Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga included insurance

Saga included insurance

Saga included insurance

Postby Gillzajoker » 28 May 2020 10:11

[quote="judgegeoff"]My wife Chris and I would never go on a cruise or any other overseas holiday if our holiday insurance excluded cover for coronavirus. We have annual holiday insurance and pay extra to cover our existing and ongoing medical problems, which we believe is reasonable.

'Reasonable' depends on the extra amount charged, Geoff. My insurers wanted to charge
me an extra £990 to cover my existing problems, and because - as required - I informed them
of a hospital stay half way through the annual policy, they have said they will not cover me
for ANY medical problem whatsoever for the remaining 6 months, nor give a refund on a
pro-rata basis. :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Saga included insurance

Postby Camela » 28 May 2020 16:43

nm you shouldn't be fobbed off as there must be many in your position who booked ages ago before we knew the C19 word and making the same enquiry to Saga. As Geoff says people just won't travel - cruises or any other holidays if coronavirus is excluded.
Last edited by Camela on 29 May 2020 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Arizona » 28 May 2020 18:48

The question is....will it ever be possible to book any trip at all with coronavirus insurance now? As I understand it, unless the trip was booked before the pandemic AND with insurance taken out before the pandemic, insurers will not cover coronavirus for medical, cancellation or any other reason.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 28 May 2020 20:12

Yes indeed, the real problem is going to be the insurance, especially with several companies specifying exclusions not just for covid-19 but coronavirus disease in general and/or any mutation of. Unless people are willing to travel with extremely limited insurance cover, this is going to bring many overseas bookings to a crashing halt.
Still waiting to hear from Saga why the latest booking confirmation states (twice) that coronavirus is not covered on an insurance that was added to the booking a year ago. Either their paperwork is wrong, or the insurance is only purchased when the final balance is paid. I'll update in dues course.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby newmember » 29 May 2020 08:56

Well, good news. I now have an email confirming that my booking IS covered for Covid-19, and that Saga are currently working on getting corrected documentation.
So it seems as if those who added Saga included insurance to their Saga prior to 3rd April 2020 will be covered for Covid 19.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Arizona » 29 May 2020 09:16

So glad you have finally got that confirmed. However I wonder how many new bookings Saga will attract now that Covid 19 is not covered, especially considering the age profile of their customers? How viable will the cruising arm of the company be in these circumstances, if the only passengers aboard are those who booked before the cut off date and who took the Saga insurance (plus of course the foolhardy)? Their only hope is that the virus will fade from circulation and/or a vaccine works......but that is sometime away.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 29 May 2020 09:23

It will all be totally academic until the FCO advice changes, as travelling against FCO advice is not covered anyway.
Despite all the gung-ho statements coming from various lines and agents, I cannot see any cruises setting sail this year. And if they do, I won't be on them.
Still, I am very pleased to discover that the problem was caused by Saga's useless IT systems rather than by anything sneaky.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 May 2020 11:00

newmember wrote:It will all be totally academic until the FCO advice changes, as travelling against FCO advice is not covered anyway.
Despite all the gung-ho statements coming from various lines and agents, I cannot see any cruises setting sail this year. And if they do, I won't be on them.
Still, I am very pleased to discover that the problem was caused by Saga's useless IT systems rather than by anything sneaky.

Yes, at least something positive has come out of it! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Saga included insurance

Postby judgegeoff » 29 May 2020 12:46

I cannot imagine anybody with any common sense travelling abroad unless they are covered for COVID-19 by insurance. Imagine if you were taken ill with the virus in, say, the USA, and being in ICU for a considerable period. The cost would be huge! Very few people would take the risk. I believe that the insurance companies, including Saga, will have to give cover for COVID-19, although I expect policy costs to rise significantly to cover the risk.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Saga included insurance

Postby newmember » 29 May 2020 15:39

judgegeoff wrote:I cannot imagine anybody with any common sense travelling abroad unless they are covered for COVID-19 by insurance. Imagine if you were taken ill with the virus in, say, the USA, and being in ICU for a considerable period. The cost would be huge! Very few people would take the risk. I believe that the insurance companies, including Saga, will have to give cover for COVID-19, although I expect policy costs to rise significantly to cover the risk.

I personally think that the whole idea of the 14-day quarantine starting next week is to try and stop a rush of people travelling outside their own country.
Nobody yet knows how this virus will behave, whether there will be another huge surge in cases.
It has been reported (BBC news) that WHO are warning countries to be prepared to rapidly return to lockdown, and the last thing that anyone should want is a load of tourists stranded abroad again.
Next year will be early enough to think about crossing borders - let's see how we get through the winter first, then the insurance issue may improve as well so we can all start to think about cruises again.
Maybe all the cruise lines will just sail round and round in their home port waters....
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

PreviousNext