Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Delay Repay

Delay Repay

Delay Repay

Postby Mungo » 04 Feb 2015 23:16

Just before Christmas, hubby and I had a weekend in London. We chose to travel by the High Speed train for which extra has to be paid. All was fine going but 5 minutes after setting off for the return home from St Pancras an announcement was made saying the train was to be cancelled at Ashford due to a fault which meant it couldn't travel on the non High Speed tracks. Instead of just Canterbury and Ramsgate after Ashford we had to take the slow coastal route stopping at about 10 stops. :x

I said to hubby that I was sure you could apply to get money back if there was a delay even though nothing was mentioned on board. :roll: Sure enough I found a form, filled it in sent it off with train ticket and details etc. We each got back £9.80. OK not a huge amount but that's almost £20 towards another trip for us to London. :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Delay Repay

Postby avidcruiser » 05 Feb 2015 01:07

I have been on a delayed train where the ticket chap actively gave out forms and encouraged passengers to complete them for compensation. After this, on yet another delayed train, we knew what to do.

I think there is one amount for delays over an hour and a further sum for longer delays. Thankfully we haven't had to claim for some time.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Re: Delay Repay

Postby Meg50 » 05 Feb 2015 08:39

my daughter commutes into London Bridge every day - she papers her walls with compo vouchers which she redeems against the cost of her next season ticket.

The scheme is not well advertised and I make a point of telling people about it.

Mind you, she said when there were even more problems than usual just after Christmas they regularly seemed to manage to get them in a fraction inside the compo time limit!

Every train line should have a link on their website to explain how to apply
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Delay Repay

Postby tomvet » 05 Feb 2015 10:42

I recently got my credit card statement with the costs from our Dubai trip on it. I noticed that the cross border transaction fee had increased from 1.75% to 2.25%. I queried this change in my contract and why I was not notified - I was told I was notified last May in the media and on the bank website. I then had to point out that when there is a change in the terms of a contract both on my and their side that each has to notify the other personally in writing and that mass advertisement would not do. I was then told that they were the T&Cs (how jobsworth!) and that it was bank policy to use these methods of notification. I then suggested a policy review on the basis that it was not effective in notifying me. I was told my comment would be noted and it would be passed up the line! I then had to escalate the issue to a formal complaint and received a call from a supervisor 10 days after the initial call! :roll: After much insistence about adhering to T&Cs and policies, I had to threaten bringing the issue to the Financial Regulator (not that they are noted for their sterling work in financial regulation :roll: ). I immediately was offered an apology and that as a gesture of goodwill, they would refund €20 to my credit card. Funny thing was that the total transaction fees only came to €18 and the difference between 1.75% and 2.25% was about €5 which I would have been satisfied with! Now that I know the costs, I can manage how I conduct cross border transactions better from here on!

The thing is that most people would not even look for not to mind notice these changes and companies then get away with it. It may be cheaper to 'pay off' the few complainants who persist with their complaint with 'gestures of goodwill' than actually do what is globally correct.

Learning point: Not enough of us complain and when we do we give up far too easily! Yes sometimes when persisting with these bodies, one does lose the will to live!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Delay Repay

Postby Mungo » 05 Feb 2015 19:22

I agree that we need to be made aware of our rights! ;)

I'm not usually one to complain but do when I know it's the just thing to do! :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to Rail