Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - That's Christmas 2018 sorted (on Marella Explorer)!

That's Christmas 2018 sorted (on Marella Explorer)!

Postby Dave » 04 Jan 2018 16:30

I knew TUI had plans to add a couple of their German Mein Schiff ships to their UK fleet but I didn't know that the first would be available for Christmas 2018 - until a few days ago when we browsed the brochure while on board Marella Discovery 2.

The first addition will be named Marella Explorer and she joins the fleet in May 2018. We were delighted to discover that Explorer will be doing Caribbean cruises during the Christmas holiday period and that one date suits us perfectly - 23rd December, with Christmas Day on board! :D

Much as we enjoyed our recent cruise from Jamaica, we much prefer cruises from Barbados so that was a bonus too. :D

We tried to book the cruise on board Discovery 2 but there was a problem with the internet so I visited our local TUI shop in Canterbury this morning. There was a fair amount of negotiation involved because they insisted they couldn't match the onboard quote (which I'd taken to show them) and their price was nearly £300 more. But when I said no and went to leave, it suddenly became possible to get to within about £50, so that was close enough and I paid the deposit. :D

Explorer has two types of balcony cabins - regular balcony and large balcony. I booked a 'large balcony' cabin on deck 10 and I'm hoping there will be a couple of sun loungers! 8-)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 04 Jan 2018 17:11

You don't mess about when you know what you want Dave. Quite right when the cabin, dates and ports suit you. :thumbup:

I must say we've always like the look of the Mein Schiff ships when we've seen them in different ports. :)
Last edited by grannyM on 05 Jan 2018 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 05 Jan 2018 17:45

good for you no point in hanging about if you see/know what you want :thumbup:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Re: That's Christmas 2018 sorted (on Marella Explorer)!

Postby Camela » 05 Jan 2018 20:13

Great Dave. You have to be prepared to walk away and look what you got. They want you more than you want them!!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Re: That's Christmas 2018 sorted (on Marella Explorer)!

Postby Dave » 05 Jan 2018 23:40

Camela wrote:Great Dave. You have to be prepared to walk away and look what you got. They want you more than you want them!!

Absolutely Camela; we'd been seriously considering the alternative of a land-based Christmas break somewhere hot by a beach for about the same price - there are many options! :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 05 Jan 2018 23:45

grannyM wrote:You don't mess about when you know what you want Dave. Quite right when the cabin, dates and ports suit you. :thumbup:

I must say we've always like the look of the Mein Schiff ships when we've seen them in different ports. :)

sparkiethecruiser wrote:good for you no point in hanging about if you see/know what you want :thumbup:

We're great believers in getting in quickly if possible because Fred has no flexibility when it comes to her holiday dates. I only wish I'd noticed sooner that Explorer itineraries were available because, even with a full year to go, my four preferred cabins had already gone. I did get my fifth choice though. :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 12 Jun 2018 12:38

Dave, we were in port at Palma with The Explorer last week, looks a fabulous ship. :thumbup:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 12 Jun 2018 13:21

Trace wrote:Dave, we were in port at Palma with The Explorer last week, looks a fabulous ship. :thumbup:

Thanks Trace, that's very good to hear. :thumbup: :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jimmy the One » 13 Jun 2018 17:25

Would like to have a Christmas cruise but Sheena wants it at home with the family.Need to look at Thomoson brochure the new ships look fab. :thumbup:
Good on you Dave for booking early look forward to the review.We have also booked early for next year
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Trace » 13 Jun 2018 21:07

Jimmy the One wrote:Would like to have a Christmas cruise but Sheena wants it at home with the family.Need to look at Thomoson brochure the new ships look fab. :thumbup:
Good on you Dave for booking early look forward to the review.We have also booked early for next year

Jimmy, I would definitely recommend the Discovery... I have to say she is one of my favourite ships, along with the Ventura.

Their new ship, the Marella Explorer looked very impressive in Palma on 2nd June... I wish I had taken photos for Dave, but i didn't bother with camera hardly at all, as the rest of the family were using theirs. I was just happy being with my grandchildren :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next