Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Changing station on Cross country trains.

Changing station on Cross country trains.

Re: Changing station on Cross country trains.

Postby tomvet » 15 Dec 2015 00:32

octocruiser wrote:
hazel20 wrote:Does your son know if there is a barrier at Tamworth. I think very few small stations have them in this part of the world (I'm in Cheshire so not too far away)

I can't see the problem in getting off too soon. Obviously you will still need a new tickets for the final home run

My son doesn't even know where the railway station in Tamworth is ;) He will obviously find it to pick us up, but has no experience of rail travel. It just happens to be the nearest one to where he lives in Leicestershire.

I did check the facilities at Tamworth station , Peka and it says 'Ticket gate: NO. I assume this means that you have to go through the automatic barriers even with luggage unless there are none at all.

I know you could not put the wrong ticket through a machine but If there are no barriers I assume the station would be manned - possibly by a Jobsworth. :o

The journey home from there is no problem. My son will bring us back by road.

How about buying a ticket from the station before Tamworth to Tamworth and using that to get out the station!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby octocruiser » 15 Dec 2015 05:29

tomvet wrote:
octocruiser wrote:
hazel20 wrote:Does your son know if there is a barrier at Tamworth. I think very few small stations have them in this part of the world (I'm in Cheshire so not too far away)

I can't see the problem in getting off too soon. Obviously you will still need a new tickets for the final home run

My son doesn't even know where the railway station in Tamworth is ;) He will obviously find it to pick us up, but has no experience of rail travel. It just happens to be the nearest one to where he lives in Leicestershire.

I did check the facilities at Tamworth station , Peka and it says 'Ticket gate: NO. I assume this means that you have to go through the automatic barriers even with luggage unless there are none at all.

I know you could not put the wrong ticket through a machine but If there are no barriers I assume the station would be manned - possibly by a Jobsworth. :o

The journey home from there is no problem. My son will bring us back by road.

How about buying a ticket from the station before Tamworth to Tamworth and using that to get out the station!

By golly, Tom ! I wouldn't have thought of that :!: I should have known that a devious mind would come up with a solution :D

Checked the cost and it is £10.80 , so only a fraction of the other options I mentioned. !

Whether it is 'legal' ?? I don't think that really comes into it . It should be illegal for a train company to make such pointless rules in the first place.

Thanks.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Meg50 » 15 Dec 2015 08:27

sorry, spanner time:

make sure the train actually stops at 'the stop before Tamworth' or the jobsworth will have a field day
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 15 Dec 2015 08:51

If it were me Kath, I would take the chance and play the 'old lady' card who's hubby is feeling unwell and so the son is rescuing you.

I could do the tears as well if it became necessary. ;)

I have a feeling though that the rules you mention are more of a deterrent than anything. Would they really enforce a penalty on two senior citizens who didn't know any better? ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 15 Dec 2015 09:42

Meg50 wrote:sorry, spanner time:

make sure the train actually stops at 'the stop before Tamworth' or the jobsworth will have a field day

Yes, I've done that and it does ! Thanks !

But of course, it is still illegal because according to these crazy rules we have committed an offence by not alighting at the station for which the original tickets were bought. :roll: :roll:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 15 Dec 2015 09:58

JollyJill wrote:If it were me Kath, I would take the chance and play the 'old lady' card who's hubby is feeling unwell and so the son is rescuing you.

I could do the tears as well if it became necessary. ;)

I have a feeling though that the rules you mention are more of a deterrent than anything. Would they really enforce a penalty on two senior citizens who didn't know any better? ;)

Well one way or another we are leaving the train at Tamworth. I have just spent 10 minutes 'discussing ' this with a very charming young gentleman probably from the Indian continent . He also referred my query to his supervisor , so they well and truly have my name and number . :o I am sure we shall see the Railway Police assembling at Tamworth on the way up.

They are both adamant that you must not alight from a train before you arrive at the station it is booked for or a severe penalty 'may ' be incurred :roll: You must remain on the train until the designated station.

I tried to point out that it will not cost the company extra, etc. , but RULES IS RULES ;)

He strongly advises me to stay on the train . :roll: Alternatively I can buy new tickets from Durham to Tamworth , and he was very keen to help me with this.

I declined because if I decide to buy those anyway it would be better to do it at the station and have them in my hand.

Oh the joys of travel :? . Where are Saga when I need them ? :roll:

Well, one of them doesn't know any better and couldn't give a monkey's - I decline to say which one :D
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Peka » 15 Dec 2015 10:13

Then I'm a criminal! :mrgreen:

I have never gone beyond the station the ticket is before, but one or two stops and once not used a booked ticket :( as a change happened and I no longer needed the journey... so I guess in theory I could have been fined for not using it as I had booked a specific seat and that would then be empty :think:

There are many, many topics on this on the rail forums...

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48470
Peka

No cruises booked :(
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby octocruiser » 15 Dec 2015 10:47

Peka wrote:Then I'm a criminal! :mrgreen:

I have never gone beyond the station the ticket is before, but one or two stops and once not used a booked ticket :( as a change happened and I no longer needed the journey... so I guess in theory I could have been fined for not using it as I had booked a specific seat and that would then be empty :think:

There are many, many topics on this on the rail forums...

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48470

Thanks Peka , interesting reading but a bit out of date -2011- You would have thought someone up there would have seen sense by now. :roll:

I see someone does mention the alternative of a single stop ticket that Tom suggested . He says as far as he can see from previous postings there is nothing in the T&C's to cover that .

I suppose that is about as reliable as saying he read it in the DM ;)
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Mungo » 15 Dec 2015 10:57

Strange how if a route is changed or cancelled etc then you can still use a ticket despite it saying via wherever. Last time I went to London I didn't do the last part of the journey (just 2 stops) as it was by bus, instead my son collected me. Seems I have committed a wrong doing! :lol:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Peka » 15 Dec 2015 11:15

Thanks Peka , interesting reading but a bit out of date -2011- You would have thought someone up there would have seen sense by now

I know :oops: but I thought that fitted your situation best, there are plenty more postings all range of dates, definitely a long standing problem!
Peka

No cruises booked :(
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

PreviousNext