Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - British Railways

British Railways

Re: British Railways

Postby JollyJill » 29 Dec 2013 18:51

Camela wrote:I heard on the radio yesterday that trains from Banbury and Oxford to Winchester were being operated by buses. I'd lose the will and not travel those sort of distances on a bus. We like Italian trains, used them many times, fares reasonable and they run to time. Eldest son is going to Bari for a wedding in the summer so I suggested the train from Rome or Naples. No way,apparently he'd rather brave Ryanair or Alitalia via Rome or Milan.

I think the Italian trains are great. I wonder what we should learn from them. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 29 Dec 2013 18:57

JollyJill wrote:
Camela wrote:I heard on the radio yesterday that trains from Banbury and Oxford to Winchester were being operated by buses. I'd lose the will and not travel those sort of distances on a bus. We like Italian trains, used them many times, fares reasonable and they run to time. Eldest son is going to Bari for a wedding in the summer so I suggested the train from Rome or Naples. No way,apparently he'd rather brave Ryanair or Alitalia via Rome or Milan.

I think the Italian trains are great. I wonder what we should learn from them. ;)

What have the Romans done for us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

British Railways

Postby Barry » 29 Dec 2013 19:03

Dropped son and fiance off at station earlier, the arrivals/departure board showed all 6 trains on time :shock:
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JollyJill » 29 Dec 2013 19:12

tomvet wrote:
JollyJill wrote:

What have the Romans done for us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh No! I hate Monty Python. Plunky loves it. :roll:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 29 Dec 2013 19:14

JollyJill wrote:

I am not a big fan either but OH thinks its fab!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 29 Dec 2013 19:23

tomvet wrote:
JollyJill wrote:

I am not a big fan either but OH thinks its fab!

I always thought that Monty Python appeals to a a male sense of humour. That said, I did take Plunky to see 'Spam Alot' on stage in London and thoroughly enjoyed it too.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 29 Dec 2013 19:27

tomvet wrote:What have the Romans done for us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

What have the Romans done for us? I'll tell you :-

According to Kent County Council, less than a year ago, the reason that we have so many potholes on our 'A' roads is due to the poor foundations that the Romans laid down when building roads in Britain.

Not only that, but the French are also not blameless, as the cement mixture that they sold us to fill the potholes is too hard and is soon cracking up.

I couldn't believe it when I read the above in the 'Daily Mail'! And it wasn't the 1st of April. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Toongirl » 29 Dec 2013 19:35

Our trains here in the northeast are generally pretty efficient. The local metro even more so. However, my brother in law, who lives in Kent, made two attempts to visit us for Christmas but couldn't make it because the south east trains were so badly disrupted. poor thing had to rush out and buy some food from the local shop because he couldn't even get his car out of the flooded street!
His weather was much worse than ours. We had a storm but not the horrendous weather people in other parts of the UK experienced. In fact, we've had some lovely sunny, crisp days over the holidays.
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous