Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga Sapphire farewell cruise

Saga Sapphire farewell cruise

Postby newmember » 16 Apr 2020 20:15

Saga are apparently are in talks with the new owners of the Sapphire to delay the handover so that the farewell cruise can still take place in some shape or form.
Obviously won't depart when scheduled, but be nice if they can manage it- although whether anything will be open to receive her even if she sails this year, I do not know.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Re: Saga Sapphire farewell cruise

Postby hazel20 » 17 Apr 2020 21:58

As I was booked to be Port Speaker on the final voyage and have already prepared all my talks - I do hope she gets to do a final voyage.

I'm sure the itinerary will be different - but would love the chance to say my goodbyes
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2020 - Balmoral - USA in the Fall - a minimal chance
2021 - 2 legs of Spirit of Discovery to South America
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby newmember » 11 Jun 2020 14:05

All mention of the Saga Sapphire has gone from Saga's website. Yesterday evening the travel updates still showing that Saga hoped to run the farewell cruise, now no mention of the Sapphire at all.
According to PLA, she is still in Tilbury.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Camela » 11 Jun 2020 19:02

A lot of old friends will go earlier than planned due to this horrible virus. Although cruise ships are my passion now, my working life was in civil aviation and I'm sure my lovely Boeing 747 will be a rarity in the skies in the future.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Jeffo » 12 Jun 2020 13:58

Just wondering who the new owners of Saga Sapphire are ?
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (5), Braemar (9), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1) Astoria (1)
Jeffo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 12 Jun 2020 14:15

If still the same as stated last year, a company called Anex Tours. Think their parent company is Russian, but the plan was to operate the Sapphire from Turkey. Cruises are a new venture for them, and I think they had good plans for the Sapphire.
She is still in Tilbury at the minute, so I suppose that at some stage the new crew will arrive for an introduction to her before she gets sailed to her new home.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Jeffo » 12 Jun 2020 14:42

Thanks newmember - I've also just found this : Turkish Company Anex Tour Acquires Saga Sapphire Cruise Ship
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (5), Braemar (9), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1) Astoria (1)
Jeffo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 24 Jul 2020 11:54

The Sapphire has now left Tilbury on her way to Gibraltar. She is identified on the various ship tracking websites under her new name, Blue Sapphire.
Let's hope that her new owners manage to make a success of her, maybe we'll get a chance to sail on her again.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant