Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Caribbean Princess - Caribe 741 - Inside, Cat ID (2013)

Caribbean Princess - Caribe 741 - Inside, Cat ID (2013)

Postby Peka » 14 Jun 2013 09:03

As my cabin sorry stateroom :roll: was an inside, situated right at the back of the ship it was relatively quiet (apart from a bit of engine or whatever noise/vibrations) but at least I knew when we were arriving in port everyday, without having a window to check!

Split into two areas, I thought was good, first from the door to the right - the bathroom and dressing area and then into the main “living” area.

Overall comfortable and spacious - approximately 163ft according to the Princess website, with plenty of storage. (at least I thought so, for one person on a 12 day trip, but I don’t take much!)

Bed… hmm the bed was a bit “Goldilocks” for me :lol: the twin beds made into a queen sized bed…one side a little soft, the other side alright…but I often ended up falling down the middle trying to get comfortable and as the bed kept deciding to part!

bed.jpg

Two bedside cabinets with two drawers and shelf each. I did have a problem a few nights, maybe it was a little bumpy as the drawers flew open, scaring the life out of me! The bedside lamps, with very annoying twisty turn off (we all had problems with them) it either twists around and around and doesn’t turn off, or twist and the light close off so quickly with a pop, you aren’t sure if you had blown the bulb, so end up twisting it again to check! In fact, the bulb did blow in my parents room and even exploded in my grandparents room :shock: as they found fragments of glass one day.

Large hanging open space more than enough for me – I counted 30 hangers I only needed about 6, I must have used the man’s share of the hangers! ;) I did find that I had to push all the hangers to one end, as they swayed and clanked about at times. There is a shelf above that stores the life jackets and beach towels plus space for other stuff (I put my holdall out of the way up there and still had space) My case stored easily in the wardrobe space, I think it would have gone under the bed OK, I didn’t think of putting it there until writing this! (but there was plenty of things already under the bed :? Spare sheets etc by the looks of it.)

hanger.jpg

Next to the wardrobe a large cupboard with about six shelves one of which houses the safe (nice and easy to use, I’ve never bothered with the safe before, I don’t possess anything worth nicking!) I just used it for the fun of it, mainly locking my chocolates away every night!

cup.jpg

Desk/vanity whatever you want to call it, a large mirror with spotlights above, with three drawers. Fitted hair-dryer, I tried it once, OK, I guess - it got my hair from wet to dry! Two (US) power sockets to the side (why are they always placed so low it is hard to plug items in?) I couldn’t find the spare adapter before we went, so I had to trek down the corridor to charge stuff, until I discovered the sockets for the bedside lamps were Euro fittings. :mrgreen:

desk2.jpg

Fridge to the side, stocked with a bottle of water and 4 sodas (I can’t remember if there were there to start with, I think I checked first and it was empty :think: ) Ice bucket - I just used the ice :lol: it soon melted and provided me with enough cool water to refill my bottle everyday!

fridge.jpg

TV above the fridge, fitted slightly wonkily to the wall. I think channels 47-49 relayed info from the ship, weather, position etc/webcam. Channel 50 showed anything that was broadcast on the big screen up on Lido Deck (Movies Under the Stars) other channels had the usual movies, US TV shows, news and sports etc, picture quality was poor, the menu had been disabled so you couldn’t adjust the brightness/contrast and colour. Reception was OK, not that we were anywhere remote, but in-house stuff, the picture was worse! There is a daily “Wake show” with the Cruise Director, mainly pointless as he basically read the info direct from the Princess Patter/port info sheets – showing them on screen but all you could see were white sheets of paper! The only interesting part of the show was that it was hosted from different areas of the ship you don’t usually see.

There is a small circular table placed in the room in the stupidest place, against the wall between the desk and walkway leaving about a foot to negotiate around. Another item I shoved in the corner in the wardrobe space!

