Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga new ships

Saga new ships

Saga new ships

Postby newmember » 16 Jan 2020 20:39

Warnings (based on my two experiences on SoD) for anyone heading out on a cruise with Saga.
TOURS:
(a) if planning to book on ship, check at tours desk when the bookings close. The ship bookings form tells you that you have t cancel not less than 48 hours before port arrival for a full refund, but there is no information anywhere about when bookings are closed (not published in the "Today", on the form, or at the desk). I recommend asking two different people on the Explore Ashore desk, as answers to questions can vary.
(b) do not rely on the destinations talks to decide which tours you want to take. On the New York cruise, the talk for the last port was less than 24 hours before arrival, and on 5 others less than 48 hours before arrival, which is when I discovered that the bookings for these ports had already closed before the talk started. The destinations lecturer (Keith Pritchard, no less) was evidently not aware of this as he was recommending that we take specific ships tours if we wanted to see specific sites.
I have no idea why the talks were so late, as there were plenty of sea days at the start of the cruise. Explore Ashore could not say why either.

CABIN SPEAKERS:
Wait in your cabin with the outside doors closed for the embarkation passenger drill announcement and alarm to make sure that you can hear the emergency signals clearly. If you cannot hear, or it is muffled, then your speaker will be like ours - still full of packing material from the construction crew; I could not hear anything of the announcement, and the alarm would certainly not have woken me up if I was asleep.
newmember
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Saga new ships

Postby khkate » 18 Jan 2020 19:39

Re your comment about closing dates not being shown in the Today programme - I know its a little while since we have been on the new ships (Oct 2019), but they were still being indicated then. In the bit about the opening hours of the Explore Ashore desks, there was usually an entry reminding that booking closed for a particular port's tours.

interesting wheat you mention about the in-cabin speakers. I know on our cruise we did in October, announcements were far clearer in the bathroom than they were in the main cabin area.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Arizona » 01 Feb 2020 20:49

We had the same problem with the cabin announcements back in October. Most could only be heard in the bathroom or with the cabin door open to the corridor. In conversation with one of the officers we learned that the ship had quite a long ‘snagging’ list which staff onboard from the shipyard were gradually working through. Surprisingly there is only a one year warranty from the shipyard so there is pressure to sort out the problems quickly.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 08 Feb 2020 19:27

Arizona wrote:We had the same problem with the cabin announcements back in October. Most could only be heard in the bathroom or with the cabin door open to the corridor. In conversation with one of the officers we learned that the ship had quite a long ‘snagging’ list which staff onboard from the shipyard were gradually working through. Surprisingly there is only a one year warranty from the shipyard so there is pressure to sort out the problems quickly.

And hopefully learn from any design issues, so they are not experienced on the second ship!
CRUISES BOOKED:
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Arizona » 15 Feb 2020 17:52

Saga have announced that the second new ship, Spirit of Adventure, is to be named in Portsmouth on the 19th August. This will be the first cruise ship naming ceremony ever held in Portsmouth, chosen for its maritime history.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 17 Feb 2020 18:19

But none of us "commoners" will be invited! Wonder who the godmother will be!
CRUISES BOOKED:
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby khkate » 17 Feb 2020 18:22

By the way - the brochure for 2021 season is due for general release from 23rd March!
CRUISES BOOKED:
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Arizona » 18 Feb 2020 15:12

Mary Berry would be my choice for godmother
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant