Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Zambezi Express

Zambezi Express

Zambezi Express

Postby khkate » 11 May 2013 11:59

About 20 years ago, my husband and I did a holiday outr to Zimbabwe to visit some of my family. Whilst we were out there, we organised may trips and one of the best ones for us was the Zambezi Express. This was catching a steam-hauled train (Garrett locos) from Bulawayo to Victoria Falls via Hwange.

The trip took two whole daysleaving Bulawayo late morning, You arrived at Hwange (where the main game park ofthe country is) late afternoon. Then you would get a game drive and then back to the train. The train moved into sidings so you could enjoy a 5-course dinner without too much rocking and rolling and watch the sun set, and maybe a few more wild animals wander by too - we saw some giraffe and elephant grazing close by. Then after dinner had ben served, and as you prepared for bed, the train then set off again.

It was very luxurious - not on the same scale as the Blue Train though with beds and washing facilities etc in your "cabin". Some of the more luxurious suites did have a bath on board. The trip we were on, there was a Dutch TV crew on board, so there was frequent stops for photostops - which the passengers could also take advantage of. We arrived at Victoria Falls in the afternoon. As we had the TV crew on board, they actually drive the train up to and onto the rail bridge overlooking the Falls. Due to the border with Zambia being officially closed, they couldn't go more than halfway across, but they still managed to get most of the train on the bridge. We were able to get out and look down at the Falls and take some photos - as long as we didn't walk over the white line that served as the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. Border guards were keeping a close eye on us all.

Then, we all reboarded the train and reversed back into the station to leave the train and go to our booked hotels. We stayed int he Victoria Falls Hotel, which overlooks the Falls and is also within earshot of the great roar of the water. As a final highlight to that trip, we did a "Flight of Angels" - a flight in a light airraft over the Falls - more shots and absolutely wonderful.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zambezi Express

Postby CGBOWLER » 11 May 2013 15:25

Thank you both for these interesting accounts. They make fascinating reading.
I would have enjoyed such trips when I was younger but the thought of how many trains I might have missed raises my blood pressure just thinking about it nowadays. :o
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Zambezi Express

Postby Myklebust » 11 May 2013 22:19

Dont worry i was doing the same thing, I bet i looked at the destination boards dozens of times to see that I had got the times right and hadnt missed my train
Myklebust
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zambezi Express

Postby grannyM » 12 May 2013 11:56

Myklebust,we thought your 2012 Train review deserved a topic of it's own in this section of the forum so it has been split with this topic of khkate's and is now here.
Myklebust's 2012 Trip

I hope that's ok with you. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Zambezi Express

Postby bobbyoscar » 12 May 2013 13:39

Thank you so much for posting this review; it makes you realise just what a variety of travel opportunities there are available.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Return to Rail