Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Changing station on Cross country trains.

Changing station on Cross country trains.

Changing station on Cross country trains.

Postby octocruiser » 14 Dec 2015 23:13

I wonder if anyone has experience of this.

We have tickets (standard advance) from Durham to Cheltenham on 30th Jan.

My son has suggested we end our journey at Tamworth where he will pick us up to spend a few days with them instead of coming home.

This is a station on the same route and no other change to the ticket is required, just getting off about two thirds of the way back.

From information I can find online it appears that this is not permitted and I would have to cancel the existing tickets and buy new ones - currently £59.70 plus £10 pp admin.

Apparently I can change the date and time ( for a fee) but it is not permitted to cut the journey short. :roll:

I will ring and try to clarify this in the morning but the office is closed now and I wonder if anyone else has come across this. ?
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Changing station on Cross country trains.

Postby tomvet » 14 Dec 2015 23:18

Who will notice if you get off the train a few stops earlier? or for that matter even care?
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Hannah » 14 Dec 2015 23:33

I don't know the ins and outs but vaguely heard of this before. I don't think you can get off before the designated end of journey. There is some sort of penalty. Bizarre I know. Sorry can't be more specific.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 14 Dec 2015 23:35

tomvet wrote:Who will notice if you get off the train a few stops earlier? or for that matter even care?

You may well ask! :roll: My first thought was simply to hop off but most stations these days have barriers and I have read that if you present a ticket for a different stop you can be fined / made to pay the ticket price for the 'different ' journey.

If that is the case I would buy the new tickets now while they are discounted rather than take a chance and have to pay double the amount on the day.

It does appear that this is a printed regulation if I am reading the site correctly. Regulations are regulations if you happen to come up against a Jobsworth :?

It does seem ridiculous that if I wanted to travel a few stops past home I could just buy extra tickets to cover that journey, but hop off a few stops early ???? :o Shock Horror, seems it can't be done :roll:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby hazel20 » 14 Dec 2015 23:40

Does your son know if there is a barrier at Tamworth. I think very few small stations have them in this part of the world (I'm in Cheshire so not too far away)

I can't see the problem in getting off too soon. Obviously you will still need a new tickets for the final home run
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Saga Pearl II - Christmas 2017
Balmoral - South America Jan-Mar 2018
Black Watch - May
Balmoral - September
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Peka » 14 Dec 2015 23:47

If it is along the same trainline, it shouldn't matter if you get off a few stops early, they get their money :roll: . It is probably some thing to stop you spliting tickets if it is a bit cheaper.

If there are barriers get them to open the gate for you (I am sure you are carrying luggage) so just flash a valid ticket instead of it going through the machine
Peka

No cruises booked :(
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby tomvet » 14 Dec 2015 23:54

I'd take me chance. Is there anything to say that you can't alight in Tamworth and continue home on the same day?

I'd just act the very helpless, little, old lady! Could you manage that? ;) ;)
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby octocruiser » 14 Dec 2015 23:55

hazel20 wrote:Does your son know if there is a barrier at Tamworth. I think very few small stations have them in this part of the world (I'm in Cheshire so not too far away)

I can't see the problem in getting off too soon. Obviously you will still need a new tickets for the final home run

My son doesn't even know where the railway station in Tamworth is ;) He will obviously find it to pick us up, but has no experience of rail travel. It just happens to be the nearest one to where he lives in Leicestershire.

I did check the facilities at Tamworth station , Peka and it says 'Ticket gate: NO. I assume this means that you have to go through the automatic barriers even with luggage unless there are none at all.

I know you could not put the wrong ticket through a machine but If there are no barriers I assume the station would be manned - possibly by a Jobsworth. :o

The journey home from there is no problem. My son will bring us back by road.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 15 Dec 2015 00:00

tomvet wrote:I'd take me chance. Is there anything to say that you can't alight in Tamworth and continue home on the same day?

Don't need to act it,Tom :roll: By the time I have got myself and luggage and OH off the train I can manage real tears , histrionics or bewildered octogenarian at the drop of a hat.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Peka » 15 Dec 2015 00:07

My son doesn't even know where the railway station in Tamworth is ;) He will obviously find it to pick us up, but has no experience of rail travel. It just happens to be the nearest one to where he lives in Leicestershire.

I did check the facilities at Tamworth station , Peka and it says 'Ticket gate: NO. I assume this means that you have to go through the automatic barriers even with luggage unless there are none at all.

I know you could not put the wrong ticket through a machine but If there are no barriers I assume the station would be manned - possibly by a Jobsworth. :o

The journey home from there is no problem. My son will bring us back by road.

I am guessing that there are no barriers then as it says it is a fully accessible station.
octocruiser wrote:
tomvet wrote:I'd take me chance. Is there anything to say that you can't alight in Tamworth and continue home on the same day?

Don't need to act it,Tom :roll: By the time I have got myself and luggage and OH off the train I can manage real tears , histrionics or bewildered octogenarian at the drop of a hat.

Well in that case, if anyone asks you just say my son is picking us now
Peka

No cruises booked :(
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Next