Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The future of "Saga Sapphire"

The future of "Saga Sapphire"

Postby judgegeoff » 13 Aug 2019 00:23

I understand that, when "Saga Sapphire" completes her service with Saga after summer 2020, she will be purchased by Turkish tour operator 'Anex Tour'. Her home port will be Antalya in Turkey and she will cruise the Eastern Mediterranean and the Aegean Sea.

Chris and I had a couple of cruises in those areas on the "Voyager" cruise ship before her parent company 'Voyages of Discovery' ceased trading in January 2017. We really enjoyed those areas and in particular Antalya, where we would have loved to have spent more time. So we await, with bated breath, to see what cruises the old Saga ship will be undertaking.

We have never sailed on the "Saga Sapphire", but were lucky enough to experience a day visit to her in 2017 and found her to be a very elegant and comfortable old lady. Hopefully we will be able to experience a cruise on her with her new owners.
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 13 Aug 2019 11:27

Fingers crossed for both experiences for you, Geoff. I sailed on Voyages of Discovery 'Discovery'
on a cruise called 'In the Wake of the Bounty' - which incorporated Easter Island (a real treat!) -
and really liked the ship. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby judgegeoff » 13 Aug 2019 16:27

Gillzajoker wrote:Fingers crossed for both experiences for you, Geoff. I sailed on Voyages of Discovery 'Discovery'
on a cruise called 'In the Wake of the Bounty' - which incorporated Easter Island (a real treat!) -
and really liked the ship. :D

We found the crew of the "Voyager"to be superb - nothing was too much trouble for them - we also enjoyed the lectures which were of a far better quality than most other ships. And who could resist a Captain who was also a rock guitarist? We were very sad when the Company went into liquidation and hoped that the Captain, officers and crew all found suitable positions with other Lines - they deserved it.
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The future of "Saga Sapphire"

Postby khkate » 17 Aug 2019 08:53

We saw the news item that Saga Sapphire had been sold. It is good that her future is assured, especially as Saga Pearl still seems to be sitting in Piraeus with an uncertain future. Certainly, Sapphire in her new role may still attract many of her faithful followers when she is in her new role as that part of the Med has much to attract it - the only problem is having to fly to get there. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time Geoff and look forward to hearing of those adventures in due course.
Future Cruises - Canaries, Europe, Scandinavia, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral