Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga included insurance

Saga included insurance

Saga included insurance

Postby newmember » 22 May 2020 21:00

Interesting - and very alarming.
Saga have publicised that any travel insurance taken out on/after 3rd April 2020 will not cover coronavirus. This applies to stand-alone insurance and insurance included with a booking.
Saga cruise booked back in 2018. Included insurance added last year.
So it includes cover for coronavirus, yes?
Or no?
Final balance of holiday paid today - and revised documentation now states that the included insurance does not cover ANYTHING related to coronavirus.
Sent them an email, waiting for response - but I am distinctly unimpressed.
I'll let you know their response in due course, as it may well be a computer documentation mistake (which is not unusual).
Or it may be that the relevant date for the insurance is the date the balance is paid.
In which case, nobody with Saga's included insurance is going to have coronavirus cover.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Saga included insurance

Postby Gillzajoker » 23 May 2020 09:44

Oh dear, please keep us informed! A friend who works in the travel industry has just renewed his
Annual Insurance Policy and it specfies that, as it is a renewal of an existing policy, then Covid would
be covered, but with any new policies, then it would not be covered.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Saga included insurance

Postby newmember » 23 May 2020 09:57

Was that a Saga annual inurance, or another company?

I hope to get a reply Tuesday/Wednesday (nobody available before then - webchat is useless, they are not allowed to answer anything) and I'll update then.
It is worrying, because the booking confirmation received last year quite clearly stated that insurance was included.
The booking confirmation added to MySaga yesterday to confirm fully paid was the same booking- apart from an added line stating that the included insurance would not cover coronavirus, etc.
So if this is not a mistake, it means that the original booking has been changed mid-term, and the only people who would be covered would be those who booked AND PAID before 3rd April 2020.
I'm hoping that it is a mistake by Saga's totally useless IT system (I see they were advertising for more people to join the IT department earlier this year - hope they get someone who can make it work as it should do).
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Arizona » 23 May 2020 18:35

When Saga rang to discuss our options after they cancelled our March cruise, it was specifically stated that bookings made before the end of March using Saga insurance were covered for Covid 19. However any future bookings from that date onwards, even with Saga insurance, would not be. However repatriation to the UK would be covered .....not sure that was so reassuring! In the meantime we have been informed by our own travel insurance company that Covid 19 is now a known risk and would no longer be covered in bookings made after the end of March. I believe this approach is now the norm for most UK travel insurance. Given this policy, it is going to be difficult to risk booking holidays while corona virus is running wild.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 23 May 2020 21:59

Agreed - which is why I was so dismayed that a booking made in 2018 with included insurance confirmed in 2019 has the final documentation stating that there is no cover for coronavirus.
Keeping fingers crossed that it turns out to be a documentation error.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 May 2020 08:53

newmember wrote:Was that a Saga annual inurance, or another company?

I hope to get a reply Tuesday/Wednesday (nobody available before then - webchat is useless, they are not allowed to answer anything) and I'll update then.
It is worrying, because the booking confirmation received last year quite clearly stated that insurance was included.
The booking confirmation added to MySaga yesterday to confirm fully paid was the same booking- apart from an added line stating that the included insurance would not cover coronavirus, etc.
So if this is not a mistake, it means that the original booking has been changed mid-term, and the only people who would be covered would be those who booked AND PAID before 3rd April 2020.
I'm hoping that it is a mistake by Saga's totally useless IT system (I see they were advertising for more people to join the IT department earlier this year - hope they get someone who can make it work as it should do).

No, not with Saga - another company.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain