Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Aft junior suite or side ?

Aft junior suite or side ?

Postby gillyc33 » 29 Jan 2019 12:15

Have just booked a cruise for January and there are still some aft junior suite cabins left, do I go for this or a junior suite cabin on the port side? Any help please would be greatly appreciated thank you
gillyc33

Postby judgegeoff » 29 Jan 2019 13:21

A hearty welcome to our friendly forum Gilly. :wave: I am afraid that I cannot help you (I usually opt for steerage :lol: ) but I am sure that some of our members will be able to help you.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Boudicca" - Western Europe
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 29 Jan 2019 13:48

gillyc33 wrote:Have just booked a cruise for January and there are still some aft junior suite cabins left, do I go for this or a junior suite cabin on the port side? Any help please would be greatly appreciated thank you

Hi Gill and welcome to the forum. :wave:

Although you haven't mentioned it here, I know from your email that the ship in question is Discovery 2. ;)

We've had aft junior suites on Discovery and Discovery 2 (they're almost identical) and I've posted a comprehensive review on the forum:

Cabin Review: Tui Discovery Junior Suite 8082

I would always go for a stern / aft cabin in preference to one on the side of the ship. On Discovery, the balconies are a lot bigger, and the views are better from the stern than from one of the sides.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Booked land-based holidays 2019: June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Aft junior suite or side ?

Postby gillyc33 » 29 Jan 2019 13:51

thank you for this … did you experience any engine noise? or sea sickness? have to say sounds great having an aft balcony... husband not so sure! I suppose I could ditch the husband !!!!
gillyc33

Postby Camela » 29 Jan 2019 13:54

Welcome Gilly. Have you been on any cruises before or will this be the first?
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 29 Jan 2019 14:33

gillyc33 wrote:thank you for this … did you experience any engine noise? or sea sickness? have to say sounds great having an aft balcony... husband not so sure! I suppose I could ditch the husband !!!!

No... no noise, and very little movement. If there's one downside to an aft junior suite on Discovery 2 it's that there's no aft staircase - so going anywhere on the ship involves a walk to the middle staircase.

We've had aft balconies on three ships and side balconies on many others. All else being equal, we'd always go for those at the back!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Booked land-based holidays 2019: June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby gillyc33 » 02 Feb 2019 22:29

Many thanks Dave sounds brilliant so will stick with the aft balcony suite and tell husband they must have made a mistake as the side cabins were full !! so looking forward to it. This will be our third cruise and you are right it is the Discovery 2 with a very varied itinery. Thank you once again
gillyc33