Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Discovery, cabin C020

Spirit of Discovery, cabin C020

Postby Arizona » 09 Nov 2019 19:02

We booked late on a cabin guarantee basis and were allocated a well positioned standard cabin on Deck 9. We were very happy with this cabin.

Good points:
A deep glass fronted balcony with comfortable cushioned seating and a small table. Tartan travel rugs for cooler days.
A very large comfy bed
Light, airy decor
2 comfy armchairs with cushions
A large sliding door wardrobe with 56 hangers, safe and drawers
Extras including Olympus binoculars, large umbrella, fast hairdryer, tea and coffee making, glass water bottles, milk in the fridge, fruit bowl
Excellent soundproofing. No engine noise. No corridor noise. No vibration.
Easily controllable, silent air con
Good varied lighting options
Plenty of 3 pin sockets and 2 USB sockets on the bedside lights
Very good included room service, including the option to order from the dining room menus during meal times
Large screen tv with British channels (satellite coverage permitting), live coverage from the theatre and on demand video
Compact but well thought out bathroom with excellent towels, good sized glass shower cubicle and ample cupboard storage

Less good:
Limited drawer storage - use those 56 hangers!
Fridge too small for supplied champagne bottle
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 09 Nov 2019 19:55

Many thanks for your cabin review Arizona, I am glad that the pros seemed to have outweighed the cons. It is always very useful to get a good cabin review, we must give this ship a try. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Spirit of Discovery, cabin C020

Postby rdw123 » 10 Nov 2019 08:35

That’s a bit of a bummer, the fridge being too small for the champagne bottle. That means I shall just have to drink it quicker!
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby khkate » 11 Nov 2019 09:45

rdw123 wrote:That’s a bit of a bummer, the fridge being too small for the champagne bottle. That means I shall just have to drink it quicker!

I highlighted this issue with Saga - the fact that one cannot fit the complimentary bottle of Hush Heath into the fridge, or indeed any other bottle - and their response was "We would encourage guests to ask the cabin steward to chill any drinks that are required including the sparkling wine".

hmm, the cabin stewards have enough to do without having to deal with this. I am sure there are less cabin stewards pro rata. We were on Deck 13 (Sun Deck) which only has 16 cabins (8 each side), but still there was only 1 cabin steward for all those cabins. Bearing in mind, the cabins are much bigger and thus take a lot longer to clean, it kept him busy, so to add the task of chilling drinks somewhere and retrieving them when passengers want a wee tipple is a bit much.

I would post up images of our cabin, but the forum no longer allows me to post photos, no matter how hard i try!
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Arizona » 11 Nov 2019 14:03

I agree. The cabin stewards, although always smiling and helpful, seem to have an awful lot to do already. I can’t imagine who can have thought that a fridge you can’t fit anything into other than a small milk carton was fit for purpose. I have never come across a fridge like this before.
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 11 Nov 2019 19:17

Arizona, in a nutshell. Stewards always smiling and supposedly there to cater for needs but on all lines I've been on it doesn't work that way.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Arizona » 11 Nov 2019 20:01

I must say that the cabin stewards on Saga are outstanding. Nothing is too much trouble for them but the company should not be giving them extra work to make up for poor decision making on choosing these inadequate fridges.
It’s unfortunate that instead of focusing on what a lovely ship this is we are nitpicking about the fridge but the fact is that this fridge doesn’t do the job required.
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom