Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Rail Cruising

Rail Cruising

Rail crash

Postby Borneo » 26 Jul 2013 13:45

SandraDJ wrote:
Myklebust wrote:As a rail fan , I have to say how terrible the news of the Spanish rail crash is. I expect we will soon know the cause. Personally I find it very difficult to imagine that the train at, that point was under the controlof the driver, double the speed for that point on the track !I do hope that it comes out that it was a dreadful mechanical failiure and not driver error, not that either way it is any consulation for the families and friends of the dead and injured.

From the reports coming out, it does look like driver 'error'. It appears that he had boasted on Facebook that he like to break the speed limit .....

Oh dear that's awfull . All those lives lost for no reason
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Rail Cruising

Postby khkate » 26 Jul 2013 19:21

From what I gather on the news - the driver actually rung Control a few minutes before the crash to advise them of his speed - 120kph - when he should have been doing 50kph. One wonders if that was because he was boasting that he had attained such a high speed or was it because he was indicating a problem with getting the train to slow down.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Rail Cruising

Postby avidcruiser » 26 Jul 2013 22:56

I read, but that means very little as far as fact is concerned, that he contacted rail control, to say that he was going to derail, just before the incident. Unfortunately he did.

My thoughts are with the families of the dead and those still critical in hospital.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Re: Rail Cruising

Postby jocap » 27 Jul 2013 21:17

It's ghastly news.....I think it was St James' Day, when pilgrims would be going to that amazing town. All the celebrations were cancelled.
Peace be on them all, alive or dead.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous