Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - No more quiet coach.

No more quiet coach.

No more quiet coach.

Postby octocruiser » 03 Sep 2014 11:31

We're now on Cross country train heading for Durham. The train was 30 mins late departing, although I would say that is not the norm for our travel experience. Just about to pull into Birmingham.

One of our reserved seats was already occupied but that was quickly resolved without discord.

When we booked a few weeks ago this was designated as the quiet coach, but I had read that Cross country had changed their policy as it was too difficult for staff to monitor abuse of the courtesy.

The sign now reads

We want everyone to have a great journey, so please consider others around you.

At this time of day the coach is only half occupied with the usual conversation going on but when we have travelled later in the day, especially at weekends it has often been full to capacity and the Quiet sign has often been ignored .

Another 3 + hours to go . :roll:

Hmmm! Just filled up at Birmingham , several men seem to be in a group, but quiet so far.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

No more quiet coach.

Postby Borneo » 03 Dec 2014 14:02

We were lucky enough to have a first class rail ticket with Virgin to London . When we embarked in Birmingham first class carriage was full just managed to get a seat. They were even standing !! The ticket collector came and said all those without first class ticket will you please go to the next coach ! One or two moved! He said again you have to go to the other carriage if your not first class , and I will know who you are as not this many people have a first ticket! And this train isn't moving until you've all gone ! There were about six left in the carriage :lol:
Have a good rest of the journey Kath . Have a good break also
Julia
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

No more quiet coach.

Postby dst87 » 03 Dec 2014 15:38

Borneo wrote:We were lucky enough to have a first class rail ticket with Virgin to London . When we embarked in Birmingham first class carriage was full just managed to get a seat. They were even standing !! The ticket collector came and said all those without first class ticket will you please go to the next coach ! One or two moved! He said again you have to go to the other carriage if your not first class , and I will know who you are as not this many people have a first ticket! And this train isn't moving until you've all gone ! There were about six left in the carriage :lol:
Julia

I hate chancers like that. When I pay for a first class ticket, I do so to enjoy the extra benefits that such a ticket affords - typically more room, better service, and a quieter carriage (typically without children).

When people flaunt that because 'the coach is empty so nobody will care anyway' it ruins it for everyone. I'm glad your ticket collector laid down the law!

Incidentally first class tickets booked at the right time are often not much more expensive than a standard class ticket, and worth every penny IMO.

Quiet coach rules are also annoying when broken, though as different people have a different idea of what 'quiet' is, I can imagine it being a difficult rule to police.

By my reckoning you must almost be there now Kath - I hope you have had a pleasant journey!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

No more quiet coach.

Postby grannyM » 03 Dec 2014 15:43

dst87 wrote:By my reckoning you must almost be there now Kath - I hope you have had a pleasant journey!

Let's hope so Duncan. Kath's original post was on 3rd September. ;) :lol:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

No more quiet coach.

Postby Borneo » 03 Dec 2014 17:02

OMG that was ME, just saw the 3rd . Sorry everyone , and well spotted . :oops: :oops:
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

No more quiet coach.

Postby grannyM » 03 Dec 2014 17:57

Borneo wrote:OMG that was ME, just saw the 3rd . Sorry everyone , and well spotted . :oops: :oops:

That's ok Julia, it's easy done. I was just thinking I'd read Kath posting something like this before. :lol: :lol:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

No more quiet coach.

Postby octocruiser » 03 Dec 2014 18:51

Borneo wrote:We were lucky enough to have a first class rail ticket with Virgin to London . When we embarked in Birmingham first class carriage was full just managed to get a seat. They were even standing !! The ticket collector came and said all those without first class ticket will you please go to the next coach ! One or two moved! He said again you have to go to the other carriage if your not first class , and I will know who you are as not this many people have a first ticket! And this train isn't moving until you've all gone ! There were about six left in the carriage :lol:
Julia

Did you not book your seat when you bought your ticket, Julia. Or was it part of a package where you didn't buy tbe tickets sperately.? Either Way you can ring the train operator or go on line and book specific seats.

Most recently we have booked by phone direct with Cross country because that way you speak to an agent who actually has a seat chart and can confirm immediately which seats are available. If you do it on line or with another agent you can only state your preference and wait and see what comes. They do not seem to hold the seat charts.
We have reservation tickets for table seats both ways on our Christmas journies. They were bought weeks ago at the cheapest rate using railcards but we shall still pip thosecwho have bought later and paid considerably more but with far less choice of seats.

However, there are now definitely no quiet coaches. Tbey have been discontinued.

Off to Cornwall on Dec 23rd using tbose tickets.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

No more quiet coach.

Postby Borneo » 03 Dec 2014 19:23

Kath you won't believe this but we had the tickets given us . Haven't been on a train ever before (though hubby has but many years ago) . Some one was sat in our seats and just gave us one of those stares . I gave them a lovely smile when they had to get up and go . The rest of the journey and return were fine .
I have an excuse for not replying to this in September. I was on that wonderful cruise around the Baltic's .
Glad your back home safe means we can see you in January :D
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

No more quiet coach.

Postby tomvet » 03 Dec 2014 20:48

grannyM wrote:
dst87 wrote:By my reckoning you must almost be there now Kath - I hope you have had a pleasant journey!

Let's hope so Duncan. Kath's original post was on 3rd September. ;) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

No more quiet coach.

Postby octocruiser » 04 Dec 2014 14:05

Borneo wrote:Kath you won't believe this but we had the tickets given us . Haven't been on a train ever before (though hubby has but many years ago) . Some one was sat in our seats and just gave us one of those stares . I gave them a lovely smile when they had to get up and go . The rest of the journey and return were fine .
I have an excuse for not replying to this in September. I was on that wonderful cruise around the Baltic's .
Glad your back home safe means we can see you in January :D

We have only started using trains again over recent years, but I had to go to school by train every day for five years during WW2. We have only used the railway occasionally in between. It was definitelybthe best way to get to London for us if we wanted to do a show or exhibition, etc but the car was used for most other journies.

It is very useful for family visits now that we don't drive long distances - and with our railcards is quite economical as long as we book early. We can go direct to both Durham and to Plymouth or even Liskeard from here.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England