Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Adventure

Spirit of Adventure

Spirit of Adventure

Postby newmember » 03 May 2020 06:45

Does anyone have any information about the SofA? I have read from various places that the build completion will be delayed (obvious reasons, as Meyer Werft are following guidelines for social distancing, so build progress has slowed all round) but then I read from reports in the financial sector March news that delivery will be "within the next 12 months" which suggests the delay will be a bit longer than a week or so.
Saga last update about her was January, and since then no actual news at all.
Cruises for 2020, including the inaugural cruise, are still being advertised, although I suspect they will not be going ahead quite as scheduled.
Anyone know what is happening?
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Re: Spirit of Adventure

Postby ksturman » 03 May 2020 07:21

The Meyer Weft Web Cam , last updated 29 April, shows work to be still progressing. Its updated approx. every 2 weeks. We are booked on her at the end of September and are still optimistic.
Formerly listed under Namruts
ksturman
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Carwalsick » 03 May 2020 11:25

ksturman wrote:The Meyer Weft Web Cam , last updated 29 April, shows work to be still progressing. Its updated approx. every 2 weeks. We are booked on her at the end of September and are still optimistic.
Saga says it is still optimistic of availability and has some 2 weeks wriggle room. Of course it's one thing having a ship and another having destinations able to accept her and passengers able to travel.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 03 May 2020 12:31

I think it would probably be useful for Saga if the SofA was delayed. I can't see that in August things will be anywhere near normal enough to be able to cruise (we're booked on the inaugural cruise) and I would not really be keen to spend the cruise not being able to disembark and go sight-seeing (even worse if the reported ideas supposedly from P&O become standard practice on cruise lines).
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby newmember » 26 May 2020 08:55

Just received the letter telling us what we already expected - the delivery of the SofA is delayed, so the inaugural cruise will not take place as scheduled.
The German and Dutch press (thanks Google translate) are already saying that there is unlikely to be any more transfers along the Ems in 2020, and the Meyer Werft webcam for 18th May seems to be showing the same picture from February 2020, so the letter was not a great surprise.
We'll stay booked and see when and where the inaugural cruise finally happens.
I'll correct that - we'll stay booked PROVIDING they get the insurance paperwork corrected.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby newmember » 23 Jun 2020 08:56

Saga have told their shareholders (not their customers) that the Adventure may be delivered at the end of October 2020.
Noticed that their website is still selling the 28th September cruise on the Adventure, past experience suggests that they will tell people this is cancelled when the final balances are paid. Could be wrong, but it gets irritating to read how much Saga value their "incredibly loyal customers", but the same "incredibly loyal customers" are always the last to be told what is happening.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Spirit of Adventure

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 Jun 2020 07:57

Oh dear, that's bad form, isn't it! :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Spirit of Adventure

Postby ksturman » 24 Jun 2020 08:10

This is the Quote from the AGM "The sale of the Saga Sapphire was completed on 12 June on terms broadly in line with previous expectations and the latest indication for the Spirit of Adventure is that she will be delivered by the end of October."

Also SAGA magazine P101 States PLEASE NOTE All SAGA cruise after 1 November are still scheduled
Formerly listed under Namruts
ksturman
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 24 Jun 2020 09:49

Just had a quick look, and yes, it does. At the bottom of the page, not very obvious - but can't see it anywhere on the cruise section on the website.
Wonder if the FCO advice against people over 70 or with underlying health conditions should not take cruises will be lifted, whether any ports will be accepting cruise ships, and whether Saga will be in a position to say what facilities will or won't be still available on board.
And whether Saga will start keeping their "incredibly loyal customers" informed along with their shareholders, not leaving us to scrabble around the financial and trade news websites for updates.
Before anyone mentions - yes, I have tried asking directly - it is evident that nobody is allowed to give an answer to anyone who could be either a potential customer who will book a cruise, or an existing customer who may decide to cancel a cruise.
At the minute, quite a few of us feel rather less valued by Saga than Saga say we are. Especially when they still expect final balances to be paid for a ship that will not even be built in time.
Saga are treading perilously close to being accused of lying to their customers.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby newmember » 24 Jun 2020 15:12

Not only is the September cruise still on sale, asking live chat whether the ship will be ready in time gets the response that
QUOTE: As per our website we have only suspended travel till the 1st of September, any holiday/cruise beyond this will be going ahead until we advise otherwise.
AND:
The adventure build was delayed due to COVID 19 however we have not cancelled any cruise beyond the 1st of September.
END 2 quotes.
Which is pretty much what they said when asked about the inaugural cruise.
So I now think that yes, they have crossed the line and are now actively misleading their customers by omission.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Next