Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Marella 2 Wifi question

Marella 2 Wifi question

Marella 2 Wifi question

Postby vulcanxh558 » 15 Apr 2019 17:15

When we booked with Tui we were advised that once on board to download the Marella app. So the question is, does the Marella 2 have free wifi in places (lounge etc). Ive read somewhere its about £50 for 5 days use which I certainly am not paying.
Mediterranean Cruise booked for May 2020.
vulcanxh558
Ensign
Ensign

Marella 2 Wifi question

Postby Dave » 15 Apr 2019 18:04

vulcanxh558 wrote:When we booked with Tui we were advised that once on board to download the Marella app. So the question is, does the Marella 2 have free wifi in places (lounge etc). Ive read somewhere its about £50 for 5 days use which I certainly am not paying.

We've done several TUI cruises with the most recent being last Christmas. There has never been free wi-fi anywhere on board - the app provides conveniences such as booking restaurants, but you'll have to pay to add internet access. I can't remember exactly what we paid for internet access, but it was less than what you've mentioned; I think it was a little under £50 for 7 days (effectively) unlimited. Except for river cruise lines, TUI has always been much, much cheaper than any other cruise line we've tried (and a fraction of what some charge!).
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Marella 2 Wifi question

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 15 Apr 2019 18:30

like Dave says the app is just for booking ship wide things so its like a local wifi service sort of for making bookings of ship wide activities easier. I have only paid for wifi once I think maybe twice but i know def did it once and that was on RCI but it was for a reason cant remember what now but had to get online for something back home but i remember prices where extortionate and to be honest £50 is cheap in comparison even although still expensive.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Marella 2 Wifi question

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Apr 2019 11:03

vulcanxh558 wrote:When we booked with Tui we were advised that once on board to download the Marella app. So the question is, does the Marella 2 have free wifi in places (lounge etc). Ive read somewhere its about £50 for 5 days use which I certainly am not paying.

Then for heaven's sake, don't cruise Celebrity! I was on Constellation in December, and the price for WiFi was $28 an hour or $332 a week! (I voted with my feet, also!). :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Marella 2 Wifi question

Postby Camela » 16 Apr 2019 15:00

Gillzajoker wrote:

Then for heaven's sake, don't cruise Celebrity! I was on Constellation in December, and the price for WiFi was $28 an hour or $332 a week! (I voted with my feet, also!). :D

Spoiled your ballot paper Gill? :lol:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Re: Marella 2 Wifi question

Postby Carwalsick » 16 Apr 2019 20:27

Maybe one of the reasons why we stick with Saga where wifi is free. Having said that I could happily live without it for a couple of weeks. We used to manage during our earlier cruising days.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 16 Apr 2019 20:44

Carwalsick wrote:Maybe one of the reasons why we stick with Saga where wifi is free. Having said that I could happily live without it for a couple of weeks. We used to manage during our earlier cruising days.

Hmm... less than £50 per week for wi-fi on TUI (and gratuity-free and free AI) versus very expensive Saga with free wi-fi... :think:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Carwalsick » 17 Apr 2019 07:33

Dave wrote:
Carwalsick wrote:Maybe one of the reasons why we stick with Saga where wifi is free. Having said that I could happily live without it for a couple of weeks. We used to manage during our earlier cruising days.

Hmm... less than £50 per week for wi-fi on TUI (and gratuity-free and free AI) versus very expensive Saga with free wi-fi... :think:
It's admittedly a while ago but I knocked up a spreadsheet trying to compare the cost per day on broadly similar ships to broadly similar itineraries factoring in items included such as wifi, shuttles, gratuities, insurance, etc and found Saga, on average, to be not dissimilar to other lines. It, of course, depends on how early one books and whether one gains the on board loyalty benefits of free laundry and discounts. I might try it again on a wet afternoon and will post the outcome.

November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom