Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A positive encounter from Saga

A positive encounter from Saga

Postby bobbyoscar » 15 Jul 2019 19:51

I just thought I'd mention that our next door but one neighbours returned today after an 11 night cruise on Saga Sapphire.

They had cruised previously with P & O x 2 and Marella.

They were full of praise and said that they were so well looked after, nothing was too much trouble. They found the food outstanding and liked the entertainment.
Unfortunately they were not too happy with the length of time spent at the focus of the shore excursions which tended to be only about 40 minutes.

They do intend sailing with Saga again.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: A positive encounter from Saga

Postby hazel20 » 02 Aug 2019 15:03

Interesting comment about Shore Ex - do you mean the port talks were too focused on tours?

the talk should last 40-45 minutes, and be aimed at independents with a brief overview of the tours.
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2020 - Balmoral - USA in the Fall - a minimal chance
2021 - 2 legs of Spirit of Discovery to South America
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby bobbyoscar » 02 Aug 2019 21:25

hazel20 wrote: do you mean the port talks were too focused on tours?

No, sorry, Hazel. I haven't made myself very clear. They said the time spent on shore at wherever the destination was tended to be between 30-40 minutes. The rest of the time was spent getting to and from the place.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Borneo » 06 Aug 2019 17:22

I suppose it depends on how far away the trip is going . On a recent cruise with Saga , port being Belfast, I would have liked to do Giants Causeway ,but realising there was a long time on the coach I decided against it. People that did it had a lovely time , just one said it was too long on coach, she hadn’t read that it was a long way .
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 06 Aug 2019 18:03

Borneo wrote:I suppose it depends on how far away the trip is going . On a recent cruise with Saga , port being Belfast, I would have liked to do Giants Causeway ,but realising there was a long time on the coach I decided against it. People that did it had a lovely time , just one said it was too long on coach, she hadn’t read that it was a long way .

My wife Chris and I visited the Giant's Causeway from Belfast whilst on a Fred. Olsen "Braemar" cruise. Whilst it is a fairly long coach journey the route runs along the coast with some of the most amazing scenery that we had ever seen. Approximately halfway there we stopped at a little fishing village for a 'comfort stop' and to allow people to stretch their legs. We fell in love with the scenic coast and, hopefully, will return there one day with our car (and my bass fishing rod). :)
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 06 Aug 2019 18:50

Maybe next time lol
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 09 Aug 2019 13:57

We did giants Causeway from Belfast on Saga Sapphire in 2013. Going up north, we went along the coastal road which was just amazing. We stopped somewhere for a photo stop and it was overlooking that rope bridge - Carick a Rede i think its called. Then onto giants Causeway where we had plenty of time to look around the visitor centre and then walk down to the causeway itself and then bus back up the hill. There is a shuttle bus that runs from the visitor centre to the stones and back for which there was normally a charge, but Saga passengers were able to use it free on production of cruise card. We then had lunch at a local hotel in bushmills before taking the motorway back to the ship. There was another coach from the ship had done the trip in reverse - thus doing the coastal road on the way back and apparently the sun was in the wrong place so their views were not so good.

What was even more amazing was when we did Iceland on Pearl in 2015, the captain brought us right close into shore (on way back to UK), so that we saw the Giants Causeway from the sea. Some very surprised people at the stones, especially as there had been thick fog, which parted just long enough for the captain to do a slow turn so we could all see it before the fog closed in again.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral