Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Discovry still has vomiting bug?

Spirit of Discovry still has vomiting bug?

Postby newmember » 05 Mar 2020 20:03

I have seen elsewhere that the ship still has some sort of vomiting bug on board.
Anyone know if this is true? If so, it will be the 4th consecutive cruise.
I have seen some of the reports from the last Norwegian cruise, and they do not make happy reading (for those not ill, it must have been an amazingly boring time when at sea - everything was closed, no library, crafts, etc.) so starting to wonder what on earth is going on.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Re: Spirit of Discovry still has vomiting bug?

Postby Carwalsick » 06 Mar 2020 10:14

Passengers on board have been told that the current cruise is to be terminated a day early and a pro rata credit given plus a 10% discount on a later 2020 cruise. Those who booked a back to back can either be transported home or re-join at a later port.
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 06 Mar 2020 11:24

Disappointing for everyone, though.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby jacktar » 06 Mar 2020 13:22

SAGA should have cancelled the Rouen cruise to "clean" the ship, as they they new they had a health problem on board during the Med' cruise. This would have saved a lot of bad publicity.
jacktar
Ensign
Ensign

Postby khkate » 07 Mar 2020 11:16

jacktar wrote:SAGA should have cancelled the Rouen cruise to "clean" the ship, as they they new they had a health problem on board during the Med' cruise. This would have saved a lot of bad publicity.

i'm sure with hindsight, Saga also wishes that they had cancelled the 4-night non-Rouen cruise. At least they are finally taking some action to eradicate it. We are on a 4-night cruise in April - one wonders if this might be cancelled - but I do really hope that the ships is clear of the bug by then - especially as bigger (and more serious) bugs are a possibility.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby newmember » 07 Mar 2020 11:26

As it is apparently still present on the current cruise, and as the action they have taken is (according to reports elsewhere) to close most of the facilities (such as the library!) continue the cruise, and simply return to Southampton a day early, presumably for yet another deep clean - not sure I would be that confident in their ability to manage any infection. I can only think of one reason for them to continue sailing and trying to contain it on board, and that is to save money.
They are not behaving in the way that I would expect of Saga, while things always change, it is a real shame when standards slide.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Arizona » 07 Mar 2020 12:28

We are becoming increasingly concerned at the situation on SoD as we are due to be on board in 3 weeks time. It is unacceptable to keep taking on new passengers only for them to have a miserable experience. Even if you don’t get norovirus, it seems that the cruise experience you have paid for is much diminished. Moreover if they can’t get on top of norovirus after this length of time, however are they going to cope when coronavirus eventually arrives on board?
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Carwalsick » 07 Mar 2020 13:06

With an imminent final payment and having lost all faith in Saga getting a grip, I have cancelled. I have a choice of losing my deposit or carrying it forward to a new booking made within the next couple of weeks. In the circumstances not a great deal.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Arizona » 07 Mar 2020 15:19

Interestingly I have had a very detailed email from Oceania saying that anyone who wishes to cancel cruises departing from mid March to September may do so with up to 48 hours notice and receive a full credit of the price paid towards a cruise in the future. This seems very fair and generous as passengers must be in a quandary about travelling just now, especially those with underlying health conditions. They have also cancelled calls to Italian ports for the moment. They stress that passengers’ well-being is their number one priority.
As things stand, in Saga’s case, we face a double whammy of norovirus and possible coronavirus if we travel in 3 weeks time or losing the entire cost of the cruise if we cancel.
I wonder which cruise company we will be choosing in future?"......
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Pinny » 07 Mar 2020 15:20

Having very recently paid our final payment for our cruise on SoD at the end of May, wondering what's best....presumably we'd lose the whole lot if we cancelled now but with the threat of Norovirus and or Coronavirus...can honestly say, not looking forward to it one little bit now I've read these latest posts......
Pinny
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
England

Next