Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Elderly people should not go on cruises

Elderly people should not go on cruises

Re: Elderly people should not go on cruises

Postby newmember » 13 Mar 2020 19:17

Not on my version, there isn't.
https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean.aspx.
It is there - right down the bottom of the page, a long way past the View all cruises button.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Arizona » 13 Mar 2020 19:28

Perhaps it appears differently on various devices. On my iPad on travel.saga.co.uk it is clearly at the top of the cruises page. Never thought I would be defending Saga’s admin!!
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Arizona » 14 Mar 2020 12:11

What a difference a day makes.
Early yesterday morning we were looking at losing thousands of pounds by choosing to cancel our cruise but within 24hours everything has changed in the cruising world. After emails to us yesterday afternoon explaining their intention to suspend cruising, Saga admin has managed to swing into action quickly so that this morning we have already had a letter in the post detailing their response to this unprecedented situation.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 14 Mar 2020 14:39

Arizona wrote:Perhaps it appears differently on various devices. On my iPad on travel.saga.co.uk it is clearly at the top of the cruises page. Never thought I would be defending Saga’s admin!!

Must be my ancient laptop.
Anyone who is unaware of the current situation should probably not be allowed to book their own cruise, anyway.

Saga's admin seem to be handling the current situation well, as sounds as if people are being contacted quickly and their choice of refund or voucher being dealt with efficiently.
Upsetting for people who cannot go on holiday, but devastating for people and companies whose living is reliant on people going on holiday.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Camela » 14 Mar 2020 18:04

I think even the younger less vulnerable shouldn't go on cruises, there is a good chance you get confined to your cabin for 14 days. I think all of us Seniors realise we are in a higher risk bracket but the Project Fear that is played endlessly in the media isn't good for morale.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Mar 2020 11:22

Camela wrote:I think even the younger less vulnerable shouldn't go on cruises, there is a good chance you get confined to your cabin for 14 days. I think all of us Seniors realise we are in a higher risk bracket but the Project Fear that is played endlessly in the media isn't good for morale.

Yes, I agree with you on both points, Camela. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby newmember » 15 Mar 2020 20:10

Looks as if both the Sapphire and Discovery are heading for Tilbury Docks (Essex for London), Sapphire due to arrive just before midnight and Discovery sometime tomorrow. Neither have a scheduled departure showing, so maybe they will be staying there for the duration.
I wonder what will happen to the crews on board both ships. I hope they all get home safely.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Elderly people should not go on cruises

Postby ksturman » 15 Mar 2020 21:32

We have just returned today from Sapphire after a 7 day cruise to Ireland. We all had 2 health Checks with no failures. We were refused permission to dock at Cobh but Ringaskiddy across the way was able to have us in the commercial port. Sapphire is now proceeding to Tilbury for the Duration but still hopes to be back for the farewell cruise.
Captain Richard Lambert assured us all that the Crew would be looked after, some will be on leave and some will stay on, all were promised they would return as they will be needed on S of A.
Formerly listed under Namruts
ksturman
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 16 Mar 2020 13:49

On the morning of the 13th Saga cancelled all cruises until May.
Their mailing dept was meanwhile busy sending out promotions (dated 13th, received today) for cruises - including one highlighted in my letter Scandanavian Cities sailing 29th March.
Rather like the times I get a single flyer with a special offer for a cruise I am already booked on.
Wish the mailing dept would talk to the other depts.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Previous