Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Crown Princess Balcony Cabin Deck 12 Aloha 214

Crown Princess Balcony Cabin Deck 12 Aloha 214

Postby grannyM » 17 Jul 2013 11:20

The Balcony Cabins on this ship and what we remember from Grand Princess do not compare favourably with the Balcony cabins on Royal Caribbean ships that we have been on. They are quite small and there is a lack of flat surfaces and drawer and cupboard space in comparison.
(click thumbnails for larger image)

There was only the dressing table top and the area under the television with a tray for glasses so these could get a little cluttered. There is a small fridge under the television area with an ice bucket which was filled with fresh ice every day. We never had to ask. You could also order fresh fruit to be delivered to your cabin every day but we didn’t take advantage of this as it was always available in the buffet most of the day anyway.

The bed was of the usual high standard and very comfortable. The sheets and pillows lovely and soft. There was a fresh pillow slip on both the top pillows every day and the sheets were changed regularly.

There is one armchair and a straight chair for use at the dressing table. Above the dressing table is the hairdryer which was powerful unlike the usual standard of dryer on ships and in hotels. However the cord was messy and got in the way of the electric sockets.

Two US style sockets which were placed so close together that it was impossible to use both with a plug converter at the same time. Thankfully we had purchased the Swiss travel multi-converter with double USB ports so you could re-charge two items like Kindles or laptops at the same time if necessary. We used it for our e.cigs. For the mobile or camera batteries it had to be one at a time.

The walk in wardrobe beside the shower room is absolutely brilliant with plenty of hanging space and shelves so this more than made up for the overall size of the cabin.

The shower room is also small. In fact it is probably the smallest shower we’ve ever had. Shower curtain was weighted at the bottom so not too clingy but definitely not as good as a glass door. Some toiletries were provided. Bathrobes provided on request and although they were supposed to be ‘one size to fit all’ there was a big difference in the two we got. The smaller of the two barely wrapped round me and the larger was the same on OH so I got that one and he just used the his own.

The balcony has two chairs and small table. There is an overhang on this deck which does not bother us as we don’t sunbathe. On this trip there was little sun anyway. Although we did have some nice evenings after some pretty awful weather during the day so we were glad to have the opportunity to use the balcony. On previous cruises on Grand Princess we had staterooms on lower decks Caribe and Dolphin, where the balconies are overlooked from above but Deck 12-Aloha as well as the 2 decks above, 14-Riviera and 15-Lido, as well as 11-Baja below us were not.

I must mention our stateroom attendant Ricardo, from Mexico, who was excellent. Our cabin, and especially the shower room, was always cleaned to perfection and towels changed whether we left them on the floor for changing or hung them on the rail. As I’ve mentioned before we never had to ask for anything because he did his job so well.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Crown Princess Balcony Cabin Deck 12 Aloha 214

Postby Peka » 17 Jul 2013 13:53

Looks pretty much like the one I had, but with a balcony :lol: would have been nice!

Princess deck names make no sense to me at all.... why Deck 11 is called Baja being in the middle of the ship is beyond me :crazy:
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Crown Princess Balcony Cabin Deck 12 Aloha 214

Postby grannyM » 17 Jul 2013 16:05

Peka wrote:Looks pretty much like the one I had, but with a balcony :lol: would have been nice!

Princess deck names make no sense to me at all.... why Deck 11 is called Baja being in the middle of the ship is beyond me :crazy:

I know, what's wrong with just a simple deck number anyway? :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 17 Jul 2013 16:41

Thanks Marie, I'll add it to the Cabin Reviews flip book when we've enough for a new edition. :thumbup:

The cabin looks almost identical to the one we had on Ventura, except for the smaller balcony. I thought the 'bathroom' was extremely small too, but I disagree about the 'walk-in wardrobe' - I just thought it was a partition with a shelf and clothes rail, and I thought the space would have been better used in making the bathroom larger!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 17 Jul 2013 18:03

Dave wrote:Thanks Marie, I'll add it to the Cabin Reviews flip book when we've enough for a new edition. :thumbup:

The cabin looks almost identical to the one we had on Ventura, except for the smaller balcony. I thought the 'bathroom' was extremely small too, but I disagree about the 'walk-in wardrobe' - I just thought it was a partition with a shelf and clothes rail, and I thought the space would have been better used in making the bathroom larger!

Ah! I was wondering about calling it a wardrobe actually. We both liked it better than the alternative of wardrobe doors alongside the bed which was really a tight squeeze. That was the set up we had on Grand Princess but, yes, you're right it did mean that the bathroom was slightly larger. :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Wansbrough » 18 Aug 2013 16:13

:lol: I see signs of an immaculate cabin which has no personal possessions (and life jackets on the bed too) ;).
Truth be known, I do exactly the same when ever I now first set foot in the cabin as it never ever looks like that again while we are in it. :roll: Mrs W normally heads for sanctuary in the loo while I go snappy snappy in the cabin. :D

Lovely presentation M and thanks for sharing it with us, and I have to say it does look a very comfortable cabin.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 18 Aug 2013 18:00

Well thank you very much W. I must admit I try to keep both myself and T out of the first day photos but it's not always possible. He is quite bemused by my snappy snappy but takes it all in good part when I'm shouting 'get out the way'. :lol:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Wansbrough » 18 Aug 2013 18:45

grannyM wrote:Well thank you very much W. I must admit I try to keep both myself and T out of the first day photos but it's not always possible. He is quite bemused by my snappy snappy but takes it all in good part when I'm shouting 'get out the way'. :lol:

That sounds very very familiar :lol:
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom