Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Amtrak

Amtrak

Amtrak

Postby Mungo » 10 Jan 2015 09:43

Anyone been on Amtrak across the USA? Doing this to get to Seattle to join an Alaskan cruise. :D
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Amtrak

Postby JollyJill » 10 Jan 2015 10:13

Mungo wrote:Anyone been on Amtrak across the USA? Doing this to get to Seattle to join an Alaskan cruise. :D

I've not been right across on Amtrak, only from Boston to New York. It was a few years ago now but I remember it being a very comfortable journey.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Amtrak

Postby Mungo » 10 Jan 2015 10:31

JollyJill wrote:
Mungo wrote:Anyone been on Amtrak across the USA? Doing this to get to Seattle to join an Alaskan cruise. :D

I've not been right across on Amtrak, only from Boston to New York. It was a few years ago now but I remember it being a very comfortable journey.

Thanks Jill. :D

We are onboard for 2 nights :o Have a "roomette" booked. They are tiny rooms with 2 seats which fold out to a bed at night with a bunk above. :) It will be a train journey with a difference! :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Amtrak

Postby Jimmy the One » 10 Jan 2015 11:14

Hope DH fingerprints match up this time Sue or you'll be doing the trip on your own :lol: :lol:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Amtrak

Postby Mungo » 10 Jan 2015 12:39

Jimmy the One wrote:Hope DH fingerprints match up this time Sue or you'll be doing the trip on your own :lol: :lol:

:lol:

I wonder what immigration is like in Chicago? ;)
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Amtrak

Postby JollyJill » 10 Jan 2015 12:47

Anywhere has to be better than NY. :roll:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Amtrak

Postby Mungo » 10 Jan 2015 12:50

JollyJill wrote:

Anywhere has to be better than NY. :roll:

Miami is my experience is the worst. :o Although hubby will say Orlando where he was detained and questioned as Jim mentioned because they said his fingerprints didn't match. :shock:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Amtrak

Postby tomvet » 10 Jan 2015 15:24

Just fly via Dublin or Shannon and all the immigration hassle is completed at their. Just walk off the plane as if it were a domestic flight. May not be so convenient for those in London but for anyone flying from a regional UK airport via LON, might be an option to fly via Dublin and certainly a lot less hassle both transiting and pre-clearing customs / immigration.

But to answer your Q - you can travel coast to coast from seattle to NY but it involves transfers in Washington and Chicaago. This is a 3 hour, 17 hour and 46 hour train rides!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Amtrak

Postby Stan Deasy » 10 Jan 2015 17:33

Hi Mungo, we considered,about 4 years ago, Amtrak as part of a 28 day package which included 2 TA s, and Amtrak from NY to Miami but could not get the rail section as it was fully booked. However, I do remember reading a review of the same journey by a well respected member on another cruise forum,(who may be called Neil ;) :) ),and he definitely stated that ,and I quote: "It would be physically impossible to actually swing a cat round in our Cabinne". Best of luck, Stan.
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Amtrak

Postby Mungo » 10 Jan 2015 18:24

Stan Deasy wrote:

Hi Mungo, we considered,about 4 years ago, Amtrak as part of a 28 day package which included 2 TA s, and Amtrak from NY to Miami but could not get the rail section as it was fully booked. However, I do remember reading a review of the same journey by a well respected member on another cruise forum,(who may be called Neil ;) :) ),and he definitely stated that ,and I quote: "It would be physically impossible to actually swing a cat round in our Cabinne". Best of luck, Stan.

Ah, is that Ida's hubby? :lol:

We are leaving a day earlier as the train was booked. it means we get an extra night in Seattle at the same cost. :D Yes the "roomettes" are tiny! Take a look.

Last edited by Mungo on 10 Jan 2015 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to Rail