Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Ireland by luxury train anyone?

Ireland by luxury train anyone?

Postby adogap » 28 Feb 2016 21:25

A luxury sleeper train similar to the Orient Express and Royal Scotsman is to commence itineraries from Dublin throughout the rail network in Ireland north and south. Not for the budget conscious though, 7 days / 6 nights will cost around £5500 :shock:
http://www.belmond.com/grand-hibernian-train/ireland-by-train

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 28 Feb 2016 21:49

adogap wrote:A luxury sleeper train similar to the Orient Express and Royal Scotsman is to commence itineraries from Dublin throughout the rail network in Ireland north and south. Not for the budget conscious though, 7 days / 6 nights will cost around £5500 :shock:
http://www.belmond.com/grand-hibernian-train/ireland-by-train

Chris

Thanks for this Chris. It would make a great family holiday! :o though I am very disappointed - 2016 dates seem to be all sold out! Holding out for a cancellation! :roll:
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Ireland by luxury train anyone?

Postby Hannah » 28 Feb 2016 23:59

Eye watering prices but bet it is gorgeous though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 29 Feb 2016 06:54

We would love to do a luxury train journey around Ireland but not at that price. :shock:

We are strictly steerage folk. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Feb 2016 14:45

And me, Jill - I'd want to BUY Ireland for that price!!! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 29 Feb 2016 15:24

Gillzajoker wrote:And me, Jill - I'd want to BUY Ireland for that price!!! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I'm sure it will be a lovely luxury trip but the price will put most ordinary tourists off. Although perhaps some Americans or Canadians with Irish roots a few generations back will see things differently from us. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby keith6400 » 29 Feb 2016 17:00

I travelled on the Indian Pacific a few years back and this antipodean service is exceptionally cheap by comparison to the abovementioned trip. Adelaide to Perth these days is around £700 to £900pp for the three day journey. If you can get to Australia and Princess do nice Australian cruises so you can get a reasonably priced holiday booked plus the airfare.

Regards Keith
keith6400
Commander
Commander

Postby khkate » 29 Feb 2016 17:37

We have done a couple of day trips by train which were operated by Belmond. Expensive but definitely 6-star service.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby tomvet » 29 Feb 2016 19:34

Gillzajoker wrote:And me, Jill - I'd want to BUY Ireland for that price!!! :lol:

... Jesus wept!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 29 Feb 2016 19:49

keith6400 wrote:I travelled on the Indian Pacific a few years back and this antipodean service is exceptionally cheap by comparison to the abovementioned trip. Adelaide to Perth these days is around £700 to £900pp for the three day journey. If you can get to Australia and Princess do nice Australian cruises so you can get a reasonably priced holiday booked plus the airfare.

Regards Keith

Back in 2009 during a world cruise, our table mates did the Adelaide to Perth train journey - it was available as an excursion (probably the most expensive excursion that FO has ever offered). It was nice for us because, pleasant as they were, we'd been dining with that same couple on a table for four for many weeks and we really enjoyed the break. Anyway, the transcontinental train ride cost them a lot of money and they thought it was incredibly boring!
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next