Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Untouched by human hands

Untouched by human hands

Untouched by human hands

Postby octocruiser » 13 Apr 2015 10:06

We have had a succession of Senior railcards over the past few years, each bought with Tesco vouchers.

We have another rail journey coming up shortly but our passes had expired. I had enough vouchers (£15) for one railpass so applied for a Two Together for which the Tesco application form duly arrived by email within a couple of minutes .

I was a bit dismayed to find that this time the railcard issuers required digital passport type photos with very specific paramenters to be uploaded. Time is a bit short and I feared that any errors would be rejected and delay the process.

This is not my forte so I spent a frustrating hour or two - or three - or four looking through my gallery to find photos that could be cropped to get the desired very specific dimension in Mbs and dpis :o plus a suitable background etc. I had to enlist aid by way of sending some by email to get a relly who knew what she was doing to make some adjustments . Thank goodness for t'inernet!

I then uploaded mine and got a terse message advising that I try a different one . :? I had a quick search and found the one I had uploaded on here for my CM badge Piccie - that one got through . Phew! Luckily the one of Himself got instant acceptance . However, this was only on technical dimensions. They could still be rejected for unsuitable content I was told!

With fingers crossed I submitted the application for the railcard at 11.43 am and received an email at 16.58 to say the card had been dispatched by First Class Post. On a Sunday !!

So presumably both photos were accepted. Had they been scrutinised by a robot ?

Meanwhile I had gone ahead and bought the tickets with fingers crossed declaring that we had a railcard.

This time we haven't had as much notice as usual so we had to pay £80.30 for the two of us for the one way journey from Durham To Cheltenham (4hrs) in less then a couple of weeks time - and no table seats left :( . So that's a saving of about £40 for an outlay of £15 and we will be doing other rail journies in the next year as well.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Untouched by human hands

Postby adogap » 13 Apr 2015 11:08

Thank you Kath. This sounds like a very interesting method of exploring GB and one that I was not aware of. Our rail network in NI is quite limited but basically covers the coastal route from Londonderry to Dublin and seniors can apply for a railcard enabling free travel for a period of 3 years. As most trains stop at every ‘hole in the hedge’ it can take a long time to arrive at your destination :yawn: Does the railcard you apply for cover travel in Scotland and Wales?

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Untouched by human hands

Postby octocruiser » 13 Apr 2015 12:45

adogap wrote:Thank you Kath. This sounds like a very interesting method of exploring GB and one that I was not aware of. Our rail network in NI is quite limited but basically covers the coastal route from Londonderry to Dublin and seniors can apply for a railcard enabling free travel for a period of 3 years. As most trains stop at every ‘hole in the hedge’ it can take a long time to arrive at your destination :yawn: Does the railcard you apply for cover travel in Scotland and Wales?

Chris

HI Chris

The card is described as covering the whole of UK. So I assume that would also be NI, but not of course Eire.

I envy you the free rail travel. Ours gives us 30% off all fares. There is a variety of cards available, Senior, student, Family,etc plus this latest one, Two Together which can apply to any two people (always) travelling together . The photos mean you can't invite another friend along if the nominated holder can't come :roll: Neither can either of them use it when travelling alone.

Using £15 worth of Tesco vouchers means I get them half price . The normal price is £30 each for the year, which makes the Two Together great value as you only need one for the two of you. If you are buying them online with real money you can have a small reduction on a two year ticket plus another year free. But that still makes the Tesco route a better buy - especially as you don't need to renew on the day the old one expires, you can wait until you have a journey coming up and then apply for renewal.

This link give all the gen on who qualifies for a card - it looks as if most people could slot themselves into one niche or another.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/railcard-discount/

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Untouched by human hands

Postby adogap » 13 Apr 2015 19:52

As you say Kath, there is something here for everyone. 30% represents very good savings if you were to use trains extensively. We had considered travelling by rail as an excellent means of sightseeing, especially out of season when hotels would be less expensive. Thanks for sharing the tip :D

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Untouched by human hands

Postby Meg50 » 13 Apr 2015 20:03

but only on Virgin Trains
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Untouched by human hands

Postby octocruiser » 13 Apr 2015 22:32

Meg50 wrote:but only on Virgin Trains

Pardon ? What is only on Virgin trains ?

Cards apply across the whole rail network. In our case it ' s Crosscountry trains, but our cards can equally be used on other operators.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England