Bathroom - shower, toilet, hand basin pretty much what you’d expect! Three open shelves to the side, I didn’t take much so there was plenty of space for my stuff. A shaving point, large mirror with spotlights so probably not a fantastic light for applying make-up maybe explaining some of the orange looking people :shh: but OK for putting contact lenses in.

bathroom741.JPG

The toiletries provided are all branded as Lotus Spa (ship’s own) - shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap, but no shower gel! As I was travelling light I almost didn’t bother packing my own, but luckily added a small bottle in my case last minute. They are usable but nothing special, found the shampoo a little drying, the eucalyptus scent made me feel like a koala :mrgreen: Replenished daily (if I removed a bottle there would be a replacement in the evening) so I have a few extra bottles, they are quite nice for refilling.

shampoo.jpg

I found the shower a little small, smashing my elbows, regularly :roll: and if the shampoo or whatever fell out the holder, it was pretty hard to bend down and pick it up again without hitting your head or something. The shower pressure wasn’t great even after adjusting the shower head, the temperature (I don’t like exceeding hot showers) but turning it all the way 50°C and it not feeling hot isn’t so good!) another thing was the fact that the shower head is at a fixed height about three inches from my head, I am about 5’9” so anyone 6 foot + would probably stay dry. The only adjustment just sprayed the water at the wall or hit the stupid shower curtain and make a big puddle on the floor :oops:

The towels, were tiny and you could barely wrap them around yourself, without them falling off if you tried to move or even breathe. I won a large magnetic clip, so ended using it to hold the towel together and keep it in place, not its intended use I am sure!! The hand towels were so small, I couldn’t wrap one round my head to dry my hair as I really don’t like to use a hair-dryer :roll: great I made myself sound fat and big headed in the space of one paragraph! I think I’ll finish now!

My parent’s and grandparent’s cabins were at the front of the ship on the same deck (also inside, exactly the same, though a different category, zero difference) but seemed very noisy in the evening, you could hear the music thumping from three decks below, so maybe that made a slight price difference, I have no idea. Unless they all had very noisy neighbours!

My friend’s cabin was on Plaza Deck 5 outside; she had a picture window, that was purely the only difference. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 14 Jun 2013 09:44

Thanks for that Peka. Never having been on a Princess ship ( and probably never will), it was great to see the photos and read your comprehensive description. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 14 Jun 2013 13:08

Thank Peka, that was a thorough and thoroughly entertaining review! :thumbup:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Caribbean Princess - Caribe 741 - Inside, Cat ID (2013)

Postby andynew » 15 Jun 2013 20:32

Thanks Peka, looks very much like Ventura, we are on Crown Princess in August in an inside aft Riviera, so likely identical to the photos. Liked this spot on Ventura as it had the shortcut to the Terrace pool and bar at the end of the corridor, was the Carribean the same.
andynew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby tomvet » 15 Jun 2013 20:46

Why did you not shove the bed against the wall and both lockers on the same side and get rid of a lamp - you would have much more space. Entertaining review!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Peka » 15 Jun 2013 22:07

andynew wrote:Thanks Peka, looks very much like Ventura, we are on Crown Princess in August in an inside aft Riviera, so likely identical to the photos. Liked this spot on Ventura as it had the shortcut to the Terrace pool and bar at the end of the corridor, was the Carribean the same.

No shortcuts (from that deck anyway) it just went into the suites. it was a short walk to the nearest stairs (or lifts :roll:) and up four decks to get to Lido deck, but not the pool entrances it takes you between the end of Horizon Court and the start of Café Caribe. Walking through Horizon Court takes you to the two main pools.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 15 Jun 2013 22:09

tomvet wrote:Why did you not shove the bed against the wall and both lockers on the same side and get rid of a lamp - you would have much more space. Entertaining review!

ermm...

A) because I never thought of that :lol: particular arrangement, I nearly did some rearranging, I am known for shifting all the furniture around in my room if I can't sleep :lol:
    B) I did in fact pull half bed out to reach the plug sockets behind, but it was quite heavy to move.
    C) there was enough room, once I ditched the table round the corner

:mrgreen:

The bed frames were quite solid, I know cos I almost tripped over a couple, kindly left propped up against a wall in the corridor, with a trolley left on the other side, leaving about a foot of space to squeeze through :roll:

The corridors were an obstacle course most of the time, always trolleys blocking the way and loads of plates of half eaten food :x left outside peoples rooms.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom