Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Changing station on Cross country trains.

Changing station on Cross country trains.

Postby JollyJill » 15 Dec 2015 11:30

I asked the Oracle/Anorak of Public Transport (Plunky) what he thought.

He says that he would do as I suggested and plead ignorance should anyone challenge you.

It's unlikely that they would fine you and if they did, it wouldn't be cost effective to chase you for it if you didn't pay up.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 15 Dec 2015 13:06

JollyJill wrote:I asked the Oracle/Anorak of Public Transport (Plunky) what he thought.

He says that he would do as I suggested and plead ignorance should anyone challenge you.

It's unlikely that they would fine you and if they did, it wouldn't be cost effective to chase you for it if you didn't pay up.

That's very helpful, Jill . Will you please pass on my appreciation to the oracle ? ;)
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 15 Dec 2015 13:40

Plunky says you are welcome Kath.

It's helpful living with an anorak at times. :lol: :lol:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Changing station on Cross country trains.

Postby keith6400 » 15 Dec 2015 15:13

If you are basically terminating your journey at Tamworth and do not intend to use your original tickets for any further travel you can do as Tom has suggested and buy additional tickets permitting travel from the previous station. As has been suggested "make sure your train actually stops at the previous station" this is true if you are going to be assuming the persona of someone who has done a shorter journey on that train. Actually you only need to adopt the persona of someone who has arrived in Tamworth on a train and any local commuter ticket from a mile up the line will do as nobody will know which train you alighted from. Have a cuppa tea in the buffet before leaving the station after a few trains have come and gone.

Regards Keith
keith6400
Commander
Commander

Postby Meg50 » 15 Dec 2015 17:13

keith6400 wrote:...... Have a cuppa tea in the buffet before leaving the station after a few trains have come and gone.

Regards Keith

like it!
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 15 Dec 2015 22:23

keith6400 wrote:If you are basically terminating your journey at Tamworth and do not intend to use your original tickets for any further travel you can do as Tom has suggested and buy additional tickets permitting travel from the previous station. As has been suggested "make sure your train actually stops at the previous station" this is true if you are going to be assuming the persona of someone who has done a shorter journey on that train. Actually you only need to adopt the persona of someone who has arrived in Tamworth on a train and any local commuter ticket from a mile up the line will do as nobody will know which train you alighted from. Have a cuppa tea in the buffet before leaving the station after a few trains have come and gone.

Regards Keith

That indeed gives you a ticket that should get you off the station, even with auto barriers.

But it is still technically breaking the rules because you will have used the original ticket for a journey that does not conform to the regulation that the ticket must be used exactly as purchased . Indeed it is more likely to be seen as deliberate evasion than playing the bewildered old lady would be.

Crazy :roll: :roll:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 15 Dec 2015 22:34

But it is still technically breaking the rules because you will have used the original ticket for a journey that does not conform to the regulation that the ticket must be used exactly as purchased . Indeed it is more likely to be seen as deliberate evasion than playing the bewildered old lady would be.

Go for the bewildered old lady act then Kath. Then have a cuppa afterwards. :lol: :lol:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 16 Dec 2015 00:05

JollyJill wrote:

Go for the bewildered old lady act then Kath. Then have a cuppa afterwards. :lol: :lol:

with a little damsel in distress thrown in! If your approached, start wheezing and puffing like a grampus - take out your pepper spray and pretend it is your angina medication! ;)
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Peka » 01 Feb 2016 16:57

Soooooo did you get away with the crime???! :lol: I've been wondering all weekend, but the fact you've posted is a good thing, obviously not locked up!
Peka

No cruises booked :(
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby octocruiser » 01 Feb 2016 21:15

Peka wrote:Soooooo did you get away with the crime???! :lol: I've been wondering all weekend, but the fact you've posted is a good thing, obviously not locked up!

What me ? Commit a crime ? :o

No, I got chickenitis and bought the tickets in advance for the journey to Tamworth at the best price I could get then, which was rather more than I had paid for the journey to Cheltenham when I had bought the first tickets. :?

I did not as had been advised cancel the previous tickets just in case. This meant that we had two sets of tickets and 2 sets of seats reserved for the same train with assistance reserved for both as well. On arrival at Durham station I went to the kiosk to report to 'Assistance' . The poor man looked at his list and asked ' Are you the Mr and Mrs P going to Tamworth or the Mr and Mrs P going to Cheltenham? '

I said 'We're both of them'

This was actually a relief to him as they were short staffed and he would have had to do both had our doubles turned up ;)

In tne event the train was running late and when we were approaching Tamworth in pouring rain the ticket collector came along and said he would get our luggage off in case the station staff weren't there. They wanted to sling us off as quickly as possible so as to try to make up time. The station staff were there, as well as my son so in the hustle of getting us bundled off nobody was remotely interested in whether we had the right tickets or even any tickets at all :roll:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext