Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Booking rail tickets

Booking rail tickets

Booking rail tickets

Postby octocruiser » 31 Jul 2014 08:08

Barry wrote:We have recently got a 'Two together' railcard, for £27, two trips to Edinburgh has got back the railcard price plus further savings of about £15 :!:
Found the best deal by comparing various sites, but Trainline was cheapest and collected tickets as we were passing the station. Very easy and surprisingly cheap, even left the car at the station for £2 for the full day, looking forwards to our next trip on Saturday back to Edinburgh to see the 'kids' and the fringe ;)

The Two Together card normally £30 but had 10% off offer ;)

So the 2 together covers 2 for the price of one? So presumably can only be used if you travel together ? We have to buy a senior one each, normally at £20 each, but we get them with Tesco vouchers which might otherwise go unused, so effectively they are free, so we are saving one third on every journey.

I had a quick look and it appears that there is an age limit on the 2 together and we are too old for them anyway. :o :roll:

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Booking rail tickets

Postby Gillzajoker » 31 Jul 2014 14:15

That'll cheer Tom up, Kath! He hates us 'oldies' getting perks!:)
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Gillzajoker » 31 Jul 2014 14:16

That'll cheer Tom up, Kath! He hates us 'oldies' getting perks!:)
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Booking rail tickets

Postby Barry » 31 Jul 2014 15:52

The 'Two Together' card gives both of you discount on the fare and you must travel together, as always the further in advance you book the bigger the discount.
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Postby khkate » 31 Jul 2014 15:57

octocruiser wrote: What is a 2 for 1 card ? We got our latest railcards about 3 months ago using Tesco vouchers and only had to part with £30 worth of vouchers for the two.

My error - the new card is called "Two Together" railcard (as Barry mentions in his post).

I looked at the T&C's, doesn't specify a maximum age limit, only a minimum age limit - 16 years old. It is for two named people, who must always travel together and must be in possession of a "Two Together" photocard, which must be carried with the railcards if the railcards do not incorporate a photo on them.

The cost for the railcard is £30 per year and the two named people must travel together to get the discounts - 1/3 off standards rail fares and travel is only available after 0930 Mon - Fri. Thus if you are always travelling with the same person, it would prove cheaper to buy one railcard for both of you, rather than one each as has always been the case in the past. .

I think this railcard was only brought out in March/April this year - it wasn't available when I bought my Network railcard in February.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby octocruiser » 31 Jul 2014 18:37

Gillzajoker wrote:That'll cheer Tom up, Kath! He hates us 'oldies' getting perks!:)

Yes, i did wonder about the sensitivity of posting about our Senior Perks, but since it seems that the world and his wife is entitled to some sort of Rail ticket perk , including families, I thought I was on safe ground ;)

But did you have to rub it in by duplicating your post :lol: ?

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Booking rail tickets

Postby octocruiser » 31 Jul 2014 19:02

I looked at the T&C's, doesn't specify a maximum age limit, only a minimum age limit - 16 years old. It is for two named people, who must always travel together and must be in possession of a "Two Together" photocard, which must be carried with the railcards if the railcards do not incorporate a photo on them.

The cost for the railcard is £30 per year and the two named people must travel together to get the discounts - 1/3 off standards rail fares and travel is only available after 0930 Mon - Fri. Thus if you are always travelling with the same person, it would prove cheaper to buy one railcard for both of you, rather than one each as has always been the case in the past. .

You are quite right, Lesley. Had another look last night and I was wrong about the upper age limit.

....and it is the same price as each of our two Senior railcards - I'm not sure if it was available on Tesco vouchers when I got our rail cards earlier this year - if it was I missed a trick there. :roll:, I'll have to check it's still there next year. Bit of a faff to have to provide photos, but I suppose they would be open to abuse otherwise .

I don't suppose I am likely to travel with anyone other than Himself , no toy boy to go jaunting with :lol:

I don't suppose you would be able to travel solo with it should one not be going? Although if the occasion arose you could still get another solo card .?
I apply online to Clubcard, you print off the voucher and then apply on line for the railcards which come by return, and you don't have to enter the card number when you buy your tickets on line . The last time our cards were due to expire the day before our return trip, so I bought the tickets anyway and then applied for the card renewal and as we had had them before they automatically ran to consecutive dates, so didn't have an overlap.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Aug 2014 15:05

octocruiser wrote:
Gillzajoker wrote:That'll cheer Tom up, Kath! He hates us 'oldies' getting perks!:)

Yes, i did wonder about the sensitivity of posting about our Senior Perks, but since it seems that the world and his wife is entitled to some sort of Rail ticket perk , including families, I thought I was on safe ground ;)

But did you have to rub it in by duplicating your post :lol: ?

Cheers Kath

Don't know how that happened Kath, but then, I AM old :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Camela » 02 Aug 2014 22:36

The 2 for 1 railcard doesn't work for me as I do most rail travel on my own to meet friends and I too use Tesco vouchers to buy it. This has to be managed this year as I am seriously avoiding Tesco where possible but if necessary will do an online wine order to make sure I have the points before renewal!! Mr P prefers to drive if we are going out together and for London we have 2 very good services from Oxford and get senior rates
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Previous