 2 - the countdown begins!

Postby Arizona » 05 Nov 2017 23:49

In 2012 we went on a Quest for Adventure (Saga) cruise calling at Havana for a couple of days. We weren't aware beforehand that visas were needed because Saga organised all of the arrangements on our behalf. This has applied everywhere we have been with Saga where visas were required. Is this unusual I wonder, or do other companies also do this?
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 06 Nov 2017 09:14

Arizona wrote:In 2012 we went on a Quest for Adventure (Saga) cruise calling at Havana for a couple of days. We weren't aware beforehand that visas were needed because Saga organised all of the arrangements on our behalf. This has applied everywhere we have been with Saga where visas were required. Is this unusual I wonder, or do other companies also do this?

I am off to the Caribbean in Jan on a F.O. cruise booked through Saga. I was wondering about a visa to Cuba as we have a call there. I know from past experience that Saga usually handle all the visas. Hope that is the case this time as heard nothing yet. Perhaps I had better give them a ring! Ruth
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Cuban Fusion on TUI Discovery 2 - the countdown begins!

Postby Borneo » 06 Nov 2017 10:23

We are doing Cuba Land based with Saga , we have been told they do the visa .
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cuban Fusion on TUI Discovery 2 - the countdown begins!

Postby rdw123 » 06 Nov 2017 10:55

Borneo wrote:We are doing Cuba Land based with Saga , we have been told they do the visa .

Just answered my own question by reading again my booking details (and taking it in!). Good old Saga are going to send me my travel card with my tickets. Not too long to go now.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dave » 10 Nov 2017 19:32

As has been said, Saga provides tourist cards in the price of the holiday.

A bit of research showed me that Thomson / TUI also did until quite recently, but now they refer customers to a partner company that charges £74 per card. The Cuban embassy charges £39 per card and we were going to apply to them when I came across Cubaism Ltd. We requested two cards online and they arrived in just two days by recorded delivery - for a total of £50. Perhaps other companies are even cheaper, but we're very happy. :D
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 06 Dec 2017 23:14

With just under three weeks to go before the cruise we've finally got around to booking a classic car tour in Havana.

There's quite a lot of choice but we settled on Old Car Tours. They offer tours lasting 2 hours to 10 hours and we decided on somewhere in between (with a guide)...

They have a large collection of cars and it took us a long time to choose one - and this is it, a 1958 Mercury Monterey. :D

I made the reservation online and heard back from them very quickly, so it's all looking good so far!
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 06 Dec 2017 23:46

Dave wrote:With just under three weeks to go before the cruise we've finally got around to booking a classic car tour in Havana.

There's quite a lot of choice but we settled on Old Car Tours. They offer tours lasting 2 hours to 10 hours and we decided on somewhere in between (with a guide)...

They have a large collection of cars and it took us a long time to choose one - and this is it, a 1958 Mercury Monterey. :D

I made the reservation online and heard back from them very quickly, so it's all looking good so far!

Looks like an exciting trip - price is good to as it is per car? Looks like something the 'Family from Hell' :roll: would like to try!!!

What are the t&cs, Dave?

Upfront payment / Payment when you get there.

If the former and the ship fails to dock, do you get your dosh back (I am assuming that Havana is not the embarkation port!).
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 07 Dec 2017 00:03

tomvet wrote:Looks like an exciting trip - price is good to as it is per car? Looks like something the 'Family from Hell' :roll: would like to try!!!

What are the t&cs, Dave?

If the former and the ship fails to dock, do you get your dosh back (I am assuming that Havana is not the embarkation port!).

Hi Tom

The price is for the car regardless of the number of passengers. I assume it's Cuba's way of doing things, but no payment at all is required until the end of the tour (all of the companies had the same system). We've said what time we want to set off (having allowed a few hours for a possible late docking!) and all we need to do now is look out for someone with the car holding a board with our name on. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan! :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 07 Dec 2017 02:24

Dave wrote:
tomvet wrote:Looks like an exciting trip - price is good to as it is per car? Looks like something the 'Family from Hell' :roll: would like to try!!!

What are the t&cs, Dave?

Hi Tom

The price is for the car regardless of the number of passengers. I assume it's Cuba's way of doing things, but no payment at all is required until the end of the tour (all of the companies had the same system). We've said what time we want to set off (having allowed a few hours for a possible late docking!) and all we need to do now is look out for someone with the car holding a board with our name on. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan! :D

That's how they do it in the Caribbean - you reserve your date and time, show up, take the tour and pays your monies! IF was a simple every where else! I have those two letters T&C!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Previous